SaltCritters.com

FishBrawler ReefStock goodies

FishBrawler

Reefmaster1996

Yes but you can put cool blues and royal blues on the same channel or violets and cool blues on the same channel, it really barely makes a difference because you will get about the same look when you dim them together.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes but you can put cool blues and royal blues on the same channel or violets and cool blues on the same channel, it really barely makes a difference because you will get about the same look when you dim them together.

But isnt the point to have max controllabilty?

jedimasterben

But isnt the point to have max controllabilty?

I wanted that when I made my array. About ten minutes ago I put all my channels on the same timer and the same percentage. lol :)

I wanted that when I made my array. About ten minutes ago I put all my channels on the same timer and the same percentage. lol :)

So what are you using to control yours?

A Typhon controller. I'm about to move over to a Reef Angel when I get my tank moved.

so it only does four channels right? What different about the reef angel?
jedimasterben

It's a full controller. It's got two channels built in to the unit, and has a lot more programming options. I may spring for the PWM expansion which has six channels of control, but since I'm running everything all the same anyway, I don't know if I will.

May look into that... I just dont want it to be sloppy if im going diy and this whole controller thing looks like it can be the difference between super awesome and not so cool. Would this have any resell value if I ever wanted to upgrade?

It's a full controller. It's got two channels built in to the unit, and has a lot more programming options. I may spring for the PWM expansion which has six channels of control, but since I'm running everything all the same anyway, I don't know if I will.
jedimasterben

Absolutely, but I've seen two Reef Angels for sale in my time in the hobby, and both were from leaving the hobby. People that buy RA are not your typical reefer, because it is more involved than any of the other controllers, it takes someone more dedicated to get it all working how you want it, and you will never, EVER see anyone trade their RA for an Apex or Reefkeeper. :)

Luckily, for those of us that can't code, the RA forum is very active, especially from the owner of RA, Roberto, he will help code anything you want!

Absolutely, but I've seen two Reef Angels for sale in my time in the hobby, and both were from leaving the hobby. People that buy RA are not your typical reefer, because it is more involved than any of the other controllers, it takes someone more dedicated to get it all working how you want it, and you will never, EVER see anyone trade their RA for an Apex or Reefkeeper. :)

Luckily, for those of us that can't code, the RA forum is very active, especially from the owner of RA, Roberto, he will help code anything you want!

It sounds interesting. I see that there isnt really a good controller for the leds that is cheap and understandable so I guess im just going to order the light...

Sorry! I have been so busy the past few days!

Well I think I finally understand how it works.

20130214_175635_zpscfe2803d.jpg

20130214_175639_zpse38ccf07.jpg

I do not think that I will use this on this current tank as it would ruin the rimless effect, but I think that if I had my next tank predrilled for one, I would totally use it!

Also, I wasn't talking about them out competing, but it says that red algae release spores and I was wondering if they were in my refugium, that the spores would seed in the main tank! New thoughts?

Furthermore, I do know that it is easiest to due a themed tank, but in this case I want to try and have a mixed reef with softies, Lps, Sps, and clams if possible. The whole filtration thing that you suggested sounds great but I don't have the room. The skimmer is rated for a 60 gallon heavy stocked aquarium which means that should take out alot and I may throw in some carbon and stuff. I have ordered my rock from Marco Rocks already, but as you said, you have macros which I may take a look at, and corals??? (Do you have a list of corals???) I may have a better idea of what I'm looking for after the rock arrives. Thanks again. I can thank you enough.

And to end it off, some bambam zoa that I fragged! (Got them at ReefStock last year!)

Sorry its blurry... Those things are SMALL!

IMG_20130215_185723_zpsd1418748.jpg

With respect to spores reseeding in display. A drop of water from from another tank can reseed spores. Does that answer your question?

With respect to a list of corals, I do not sell from my personnel tanks. As a nutrient export mechanism, I frag coral and give away as laignappe. I also use these corals to custom build designer rock. If you want to know more about what coral I have, I will soon be displaying pictures of my tanks on sponsor subforum: AquacultureRanch.

Enjoy the hobby.

Patrick Castille

Mgr, AquacultureRanch, LLC

So which light did you end up with? Both the reefbreeders and the LEDtric look pretty nice.

I just completed my own DIY setup using t-slot heatsinks, solderless LEDs, and an arduino controller. I made a writeup here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/321516-wavelengths-a-full-spectrum-controllable-led-array/#entry4214512

It's a little late for you now, but I showed pretty much exactly how to build it - including the controller. Mine came in at $350, but that was for a 40b and would be scaled back considerably here by at least $100 ($50 for heatsink alone since I used a 24").

Well I went with the Ledtric iNspire. I may add colors with a typhon controller for more control later but this will be fine for now.

Screenshot_2013-02-26-12-32-16-1_zps31f3

Well I went with the Ledtric iNspire. I may add colors with a typhon controller for more control later but this will be fine for now.

Screenshot_2013-02-26-12-32-16-1_zps31f3

The iNspire looks like a really nice light. And the price is good too.

The iNspire looks like a really nice light. And the price is good too.

Ya. It looks alil bulky but hey. What do you expect for price vs value. Ill sacrifice alil lol.

alil? What is that...

it's just over 4" thick, not too bad I suppose. I think 3-4" is pretty normal including splash guard and fans and stuff.

alil? What is that... it's just over 4" thick, not too bad I suppose. I think 3-4" is pretty normal including splash guard and fans and stuff.

It stands for "a little". Sorry for the slang

alil? What is that... it's just over 4" thick, not too bad I suppose. I think 3-4" is pretty normal including splash guard and fans and stuff.

Haha okay that makes sense. I was thinking something in arabic, but that didn't make any sense at all.

So I am think of what zoas to look for at ReefStock. What do you guys think? I was thinking rastas and fruitloops. Whatelse? LA Lakers maybe because they have that yellow color thats in my theme?

FishBrawler

Just finished reading your thread, great job ,+1 on the fam support! Any new updates?

Update will be coming tomorrow as I am not at my house with the tank! My sister is letting me borrow her T3i Rebel cannon! The review for the light, which will be here if im lucky on friday but more likely monday... I'll hive you the run down of the pros and cons. The tank is still empty as I have no cash that I can spend on piping or the sump! That will come soon. The money I have will be going towards reefstovk as it only comes once a year and there are some HOT venders going to be there. Thats the story for right now :) !

Archived