Cultivated Reef

40B Box O' Rocks

Acielot

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got 3 different fungia factories as well as a small radioactive Dragon eyes and gorilla nipple colony around 70 polyps collectively. As an early gift from my parents.

I think there might be a hidden red gem in there also I'll have to wait for them to all open up.

I'll have pics tomorrow once everything looks happy. :)

Well my worst fear has been realized. Bryopsis has sprouted up every where. I've been good this time around and doing regular WCs as well as using media and now i am battling this terrible pest. I guess I'll have to be more aggressive and go the tech m route to eradicate it.

All I know is at this point is that nothing will be transferred to the 40 from this tank.

I cleaned up my zoanthids since that is where the pest had routed itself but it will be back.

I had too do a deep cleaning on the tank last night. I siphoned out and plucked most of the bryopsis, got rid of the frag rack for the time being, glued down the acro and the monti cap, then reorganized the sandbed. It was very cloudy but hopefully I have given the bryopsis a good punch to the gut.

In other news the stand has had the inside painted a crisp white and the side panels have been attached. I also made a power strip section on the inside to keep the wires clean.

Really at this point I just need to make the doors, plumb everything, stain the outside and order some rock. This sucker will be wet in no time.

CAM00072_zpsa5p4gzyn.jpg

New FTS.

I picked up some wood panels for the front doors which are getting cut and painted tomorrow. I cut the pvc for the overflow but I realized that I used all of the pvc which I had planned on using for the return not a scythe prop.Looks like I'll be running to the store again tomorrow. Perhaps I'll even get water in it fingerscrossed

X%20D2347%2012%20Zombie%20Polyp_zpsr9uga

Look at this hot piece of work. I think this is a gem of a zoanthid if I have ever seen one. Snagged it for a measly $70 after shipping and adding things to my cart to offset the cost of shipping. :/

Almost worth every penny until I find out what I actually get.

I can't wait to get it.

I'm having a hard time imagining how awesome a garden of these will be.

Edit: My order was canceled because the cyphastrea was out of stock. I replaced out with red people eaters

These zoas better be worth it

I wasn't meant to be happy. Apparently my first order being canceled gave someone else the chance to buy the polyp. When I replaced my order the polyp was already sold. :(

Watertest today! After I get the 10

gallon water changed and dealgaed. Hopefully the tank is quiet and works smoothly fingerscrossed

I'm a bit bummed that the zoas fell through. Now I'll be stalking the site until another gets posted. They haven't responded my plea. Maybe I just won't bother with PEA again. :/

Thinking about a pair of bluehead wrasse as the "big" fish in the tank, They get to 7" but that is only if they become terminal males otherwise they stay small and yellow - good contrast to a pygmy angel or possum wrasse. They are Caribbean so they will fit into the theme of the tank. The only thing that will be truly out of place is my clownfish and the occasional coral.

Current Possible Fish Livestock:

• Bluehead or Yellowhead Wrasse Pair
  • Possum Wrasse - not caribbean
  • Pygmy angel
  • Chalk Bass
  • Blue Reef Chromis
  • Cocoa Damsel
  • Rock Beauty Angelfish(maybe?)
  • Flame Cardinal
  • Neon Goby
  • Royal Gramma
  • Molly Miller Blenny
  • Yellowhead Jawfish

Invert list

• Gold banded shrimp
  • Penderson shrimp
  • Pistol Shrimp

Ordered my Mantis and bluehead wrasses as well as 2 urchins. I was going to order a pygmy angel also but I don't have enough fishtank space for one at the moment.

What size tank is this?

40B in a few weeks. 10 gallon currently. The new fish and Mantis are going into Qt the urchins are being added the 10.

If the wrasses pair doesn't work out I have a 50g Fowlr to remove one.

llama roadkill
40B in a few weeks. 10 gallon currently. The new fish and Mantis are going into Qt the urchins are being added the 10.

If the wrasses pair doesn't work out I have a 50g Fowlr to remove one.

Ya, I don't think a Bluehead will work as they get like 7". I don't know about a Yellowhead, but it probably won't work either.

llama roadkill
Yeah I realize. They'll have a home if they do get too big but they are juveniles for the time being.

Sure, they'll be fine as juvies, but not permanently.

They are one the smallest wrasse in the caribbean so if they actually do get too big they will be rehomed.

Fun fact: They are not immune to anemone stings bit will willingly hide near the tentacles stay safe.

Hopefully mine don't get eaten

llama roadkill
They are one the smallest wrasse in the caribbean so if they actually do get too big they will be rehomed.

Fun fact: They are not immune to anemone stings bit will willingly hide near the tentacles stay safe.

Hopefully mine don't get eaten

Very interesting!

Ya, they are pretty much the smallest species...

Is this going to be a FOWLR? If so, what about a Slender Filefish? They get like 4". Or a Sharpnose Puffer.

Here are lists that could work.

Reef:

Pair of Neons

1 Chalk Bass

1 Blue Reef Chromis

3 Flame Cards

1 Molly Miller

1 Yellowhead Jawfish

Maybe a tiny goby or possibly Damsel

FOWLR:

Temporary Bluehead or Yellowhead Wrasse, possibly pair

1 Slender Filefish or Sharpnose Puffer

1 Chalk Bass

1 Molly Miller

3 Flame Cards

Maybe a Damsel or 2

Just my opinions.

I fear that Rock Beauties will get too big.

Archived