ReefCleaners.org

FishBrawler ReefStock goodies

FishBrawler

FishBrawler

Hmmm. The electives part would get me; I love electronics and band. In my school, some people tank precalc in freshman, but that's it. It's pretty difficult to take more than 1-2 AP courses each year.

And +1 on the atoll look. I usually like those.

Although putting corals inside the semicircle could get tricky due to shading problems.

I don't think that a freshman could do that in my school do to requirements but even if they could I can't imagine them staying afloat as there is 30 math problems a nihht and I can't possibly imagine that surviving that! Haha. As far as the whole shading thing goes, I have thought this ober immensly!... just look at my science notebook.... (doodles haha) I am planning on any really large branching corals to be as low as possible to allow for the large amount of highlight corals. Already made that mistake with my montipora capicornis in my current 55... dude puts out a lot of shade! I also like this atoll look as it provides high flow and low flow areas. So what your opinion on ato? My dad won't let ne get anything but the best when it comes to moving a ton of water so should I fo with the tunze nano ato or their regular ato?
  • Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have awesome parents.

Tunze is okay, but IMO the Vortechs are the best; Tunzes take up more space.

I was thinking of montipora when I said shading. I think that you could put one hanging to the outer edge of the atoll. On the inner edge you'd have to put flatter corals, and that might look unnatural.

Thinking about it, just stay with what you have now. You'll be fine.

FishBrawler
You have awesome parents.

Tunze is okay, but IMO the Vortechs are the best; Tunzes take up more space.

I was thinking of montipora when I said shading. I think that you could put one hanging to the outer edge of the atoll. On the inner edge you'd have to put flatter corals, and that might look unnatural.

Thinking about it, just stay with what you have now. You'll be fine.

Ya I am totally going with vortechs once I save enough... was think that it could be a christmas present but the xbox 720 is coming out around then and that is coming first I hate to say... but I think I could probably get one this summer cuz my grandma supplies me with a summer job for cash! But the above post was really about an automatic top off system (ato). Which ome do you think is better? Nano or regular?

FishBrawler
looking good so far. and i do like the concept of that second arch connecting the other island, but either way it's going to look good. definitely following along.

I may try again to connect them to see how it looks but that will have to be next week when I am back at my dads house. The pieces that gave me are just so big I just can't find something that is small enough to look good. I may be force to break some but I don't want to break the pieces in fear of want the piece later an it being broken!

Reefmaster1996

I would go with the nano version, no need for the regular, you can put those extra 100$ torwards something else like a mp10.

FishBrawler
I would go with the nano version, no need for the regular, you can put those extra 100$ torwards something else like a mp10.

I was the nking about that but does it have the same amount of safety features? The only thing is I don't know if it does stay on for 5 minutes and then I shuts of will if pump again or will you have to reset it or will it somehow let you know? Those are my main concerns.

FishBrawler

So here's what I am thinking for this weekend.

Step one:

-buy a 20 gallon high.

Step two:

-Cut pannels for sump

Step three:

-go to the local fish store for silicone

Step four:

-mark sump with markers

Step five:

-complete sump (haha. Easier said than done)

Next thing. Hang my light.

How do people do that? What stylish things do people use?

Furthermore, get plumbing for the tank and plumb this 8itch! Plans for water are set for april... hopefully if I get my pump for my birthday...

Thoughts?

FishBrawler

Haha. Thats funny! I've comtemplated that exact option but I don't think I have the skills or money. Maybe I will do that when I upgrade to a radion! ;)right now I am thinking about hanging it but I don't know what to attach it to the ceiling with.

Reefmaster1996

Yeah I mean diy is DIY, it is whatever you make it, if you want to hang form the ceiling than use some wire and hooks and go for it.

FishBrawler

Yeah I mean diy is DIY, it is whatever you make it, if you want to hang form the ceiling than use some wire and hooks and go for it.

Well it came with wires so that's what I was thinking. I will probably confer with my dad and see what he thinks and then again with my grandpa next week and see if we can jurry rig something together. I like the aluminum idea but I don't think it looks as smooth with a fixture this big.

FishBrawler

So I planed on at least getting started on plumbing and the sump today... even if I only get the tank... so is there anything I should be aware of. I know there is special silicone, but as far as pvc, is there a special type? Special pvc glue?

the white schedule 40 PVC found at your local home depot or lowe's is fine. you don't NEED the gray schedule 80.

buy the pipe in the longest length they have, i believe 10'.

you'll need primer and solvent here

again, you don't NEED the true unions, they do make things easier though, not sold locally however.

example of a true union. you can use these with these to get the same result, they ARE sold locally.

i'm not sure if you decided on your size yet, but mine is 1" drain and 3/4" return. there are pictures in my thread you can look at.

use one of these to cut the PVC if you don't have one. you can also use many toothed miter saw if you have one, just be careful doing it that way.

DRY FIT EVERYTHING MULTIPLE TIMES BEFORE USING THE CEMENT.

AGAIN, DRY FIT EVERYTHING FIRST!!

if your return is going to the black ABS j tubing, get this cement instead.i have an example of it in one of my pictures as well as the video I posted.

FishBrawler

Ok well I am back and of course. .. I wasn't prepared... and home depot really needs to organize lol. I am using 6 45 degrees a 1 90 degree. Dam that's a lot of turns lol. So here the situation, I came prepared to find the smallest possible overflow and make it work. So I tried two are chose the smallest one. Oh and I am talk drains pipes for the over flow! I get home and realize it won't fit! :( so now what lol? sadly they did make the overfloe box very deep... I got 3 inches to work with! Any thoughs on how to quiet the gargle? On the bright side, tot my sump. Just not the pieces to make it! Hopefully I will get that tomorrow but I'm not to wishful about that... :/

the white schedule 40 PVC found at your local home depot or lowe's is fine. you don't NEED the gray schedule 80.

buy the pipe in the longest length they have, i believe 10'.

you'll need primer and solvent http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100151579?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=pvc+cement&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=100151579#.UUTKbzfBuDU'>here

again, you don't NEED the true unions, they do make things easier though, not sold locally however.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203933541?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=pvc+true+union&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=203933541#.UUTKxjfBuDU'>example of a true union. you can use http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100344159?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=pvc+union&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=100344159#.UUTK6zfBuDU'>these with http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202370032?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=pvc+valve&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=202370032#.UUTLFDfBuDU'>these to get the same result, they ARE sold locally.

i'm not sure if you decided on your size yet, but mine is 1" drain and 3/4" return. there are pictures in my thread you can look at.

use one of http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100021967?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=tube+cutter&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=100021967#.UUTLgzfBuDU'>these to cut the PVC if you don't have one. you can also use many toothed miter saw if you have one, just be careful doing it that way.

DRY FIT EVERYTHING MULTIPLE TIMES BEFORE USING THE CEMENT.

AGAIN, DRY FIT EVERYTHING FIRST!!

if your return is going to the black ABS j tubing, get http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100116580?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=pvc+cement&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=100116580#.UUTMDjfBuDU'>this cement instead.i have an example of it in one of my pictures as well as the video I posted.

FishBrawler
What return is it? sorry if it's already stated I can't go back through the thread on my phone.

The drain is 1 and return is 3/4

FishBrawler

i meant overflow, sorry. long nite.

your overlow looks the same size as mine. it's plenty of room. as for the gurgle here

The tank is custom built so I had them build in an external overflow. Off the top of my head it is 4x 8x3 (HxLxW). I think I have a plan. Im going to try a durso overflow. the plan is to get a tie that is male on all sides. the cap will screw on the tie will screw onto the base and i can screw the 90 degree turn on too. no extra connecting pieces. If I'm lucky, it will fit.

FishBrawler

Sorry I haven't been on lately! So here is the update :)

Have the sump tank and have it marked for dividers!

20130321_195543_1_zps0dcc4248.jpg

Secondly, I made THE SMALLEST durso standpipe possible! and yet somehow it just barely, and I mean BARELY fit!

20130320_064106_zps0b357662.jpg

20130320_064048_zpsea306918.jpg

20130320_064036_1_zps0ac47b94.jpg

Also, I have had acrylic cut... long story short, it was not to what I wanted it... A fourth of an inch too BIG! So I got out the ol dremel and cut it until SUDDENLY the freaking circuit went out. Not knowing where the circuit breaker was i took out the good ol saw and sawed for literally hours... not exaggerating .. but now I have pieces of acylic that fit in the 20 gallon high that I chose!

Sadly... I may have to cut them AGAIN because people say that acrylic will expand in water and break the 20 high. so yup.

Future Questions:

1.) Do you guys think the acrylic will expand? should I cut it and leave an eight of an inch between the baffles and the side?

2.) How do people get the silicone in between baffles? do they only silicone one side?

3.) How should I approach this whole siliconing process?

Feel free to leave any responses :)

And lastly my 2 FTS

The 55 gallon :)

IMG_20130319_212653_zps240b80df.jpg

And of course... MY PRECIOUS... *in smeagle voice (Lord of the Rings)* .... and the Temporary "geto" hanging style...

20130321_184512_zps5b51b9a6.jpg

20130321_201646-1_zps6d3a9284.jpg

20130321_201654-1_zps494c2cd4.jpg

Archived