inTank Media Baskets

FishBrawler ReefStock goodies

FishBrawler

You don't need a fish to keep it going, just a food (ammonia) source for the bacteria - try a little food added to the tank for example.

This way, you reduce the chance of losing the fish if the cycle is a little "harsh" so to speak... ;)

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FishBrawler
You don't need a fish to keep it going, just a food (ammonia) source for the bacteria - try a little food added to the tank for example.

This way, you reduce the chance of losing the fish if the cycle is a little "harsh" so to speak... ;)

Ya. I know you can do a fishless cycle. I have been adding alil food to the tank. Just some dry powder stuff from my other tank.

I've never seen someone excited about diatoms before. Do not add a fish until the cycle is done.

The cycle is accually finished! I can't believe how fast that went! My other tank took 6 months! Also, don't know if you would count this as a reliable resource, but when mr saltwater tank did the interview with dr tim, he actually used fish to cycle. Of course he added amonia to the tank but dr tim recomened using a fish in the cycle.

FishBrawler

Damn it. I wish I had diatoms. :(

Guess I'm not the only one who likes them!

On another note. I passed on the fish because they looked awful and decided that since I am so close that I am going to save for the PLS protien skimmer. Going to try to make the last $30 this week at my grandmas and order it this week!

Here are some of the corals from my 55 gallon that I will be transfering to the new tank once the front piece of glasses is replaced and the re silicone.

20130125_063255.jpg

what is this one?

FishBrawler

That is a yellow gonipora. Difficult to some extent. They like alil dirtier water but they add some nice movement and color! :o

That is a yellow gonipora. Difficult to some extent. They like alil dirtier water but they add some nice movement and color! :o

How long have you had it? Everything I'm reading says they don't exist and if they do they're extremely hard to keep alive.

FishBrawler

How long have you had it? Everything I'm reading says they don't exist and if they do they're extremely hard to keep alive.

Sadly that was when I first got it. It was dying at the shop so I thought that I could save it. It past last week. BUT I do have a red gonipora that is going on 2 years! It is red with blue eyes! It seems like hit or miss with them. It acually died down to like two polyps and then all of the sudden it took off! Now it get a new polyp every day!

Paandemonium

Really? I kept one in my old nano cube for a while just fine. The only reason I got rid of it was because it was stinging my clowns too much.

FishBrawler

Really? I kept one in my old nano cube for a while just fine. The only reason I got rid of it was because it was stinging my clowns too much.

Like I said, it is really either hit or miss with them. I think that the condition you buy them in really plays a huge part of whether they will survive or not.

Paandemonium

Like I said, it is really either hit or miss with them. I think that the condition you buy them in really plays a huge part of whether they will survive or not.

I fed it regularly, then again my theory with most corals/fish is "Find a food it likes and feed it" lol

Healthy specimens do make one's life easier though

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
FishBrawler

WOWZA! I have been so busy! Its time to get this build back on track! Few updates, my beloved 55 gallon (My first fish tank) basically crashed so I luckily was able to catch the fish and put them in this tank! I know there is a tang in the tank! I'm working on it so shhhh... don't call the tang police!

This sadly is the last FTS I have of it... :(

http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/FishBrawler/media/IMG_20130319_212653_zps240b80df.jpg.html'>IMG_20130319_212653_zps240b80df.jpg

So onto the 30 gallon!

New things

We got 3 fish:

• Mimic Tang
  • Clownfish
  • Blue Chromis

I also have added some coral:

• Fire and Ice morph from the 55
  • Green star polyps from the 55
  • Some unidentified coral (Either a cup coral or dendro)

The Cup coral or whatever.

http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/FishBrawler/media/IMG_20130621_231240_zps331f13ff.jpg.html'>IMG_20130621_231240_zps331f13ff.jpg

Fun edit of the cup coral under actinic.

http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/FishBrawler/media/IMG_20130621_232420_zpscdc4e814.jpg.html'>IMG_20130621_232420_zpscdc4e814.jpg

The "thing" eating

http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/FishBrawler/media/IMG_20130626_002257_zps411d2dc1.jpg.html'>IMG_20130626_002257_zps411d2dc1.jpg

Really crappy blurry picture of the fire and ice and green stars

http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/FishBrawler/media/IMG_20130628_154456_zpsd00ecabc.jpg.html'>IMG_20130628_154456_zpsd00ecabc.jpg

The clownfish in the other tank. I couldn't get a good picture of him yet.

http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/FishBrawler/media/IMG_20130516_191148_zps2ae6d394.jpg.html'>IMG_20130516_191148_zps2ae6d394.jpg

http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/FishBrawler/media/IMG_20130516_191642_zpse3a5f149.jpg.html'>IMG_20130516_191642_zpse3a5f149.jpg

Mechanical changes include the addition of a dual BRS reactor for carbon and GFO

20130628_150349_zpsb9eccc71.jpg

Here is sorta a FSS (Full System Shot). Im leaving the side where the reactor is for my ato... still working on the money for that...

20130628_150323_zps89508611.jpg
Here is the PLS Skimmer. This thing is beast. I had trouble tuning it in because the whole body kept popping off! Later I found that my water was 1/2 inch too deep and thats what caused that so I am put it on a stand and now this thing IS BEAST!
20130628_150342_zps3f220079.jpg
Thought this would be worth bringing back from Febuary.

The logic pushing higher flowrates from sump usually is to benefit circulation rates in main tank. To assist with flow in main tank use reduced flow thru eductors. Thru venturi physics, the flow in tank is amplified so that instead of 300 GPH it would be a total circulation rate between 1200-1500 GPH within the tank with a 300 GPH pump flow rate from the sump to the tank. They are bulky and require good aquascaping to hide. I have used them for years. You need use a higher rated pump to produce the pressure that eductor venturi require.

La bonne temps roulee,

Patrick Castille

Mgr, Aquaculture Ranch, LLC

I happened to come across one at the LFS for $30, so I said what the heck and I am impressed!

http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/FishBrawler/media/20130628_160402_zps7bb3e23d.jpg.html'>20130628_160402_zps7bb3e23d.jpg

As you can tell, the water is cloudy. I assume it is a bacteria bloom. I am running carbon and now that I got that skimmer working really well I assume it should go away soon!

Comments and thoughts welcome! :)

In looking at your eductor, it looks like there is a ball/socket pivot to adjust angle. That is a very nice feature for optimizing circulatin. Use feeding time as an opportunity to evaluate circulation. Food particles accurately protect velocity vectors of in tank current.

Yes, a bacteria bloom should easily be removed by protein skimming. I like the open look of your tank. With no substrate in display tank where is your biological filter? Do those two rocks provide sufficient biofiltration?

FishBrawler
In looking at your eductor, it looks like there is a ball/socket pivot to adjust angle. That is a very nice feature for optimizing circulatin. Use feeding time as an opportunity to evaluate circulation. Food particles accurately protect velocity vectors of in tank current.

Yes, a bacteria bloom should easily be removed by protein skimming. I like the open look of your tank. With no substrate in display tank where is your biological filter? Do those two rocks provide sufficient biofiltration?

That is all the rock that I have now. I have 100 pounds curing from my 55 gallon tank. I'm nervous to add live rock because of pests... but I am looking to get some and fill up the refugium section and get some macro algaes in there!

FishBrawler

Well I am back at ny house with the tank. Here is one week of skim!

20130706_100231_zps8ad8cc8d.jpg

More updates coming soon!

• 2 weeks later...
FishBrawler

Thought I would just post some pictures of the tank inhabitants.

IMG_20130707_172732_zps8b2a0b2f.jpgIMG_20130707_172328-1_zpse1709a3c.jpg

And also the start of something...

20130716_093730_zps2b54a2c2.jpg

Archived