Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

FishBrawler ReefStock goodies

FishBrawler

1) I know nothing about acrylic. I stick to glass for a reason haha.

2)What I did was mark where the glass was going to be and put a bead of silicon on the mark. Then I would take the glass and push it into position. Because the silicon was where the glass is now, it spread out on the other side. Then I put silicon on the side that was accessible. I used my finger with a glove on or my finger wrapped in a piece of paper towel.

3)Wait a minute... Aren't you the one that told me to use a razor to lean it up? Now its your turn. Let me know what a pita it was. :happy:

Good luck. *evil laugh*

Ohh. And what ever you do. Dont cut the tube so that your bead is thick. I wanted a narrow bead but the nozzle got cogged and I had to cut it. :angry:

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FishBrawler

1) I know nothing about acrylic. I stick to glass for a reason haha.

2)What I did was mark where the glass was going to be and put a bead of silicon on the mark. Then I would take the glass and push it into position. Because the silicon was where the glass is now, it spread out on the other side. Then I put silicon on the side that was accessible. I used my finger with a glove on or my finger wrapped in a piece of paper towel.

3)Wait a minute... Aren't you the one that told me to use a razor to lean it up? Now its your turn. Let me know what a pita it was. :happy:

Good luck. *evil laugh*

Ohh. And what ever you do. Dont cut the tube so that your bead is thick. I wanted a narrow bead but the nozzle got cogged and I had to cut it. :angry:

Thanks haha! I was the one who told you and I will. I'm also going to ise some masking tape to keep the lines straight (not that at it matters)! I just did a peactice piece with the scap and cardboard. Its fairly dry now and I think it looks good! So now it comes do the part we all hate... another trip to the store! Need new masking tape and more silicone haha! Thanks for you experience! So how again did you get in between the baffles? Did you just put a bead down? Because with the baffles only and inch apart I can't see me getting the tube down there or even my hand!

Thanks for you experience! So how again did you get in between the baffles? Did you just put a bead down? Because with the baffles only and inch apart I can't see me getting the tube down there or even my hand!

No problem. Lay the bead. Take glass. Push into position. Lay bead on accessible side.

Reefmaster1996

What type of silicone are you using? Make sure it is a 100% silicone and is not mold resistant, Etc. I recommend ASI aquarium silicone.

FishBrawler

How did I miss that?! Haha. Ya they do. I should expocy mine like yours. It looks fantastic!

Thanks! If you don't have to, I would say don't bother. For what I wanted to achieve in my small volume, I had no choice but to chisel and hammer football sized pieces and glue/epoxy 'em back together! It's solid as a rock (pun intended) :P

No re-aquascaping mine... :unsure::lol:

FishBrawler

Well, I went with my grandpa over to my dads yesterday and well... there are holes in the ceiling.... that are filled with bolts to hold my lights! :D

We also worked on my drain line which will be ready once painted black! Here are some pics!

Don't mind that dog hair... don't know how it got there... :/

20130327_101943_zpsfae70985.jpg

And now for the light!

20130327_105724_zps31506679.jpg20130327_105737_zps8bc6d44f.jpg20130327_105730_zps8ce0ca46.jpg

Naaah, I think it looks good. Plus you'd have to run the cord threw the wall behind it to hide it, which would be a pain in the ass. Of course, if the bolds magically appeared on the ceiling...

FishBrawler
Looking good, if only you could hide that cord.

I'm going to use some cord wrap the color of the wall and see how that turns out.

Naaah, I think it looks good. Plus you'd have to run the cord threw the wall behind it to hide it, which would be a pain in the ass. Of course, if the bolds magically appeared on the ceiling...

Thanks! I think it looks good too!

So I have all the panals cut, the drainline pvc cut, and the sump marled. If I do this as fast as I can, we will have water in this baby on monday!

Anybody know what type of pvc glue I have to use?

And if iam lucky.... the pump will be my Birthday present today!

Anybody know what type of pvc glue I have to use?

the white schedule 40 PVC found at your local home depot or lowe's is fine. you don't NEED the gray schedule 80.

buy the pipe in the longest length they have, i believe 10'.

you'll need primer and solvent here

if your return is going to the black ABS j tubing, get this cement instead.i have an example of it in one of my pictures as well as the video I posted.

FishBrawler

Back to the pvc cement. I have some that is safe for aquariums but it has primer and the actual cement. Is the primer that it came with safe? Here's the picture of what it is.

20130330_130346_zps17145a61.jpg

Looking good. I'd run that cord up the wire, across the ceiling, and down the corner of the walls, hiding it with wall cord covers.

FishBrawler
Looking good. I'd run that cord up the wire, across the ceiling, and down the corner of the walls, hiding it with wall cord covers.
The cord isnt that long. Any other auggestions?

FishBrawler

UPDATE!

What have I been working on the last few days one may ask. Well I'll show you!

First big addition (Not the biggest so keep reading), my very own DIY sump!

Design and Materials!

20130321_195543_1_zps0dcc4248.jpg

As I said before... Measure twice cut once... When guess who didn't measure twice and ended up cutting twice... THIS GUY. This is the marks I made on all the panels that I then cut with a dremel.

20130320_173503_zps27924285.jpg

CUT LIKE BUTTER!

20130320_182853_zps2799f6ac.jpg

First panel in, five to go!

20130320_175755_zps0138c311.jpg

Three down, cut, and fit!

20130320_191102_zpsff73abfa.jpg

20130320_191033_zpscf94f6ce.jpg

No pictures of me siliconing because it was messy... Actually I was doing it in my PJs... My dad offered HAHA! So here is me test filling it!

20130331_091901_zps7c761187.jpg

20130331_091907_zpse9a99a29.jpg

So with those done, whats left to do except add water!... I guess plumb it haha. My grandpa helped me plumb the drain and my dad helped me with the return. My grandpa was actually a plumber for his career so he was really helpful and taught me all the tricks! ;) So with those done too, I'm left with an empty tank... So, with out further a do, THE FILLING!

20130331_201600_zps36322334.jpg

20130331_221921_zpse466bf2a.jpg

20130402_174508_zpsadda6ba0.jpg

Just finished adding the salt and am almost to the correct temp!

Guess the forecast is "Cloudy with a chance of Nitrifying Bacteria"

20130402_174835_zpsdf003085.jpg

Archived