Top Shelf Aquatics

FishBrawler ReefStock goodies

FishBrawler

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

MakersLED heatsink + solderless LEDs + DIM4/Typhon controller and BOOM. Looks nice, great spectral coverage, ultra efficient, and controllable. :)

(or, the Reefbreeders fixture still has a controller and is only $320)

Reefmaster1996

And being the type of person you are, I would go with the reef breeders and pay the 10$ extra to remove the 6 whites and 2 greens and add 8 violets, or DIY it if you want ;)

MakersLED heatsink + solderless LEDs + DIM4/Typhon controller and BOOM. Looks nice, great spectral coverage, ultra efficient, and controllable. :)

(or, the Reefbreeders fixture still has a controller and is only $320)

Ill price it out really quick. What types of led should I get and on what channels if I want the most controllability? Give me what you think. I can probably only spend $400 now but I can I on some more spectrum later.

jedimasterben

It's 24x24x12, right?

6x NW XT-E

12-18x RB XT-E

6-8x CB XP-E

4x deep red

4x turquoise

6-12x hyper violet

12" MakersLED heatsink

3x Meanwell LDD-1000HW

3x Meanwell LDD-700HW

48v 7.3a power supply from Ebay

You're looking at about $300 for all of that. Then you'll need solder, wire, and thermal paste if you don't have all of that already. You also may need optics, depending on how high you want to hang it.

Then a controller for them is $55 from BoostLED.

It's 24x24x12, right?

6x NW XT-E

12-18x RB XT-E

6-8x CB XP-E

4x deep red

4x turquoise

6-12x hyper violet

12" MakersLED heatsink

3x Meanwell LDD-1000HW

3x Meanwell LDD-700HW

48v 7.3a power supply from Ebay

You're looking at about $300 for all of that. Then you'll need solder, wire, and thermal paste if you don't have all of that already. You also may need optics, depending on how high you want to hang it.

Then a controller for them is $55 from BoostLED.

Is that it? I only need a 12 inch? How easy is they typhon controller to use? What can it do?

Ok.

It is an Arduino controller. It can do anything you want it to lol

Where do you store the drivers and how clean will it look. Is there a way to make it look like one cord going down?

jedimasterben

Sure. You can get some connectors and solder the wires to them and have a single cord coming down to the drivers. You'll need the connectors, cord, and heatshrink to cover the wires. You can also just use a wire sheath to cover a bunch of wires and make them look like one.

Sure. You can get some connectors and solder the wires to them and have a single cord coming down to the drivers. You'll need the connectors, cord, and heatshrink to cover the wires. You can also just use a wire sheath to cover a bunch of wires and make them look like one.

That whole controller thing looks wayyyyy confusing! Is there a plug and play download?

On my fixture I made a remote control box. On my new build I'm doing a all in one fixture.

Whats a remote control box? Wireless?
jedimasterben

That whole controller thing looks wayyyyy confusing! Is there a plug and play download?

Whats a remote control box? Wireless?

It is preprogrammed.

jedimasterben

I've been working with a couple of people to try and port storm sim over, but the libraries might be too large for it. Unless you're looking for something to show your friends when they're over, you won't use storms. I can see where cloud cover can come in handy (have read a few papers suggesting that dark/blackouts for a day or two can be good for corals), but storms, not so much. It also freaks out a lot of fish, so make sure you have a good cover.

I've been working with a couple of people to try and port storm sim over, but the libraries might be too large for it. Unless you're looking for something to show your friends when they're over, you won't use storms. I can see where cloud cover can come in handy (have read a few papers suggesting that dark/blackouts for a day or two can be good for corals), but storms, not so much. It also freaks out a lot of fish, so make sure you have a good cover.

So how easy is it to program and do they do clouds?

jedimasterben

Arduino can literally do anything that you want it to. I've seen entire homes run solely from an Arduino processor, controlled every light in the house, the garage door, TVs, audio stuff, the aquarium, everything.

Arduino can literally do anything that you want it to. I've seen entire homes run solely from an Arduino processor, controlled every light in the house, the garage door, TVs, audio stuff, the aquarium, everything.

Well I think I am going to go for it. Do you think I can add more chanles with more drivers if I wanted to later?

So I have been looking at the arduino... what can I say... WAY difficult. Does anyone have a link to a thread or something that would show me how I can program one to have 6-8 channels all on individual timers and what arduino do I need to get? There seem to be soooo many different ones. Do they all come with screens?

So I have been looking at the arduino... what can I say... WAY difficult. Does anyone have a link to a thread or something that would show me how I can program one to have 6-8 channels all on individual timers and what arduino do I need to get? There seem to be soooo many different ones. Do they all come with screens?

Just get the Typhon, it will be much easier. Or if you want a full reef tank controller look into the Reef Angel. It's an arduino-based controller that can do anything that an Apex or Reefkeeper can do, plus a controller for the lights too.

Just get the Typhon, it will be much easier. Or if you want a full reef tank controller look into the Reef Angel. It's an arduino-based controller that can do anything that an Apex or Reefkeeper can do, plus a controller for the lights too.

I would but it says that it only controls 4 channels and there is 6 colors of leds. I want maximum control.

Archived