Cultivated Reef

40B Box O' Rocks

Acielot

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've finally figured out how to white balance my camera, sorta. The coral look better than in the old pictures but they have a heavy green tint. I guess I need to get a white card or something like that. Anyways I was going to do a picture dump but I have solve this color issue.

The stand is complete but I don't like the stained wood since everything else in my room is matte black enamel. I am going to make it uniform with perhaps a pattern of negative space which will be the unpainted stain. Pics when it gets painted and setup again.

jedimasterben

I've finally figured out how to white balance my camera, sorta. The coral look better than in the old pictures but they have a heavy green tint. I guess I need to get a white card or something like that. Anyways I was going to do a picture dump but I have solve this color issue.

What camera are you shooting with? What software are you using to import/color correct them?

The stand is complete but I don't like the stained wood since everything else in my room is matte black enamel. I am going to make it uniform with perhaps a pattern of negative space which will be the unpainted stain. Pics when it gets painted and setup again.

I'd do black with white trim for pop :)

What camera are you shooting with? What software are you using to import/color correct them?

I haven't used a computer program yet but I have access to gimp an Photoshop from CS4

As for the camera its a Nikon cool-pix. I don't have it in front of me at the moment. I just discovered the manual white balance last night.

jedimasterben

Ah ok, so it's a PnS. Probably doesn't shoot in RAW, so the post software won't matter too much. Can you set a custom white balance on it?

Ah ok, so it's a PnS. Probably doesn't shoot in RAW, so the post software won't matter too much. Can you set a custom white balance on it?

It can do a "white card" manual which takes a test photo then compensates for the color temp. I can't actually set the balance myself beyond that.

I got a few great shots but my acro still looks puke green as well the rest of the tank. The zoanthids look true to life but everything else is off.

Fixed it. I guess I had to white balance at 10K. I can get true to life colors even at 20K now.

I got some good shots of the acro and lps but everything else was peeved because I was doing algae removal and rock dusting.

I found a Red spotted hawkish at petco today for $8. I wanted to take it home because they are caribbean fish but I am already extremely overstocked. Hopefully there will be another one that I can hunt down for a deal like that :/

As for the drawings the gorillaz and Nicky minaj???

Yep. Nickis nose is faint but it's there.

I also never got around to drawing Russell.

I've stayed away from drawing normal human forms lately. They have to have an out of shape body part to be complete and normal people just don't have that so I've stuck to cryptids and human/animal/demon hybrid things.

Finally ordered my live rock.

10lbs from KP Aquatics

17lbs from Gulfliverock.com

I really hope that I get at least a Caribbean Rose Coral and a decent amount of sponges. Stuff like macro and mantis shrimp really are not all that important although I would have no issues getting a fish HH.

I keep stalling posting some new pictures because they don't look as good on photobucket as the do on my camera. I promise that I will have some once I get my rock. fingerscrossed

jedimasterben

I've noticed that my pics uploaded to photobucket don't look all that great. That's why i just moved everything over to Picasa Web :)

(ok, I really did it for the restrictionless bandwidth and unlimited storage for anything less than 2048 pixels wide)

Thanks Ben I'll check it out. The problem is that for some reason the sharpness is lost between my camera and being uploaded.

My already poor quality pictures look even worse once uploaded. I need to hurry up my DSLR purchase.

Gulfliverock is set to arrive tomorrow evening, I never heard back from Dan but hopefully he read my notes. :fingerscrossed:

KP liverock is likely to show up tomorrow evening or Thursday morning. Hopefully the former but I can't get my hopes up.

I'll take pics and compare the two just in case anyone wanted a side by side comparison.

Got my GulfLiveRock earlier. It came well packaged but it seemed that most of the inverts were dead. There were a few isopods, crabs, and chitons/limpets but they all just fell off the rock dead :/ I put one of my pincushion urchins in the tank to deal with cleaning up the corpses.

There is however a ton of sponge that appears to be still alive as well as some bizzare clusters of algae and some nice mini colonies of siderastrea radians. There is a small portion of some LPS skeleton but there is no way to know exactly what it was. No Caribbean Rose coral but the rock looks really nice overall.

KP aquatics liverock is supposed to get here tomorrow evening. Hopefully it has a bit more motile life but some more sponges and coral would be awesome. (especially one of those rose corals)

Pictures!

You got it. :)

ORA Birds of Paradise Frag

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/jamesb2012/media/DSCN2134_zpsf8ddbe24.jpg.html'>DSCN2134_zpsf8ddbe24.jpg

Blue/Green Acro

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/jamesb2012/media/DSCN2148_zpsc438bfcc.jpg.html'>DSCN2148_zpsc438bfcc.jpg

The Gulfliverock, excuse the cloudy water. I accidentally stirred up the sand a bit.

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/jamesb2012/media/DSCN2172_zpsa7359d0b.jpg.html'>DSCN2172_zpsa7359d0b.jpg

The HH. Starlet coral, chicken liver sponge, finger sponge, ball sponge and a clam. I have spotted some anemone tentacles but I haven't got an ID yet

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/jamesb2012/media/DSCN2175_zps4162718c.jpg.html'>DSCN2175_zps4162718c.jpg

I will wait to post some more until my KP liverock gets here and the water clears up again. These pictures suck because I am trying to shoot through milk.

Caribbean Hard/Soft Coral, I'm trying to assemble either similar looking substitutes or the actual Caribbean species. If you want to help out feel free to recommend some coral. The list is formatted like

Common Coral Name (scientific name) possible look alike.

Caribbean Rose coral (Manicina areolata)

Staghorn (Acropora cervicornis) green slimer

Elkhorn (Acropora Palmata)

Clubtip finger (Porites porites)

Branched finger (Porites furcata)

Thin finger (Porites divaricata)

Pillar (Dendrogyra cylindrus)

Ivory Bush (Oculina diffusa)

Yellow pencil (Madracis mirabilis) yellow tabling acro or a yellow stylo

Grooved brain (Diploria labrinththiformis)

Lettuce Coral

• Leptoceris/Hellioceris cucullata
  • Agaricia humilis
  • Agaricia tenuifolia

Ridged Cactus (Mycetophyllia lamarckiana)

Rough Star (Isophyllastrea rigida)

Spiny Flower (Mussa angulosa)

The ones that should be easy to track down are:

Scolymia

Virtually all the gorgonians

Sun Coral

Ricordea

Hidden Cup Coral

Unfortunately most are dead. :/ it seems that the large pink one in the last picture actually came back around. It was gaping and looked dead when I first added it. Now it responds to tapping on the glass and can seal itself tight. I hope it sticks around through the cycle.

There was a large purple chiton that came on the rock (like the size of a quarter) but it was dead and stayed dead.

I've added a pencil urchin, pincushion urchin and a cucumber all from the 10 gallon to help start breaking down this dead matter off the rocks. I'm planning on cycling this tank gently as possible and as such the protein skimmer is running full power and the tank will get a 10% water change every few days. I put a ton of grape caluerpa that I trimmed from the mantis tank in there to help with the nutrients and such.

I just really hope that the water clears up a bit faster.

Finally!!! USPS tracking says the rock is out for delivery.

I might just order again because i doubt that this rock is still alive at all. No fault of KP at all though

Archived