ReefCleaners.org

FishBrawler ReefStock goodies

FishBrawler

Great job with your documentation. I'm excited to see someone your age taking the time to plan before you act. You will soon have a great aquarium.

You may not realize this right now, but you are very lucky to have a father who is supportive of your hobby and a Grandfather that is willing to build that stand. I'm sure that was a great thing for the both of you to do together. Make sure you thank both them extensively!

Best of luck on the new build!

• Like 1
  • Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I take them for granit! But this was a great memory that I will have with me and my grandpa forever! I had him and me sign the bottom of the stand! And as for my dad, im lucky he loves gardening and this is an underwater garden sanctuary for him and me. I love both of them so much!

Great job with your documentation. I'm excited to see someone your age taking the time to plan before you act. You will soon have a great aquarium.

You may not realize this right now, but you are very lucky to have a father who is supportive of your hobby and a Grandfather that is willing to build that stand. I'm sure that was a great thing for the both of you to do together. Make sure you thank both them extensively!

Best of luck on the new build!

• Like 1
Yeah it's a little out dates but it does have ehiem, mag drive, rio and quite one. They give you a basic idea.

The sicce 3.5 has about 650 left after 4 foot incline. Idk how many gph 3-4 90 degree angles would do to it but I think I could possible hit the 500 mark and I could add a gate valve if it was more.

Reefmaster1996

If you use the calculator your are going to find the head loss according to your plumbing with that you can find what our pump will push out according to the pumps headloss chart on the manufacturers website. You can guesstimate buy using a mag 7 as your pump, it comes at to about 400 gph, you have a significant amount of 90 degree angles, I would go with the sicce 4.0 if you want around 400-500 gph. It's only a 15$ difference between each so it's your call.

If you use the calculator your are going to find the head loss according to your plumbing with that you can find what our pump will push out according to the pumps headloss chart on the manufacturers website. You can guesstimate buy using a mag 7 as your pump, it comes at to about 400 gph, you have a significant amount of 90 degree angles, I would go with the sicce 4.0 if you want around 400-500 gph. It's only a 15$ difference between each so it's your call.
you think 650 + 3 90 degree angles will make it less than 500 gallons per hour?
Reefmaster1996

You said 4 90 degree elbows and its your choice as I stated. And I also included a check valve I extremely reccomend you get one of those, trust me it well help your system be safe in the long run. And if the 4.0 is a bit much you could always add a gate valve.

You could try the 3.5 and return it if your not happy.

You said 4 90 degree elbows and its your choice as I stated. And I also included a check valve I extremely reccomend you get one of those, trust me it well help your system be safe in the long run. And if the 4.0 is a bit much you could always add a gate valve. You could try the 3.5 and return it if your not happy.

Definetly! I have a check valve on my 55 and I think it would accually be better to get the 4 now that I think about it! Thanks!

Good luck! The sicce pumps are great, but as he said the eheim are nice too. Anything made by germans or italians usually is. :rolleyes:

Equipment is the second hardest this to do for aquariums. I think aquascaping is the hardest.

Will see if I can get my dad to order my rofk and light tomorrow and I hope I can get started on the sump. But we will se because my dad didnt even contact the fish store yet about the scratched glass! *facepalm*

Well here is the plan for the sump! My dimensions aren't quite right... so just look at the big letters![

It's really small for some reason! let me fix this real quick

Reefmaster1996

Looks good, Aslong as your skimmer will fit, you must have an idea of what skimmer your going with because if you change your mind later on it might not fit.

So here is hopefully the enlarged plan for the sump!!

sumpfinal_zps7a3b4c83.jpg

So good and foolish news about the tank. So I called Dave and he told me to bring it in. So we loaded it into the truck and headed down. He came out to take a look and at it and sure enough he too thought it was a scratch! So he took it back and said he would keep us intouch. So 2 hours later he calls again and says that he fixed it. So again he hop in the truck and head down there. And told us that the scratch came off with a razor blade! So now we are all confused! He said that some coral glue or something must have gotten on it at the shop. So now we are back at it! Since it is Super Bowl Sunday, I don't think I can get my dad to take me shopping for materials for the sump, but I do think that we can order my rock and maybe my pump today.

On a side note, does anyone know what sorta sponge this is? It is everywhere! grows by the inch everyweek... maybe more!

20130202_223812_zpsc3f97a53.jpg

Haha, that's funny about the tank... I can't tell if it was really a scratch in the pictures you posted, but typically a scratch it pretty easily distinguishable from some glue, which would be a raised bump vs. a gouge in the surface. Honestly I thought a scratch like that would be unlikely (it would have to have been something pretty hard to leave a scratch that big) but at the same time within the realm of possibility. I bet the LFS owner just swapped your tank out with another one he had in his inventory... Unless it was custom, then maybe his story is good? Either way you have the tank back now so that's good.

Now, back to your sump... Don't skimp on the details here as the sump can be a very useful tool to you.

In your initial post you mentioned a 10g for a sump, right? The dimensions you posted are larger than a 10g (a standard 10g is 20x10x12.5 approx.). Tanks that are 24" wide are 15 gallon, and 20 high.

So unless you're planning a 20 high for the sump, I can see a potential problem with your plans. It comes back to flow. I still don't know why you're insisting on 500gph after head from your return... Unless you have it plumbed into multiple nozzles in the tank it's going to create crappy flow in your tank. The problem as I see it is this... In a 24" wide tank you are allotting 5" to the return chamber... In a 10g that would be about 1.5g assuming an 8" tall baffle. The problem is that the return chamber has to handle all of your evaporation. That's not much. You're going to need a very good ATO system and it's going to be running a lot to keep everything within range.

Additionally, having such a large return pump is going to be depleting that water very quickly such that a small hiccup in your drain could quickly pump the return chamber dry and potentially flood the display tank since it happens so fast.

Someone earlier suggested a quiet one 1200... I would go for something like that. It will be quieter, in the event that your drain becomes partially compromised you may avoid a flood (i.e. if a 1" drain maxes out at 600gph throughput what would you do if suddenly something happens and it's now only putting through 300gph?), you'll still have to top off frequently (if you maintain a small return chamber) but probably less often since a slower pump won't suck in as much water (pumps tend to suck in air as the water level gets close to their inlets, a stronger pump will start to suck in air when the water level is about 2" above the inlet, where a slower pump may not suck in air until the water level in the return chamber gets down to within 1" from the inlet).

Anyways, just my thoughts... Have you checked out what other people with similar sized tanks are running for return pumps? Also see what size return chambers they're using.

Check out Lawnman's tank... Same size as yours I believe. He's using a maxi-jet utility pump @ 485gph w/ 0 head. Also, his return chamber is roughly 3 gallons or so.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/294681-lawnmans-24x24x12-deep-blue-shallow-wellsoville/page-11

• Like 1

Haha, that's funny about the tank... I can't tell if it was really a scratch in the pictures you posted, but typically a scratch it pretty easily distinguishable from some glue, which would be a raised bump vs. a gouge in the surface. Honestly I thought a scratch like that would be unlikely (it would have to have been something pretty hard to leave a scratch that big) but at the same time within the realm of possibility. I bet the LFS owner just swapped your tank out with another one he had in his inventory... Unless it was custom, then maybe his story is good? Either way you have the tank back now so that's good.

Now, back to your sump... Don't skimp on the details here as the sump can be a very useful tool to you.

In your initial post you mentioned a 10g for a sump, right? The dimensions you posted are larger than a 10g (a standard 10g is 20x10x12.5 approx.). Tanks that are 24" wide are 15 gallon, and 20 high.

So unless you're planning a 20 high for the sump, I can see a potential problem with your plans. It comes back to flow. I still don't know why you're insisting on 500gph after head from your return... Unless you have it plumbed into multiple nozzles in the tank it's going to create crappy flow in your tank. The problem as I see it is this... In a 24" wide tank you are allotting 5" to the return chamber... In a 10g that would be about 1.5g assuming an 8" tall baffle. The problem is that the return chamber has to handle all of your evaporation. That's not much. You're going to need a very good ATO system and it's going to be running a lot to keep everything within range.

Additionally, having such a large return pump is going to be depleting that water very quickly such that a small hiccup in your drain could quickly pump the return chamber dry and potentially flood the display tank since it happens so fast.

Someone earlier suggested a quiet one 1200... I would go for something like that. It will be quieter, in the event that your drain becomes partially compromised you may avoid a flood (i.e. if a 1" drain maxes out at 600gph throughput what would you do if suddenly something happens and it's now only putting through 300gph?), you'll still have to top off frequently (if you maintain a small return chamber) but probably less often since a slower pump won't suck in as much water (pumps tend to suck in air as the water level gets close to their inlets, a stronger pump will start to suck in air when the water level is about 2" above the inlet, where a slower pump may not suck in air until the water level in the return chamber gets down to within 1" from the inlet).

Anyways, just my thoughts... Have you checked out what other people with similar sized tanks are running for return pumps? Also see what size return chambers they're using.

Check out Lawnman's tank... Same size as yours I believe. He's using a maxi-jet utility pump @ 485gph w/ 0 head. Also, his return chamber is roughly 3 gallons or so.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/294681-lawnmans-24x24x12-deep-blue-shallow-wellsoville/page-11

Thanks for the useful insight! I guess I was thinking of a 15 gallon aquarium so thanks for catching that! Also, I am going to use a tunze ATO. I will check into the other pumps and sumps on a few others build pages to get a better idea before I order. Thanks again for the help!

Archived