Cultivated Reef

40B Box O' Rocks

Acielot

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you can do a soft cycle to preserve the life on the rocks.

Even though the rock has been in transit for 3.5 days?

I'm trying to soft cycle the gulf live rock and its looking hopeful so far. The sponges appear to be regenerating a bit

Soft cycle just means you're doing a lot of water changes to make sure ammonia never gets too high. Th cycle takes longer but the corals, sponges, life that comes on those rocks have a better chance of making it out alive than if you let the ammonia sky rocket and kill everything before nitrifying bacteria do their thing. If going this route it is best to cure in as small a tank/bucket as possible since you will be doing a LOT of water changes. Biggest mistake I did was to cure it in a 34G tank. eeeks.

So I managed to kill my blue green acro, green pocillopora, blue green milli and perhaps the rainbow milli if it continues to deteriorate.

Oh and icing on the cake the mighty Tech-M treatment didn`t work for me at all. Bryopsis is still at full power and half my Sps are dead. Nothing else showed signs of stress.

Luckily my new BOP is still happy and my red digi is only retracted a bit.

My x-factor monti is still solid pastel purple but I discovered that it was actually growing on the underside of the frag. Strangely there are no distinct coralites. Any input on any of this?

This is the reason I won't suddenly up my magnesium (I have bryopsis too). I've recently followed the successful hair algae experiment thread. The guy basically took 1 tblsp baking soda and 1 cap ful peroxide. Made it into a gooey mix. Then with a pipette carefully applied it for 5 minutes to affected areas. Then siphoned it away and algae gone. I tried this with bryopsis and it did kill it. Now to see if it comes back.

Please bring back your avatar. :(

It came back for me even after the blackout and H2O2 treatment . Also which is why I just tried this treatment :(

It sucks that my favorite sps died. It was just starting do really well too. The bryopsis was encroaching on its base which is why I finally tried it out. I just hope the Lfs still has the mother colony.

In good news I have sourced some ivory bush coral. It's plain brown with a hint of green and red. A local reefer got a bit on their TBS liverock and grew it from a small portion. Hopefully it will be this easy to find the other coral on my list.

Please bring back your avatar. :(

All in good time Kat. I'm taking a fresh photo on the 14th. Same pic as last time but this one won't be from 2009

C'mon Kat take it easy ;) this bryopsis has taken most of my favorite corals. I'm not exactly in a selfie kind of mood :lol:

Don't be fooled this isn't the final rockscape. The left side will be taller and if I can accomplish it extend to the overflow box as a shelf.

DSCN2196_zpsda640a87.jpg

The Oculina diffusa Ivory Bush Coral under actinics

3b36e89a-4d5f-4b6c-b811-b239214ac12b_zps

Some more starlet coral. I hope this colony grows. My last one never took off. It only encrusted itself more around the edges.

DSCN2198_zps76c0424d.jpg

Some of my favorite zoas transplanted after a good dip in h2o2. The phynohornets. If you can make it out they are next to 6 orange tunicates, they are each about the size of a grain of rice.

DSCN2199_zps6a810505.jpg

Yeah I know. I'm not adding anything more until everything settles down. Its funny though the diatoms are only on the right side of the tank. There's a light sprinkles of them on the left side but they are other wise confined to the one side. The cucumber likes them. You can see paths where it has stripped the rock of organics.

Okay I lied. I have an order of gorgs showing up next week. Along with a neon goby and red starfish. I guess this tank will be echinoderm heavy with 2 pencil urchins, 1 pincushion, 1 serpent and 2 brittle stars, as well as a cucumber...(cucumbers are echinoderms right?)

And look at the bright side. I was tempted to get a atlantic blue tang and clown wrasse too. Don't worry they won't show up.

I'm having the order delayed until everything settles down. Its getting crazy in that tank. Isopods, bryopsis-like algae, urchins eating the HH coral, and Camilo (the magician Bluehead Wrasse) is picture shy.

I'm in the process of breaking down the 10. But I'm having some conflicting interest.

• The bryopsis is still not eradicated although I once again removed most of it manually on Saturday.
  • Clownfish and LTA are not Caribbean in origin. (clowns will be put into a FOWLR system but the nem will be left homeless unless sold)
  • Other corals that are not native will be sumped or confined to the frag rack. (star polyps, Duncan coral, anthelia)
  • Might want to turn the 10g into a mantis tank and reuse the rockwork + non native corals (after a thorough drying out and cleaning.)

Good news:

• Distaplia corolla has been spotted in several locations as well as some red boring sponge and a few tiny anemones
  • This Friday I'm going snorkeling I'll try to bring back some cool stuff for the tank, algae, a fish or two, some sponge/tunicates/ anemones and If I can find some again a nudi or two and some shrimp.
  • My baby plates are eating and starting to grow a bit. They were all super tiny but the biggest is about the size of a bottle cap now.
  • The acans are clean of brospsis and have started to completely cover their frag disks. They will take the place of the rough star coral in this tank.

I have some pictures but I'm waiting for Kats profile pic request before I upload any more. :flower:

The current state of the 10 gallon. Look how big my anemone has gotten. A truly wonderful turnaround. The lights are the old 2 bulb t5s hence the terrible colors. It's a bit more green than it was under the leds.

DSCN2218_zpscce7cf91.jpg

The old 10 gallon during renovations and before bryospsis

DSCN0152_zpsd51b427e.jpg

NOM NOM NOM. The Ivory Bush eating some Mysis and Cyclops.

6e209285-8244-420c-a810-a8c1c4a33e1a_zps

Dem polyps :lol:

DSCN2221_zpsf74cb7fd.jpg

The FTS

DSCN2224_zps8d9e06cd.jpg

The Trojan horse. It is long dead but this beauty is what ushered in the bryopsis

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/jamesb2012/media/DSCN0154_zps1542907c.jpg.html'>DSCN0154_zps1542907c.jpg

I like that ivory bush coral.

I've made a fraglett if you ever want to try your hand at them. :)

I stopped into my favorite LFS and would you guess what they just had brought in? Some ORA coral. I wasn't going with the intention of actually buying anything but then I saw it. The unmistakable glow of an orange setosa. I decided that my ORA BOP needed an ORA friend so now my beautiful setosa is on the sandbed getting acclimated to the lights.

Ive been doing some algae control the last few days. Some cyano, diatoms and hair algae popped up as well as some lesser byopsis.

I say lesser bryopsis because my turbo decimated it within a few days. It definitely isn't the regular plague stuff. The stuff from the 10 gallon however was the terrible strain. Anyways it's all cleared up save the remaining diatoms. I'll be ready to properly setup my fuge now :)

The ivory bush corals are growing!!!! They are starting to extend flesh over the epoxy and superglue as well as start new branches and new polyps. I cant wait for these suckers to fill in.

A bunch has been happening so:

• I've nuked some of the rock from the 10 gallon and added it to the DT of the 40 gallon.
  • X-Factor monti cap is mounted and starting to encrust.
  • zoas on the overflow are attached and multiplying
  • my ring of fires have put out a nearly solid orange polyp :wacko: (I guess its a morph it hasn't shown any other colors yet)
  • removed most of the macro, it was either not growing or the turbo ate it. The caluerpa is the only thing left.
  • Scoly is still eating really slowly (it takes around 2 hours for it to finish some mysis)
  • removed the frag rack because it just doesn't have a purpose right now.
  • setosa is still alive, not sure if it is starting to grow yet.
  • the red digi has finally engulfed it's frag plug and the superglue and is starting to encrust the rock.

In other news has anyone else had issues with NR lately? I can't quote most of the time and I can't paste image code or plain text for that matter. I also don't get notified of when I get quoted. (settings are all the same still.)

Archived