inTank Media Baskets

FishBrawler ReefStock goodies

FishBrawler

Hey I wouldn't rip it apart! just move the system if you're not happy where it is....

and replace parts... just my 2cents..

I don't like the external overflow. Can't really fix that. The system is too big for me to support with my income level. I am going to be using some of the same equipment.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heh, when I was 14 I didn't even have an allowance so I can imagine.

Im just lucky he doesn't make me pay the power bill for it also! :lol:

Ok so I am caught up now buddy. So this tank is coming down and Cad built you a new one? I vote sand for the next tank :). Where is the Welso brain? Did you kill it :(?

Ok so I am caught up now buddy. So this tank is coming down and Cad built you a new one? I vote sand for the next tank :). Where is the Welso brain? Did you kill it :(?

I don't think its wellso! I still have it in another tank! The trachy though.... looks like its been on its way out for weeks! I am either doing sand or a very corse and largesshell gravel. I am having cadlights build me a new aquarium. Hopefully for christmas but I may get a light instead. They are having a sale on the one I'm looking at.

Ok I have been thinking about your tank this morning. Give me some more details before I tell you what I think. What is the current tank 24x24x12?Glass? External overflow drilled with a durso and a return? Now what is the new tank specs you are having built?

Ok I have been thinking about your tank this morning. Give me some more details before I tell you what I think. What is the current tank 24x24x12?Glass? External overflow drilled with a durso and a return? Now what is the new tank specs you are having built?

Everything abive is correct (add starfire though). The new specs are something like 13x13x20. Starfire glass. Internal overflow. Two returns. One drain. Thoughts?

You won't like what I have to say but I will say it. Keep the tank you have and use the extra money to buy more equipment and corals. I justified a downgrade in my head from my 75 to my 24x24x12. I always missed the extra space soon as I did it and the stability. A new MP 10 and some other new equipment along with new corals will really spark your love for the tank. Just my 2 cents either way I will still like you :). The external overflow is the BOMB buddy gives you a ton more display room.

I read you were not happy with the glass alignment and scratches. Heck my 2 week old tank already has 3 scratches. Everyone always looks into the top not thru the glass.

You won't like what I have to say but I will say it. Keep the tank you have and use the extra money to buy more equipment and corals. I justified a downgrade in my head from my 75 to my 24x24x12. I always missed the extra space soon as I did it and the stability. A new MP 10 and some other new equipment along with new corals will really spark your love for the tank. Just my 2 cents either way I will still like you :). The external overflow is the BOMB buddy gives you a ton more display room. I read you were not happy with the glass alignment and scratches. Heck my 2 week old tank already has 3 scratches. Everyone always looks into the top not thru the glass.

They failed at an external overflow! The slots aren't big enought to move that much water down into the sump! The water above is almost 10 degrees cooler. Regardless of me dismantleing this aquarium, I am getting a new one because my dad wants one up stairs. I just decided that with such a limited income, $30 a month, I can better afford this smaller aquarium, again fix the issues I am having an run a more sucessful reef! That's the goal here! What are your thoughts now?

If you have a dremel, you could all ways make wider slots. Hell, you could even go with out teeth like mine. Then move it up stairs, maybe even do a reboot. I don't think going a few gallons smaller will help with the budget, but it's your stuff bud, do what you think is best

jedimasterben

Like psycho said, a few gallons smaller will not realistically be cheaper, even in the long run. Especially considering you'll be selling this tank and any equipment that you're not keeping for much less than you paid for it, and then purchasing a new tank and new equipment. Horrible idea to spend less money.

And on your other thread, you mention that you have $30/monthly of income to spend on the tank AND anything else you want to have or do, and that it's usually spent on food. Make your own food. Take a blender. Take five FRESH mussels, five FRESH clams, five FRESH shrimp, five FRESH oysters, separate them all in two equal portions. Add 200mL of FROZEN RO/DI water and one tablespoon of regular white sugar to one of those halves, and blend for five minutes, rest for two, blend for five minutes, rest for two, blend for five minutes, remove from blender. This is your SPS and filter feeder food. The other half, pulse the blender until the pieces are nice and chopped up into sizes that your fish can eat. This is your fish, LPS, and zoanthid/paly food. BOOM, done. Less than $15 for months worth of food.

They failed at an external overflow! The slots aren't big enought to move that much water down into the sump! The water above is almost 10 degrees cooler. Regardless of me dismantleing this aquarium, I am getting a new one because my dad wants one up stairs. I just decided that with such a limited income, $30 a month, I can better afford this smaller aquarium, again fix the issues I am having an run a more sucessful reef! That's the goal here! What are your thoughts now?
First I am not try to talk you out of a new tank. I never tell people how to spend there money. You won't save money with a smaller tank. Less water means it will be less stable. You will find yourself needing to buy additives for algae. Or have to ramp up your water changes to keep the fluctuations under control. Just my 2 cents I like your tank and the size. Tell dad you want a tank upstairs lets move this upstairs. Lets get some new equipment and some awesome corals. We will still be saving money. Take a dremel and cut every other tooth out.
If you have a dremel, you could all ways make wider slots. Hell, you could even go with out teeth like mine. Then move it up stairs, maybe even do a reboot. I don't think going a few gallons smaller will help with the budget, but it's your stuff bud, do what you think is best

Thays always an option. My dremel is burnt out. Puffing smoke. I would have to buy another one! That would almost cost as much as the new tank. I am just not liking this tank anymore. Forsome reason I am having a hard time keeping stuff. Never really had this problem before! I hardly lost any fish until this tank. I am having a hard time keeping corals. I think its just time for a new tank. Or its me trying to justify getting a new tank haha.

Oh I forgot! I already made the stand for it so I don't want all that work and $$$ to go to waste!

But to be clear this is just my 2 cents. If you want a new smaller tank go for it.

I know! And really all of you guys are older and therefore wiser. I should listen to you. I'm just not liking the way this tank is turning out. I already have pests! Bubble algae and aptasia and cyano and possibly byprosis! Its taking a turn for the worst!

I know! And really all of you guys are older and therefore wiser. I should listen to you. I'm just not liking the way this tank is turning out. I already have pests! Bubble algae and aptasia and cyano and possibly byprosis! Its taking a turn for the worst!

We can help you with any problems. All of that can be fixed for under 15 dollars. But I have a feeling YOU just want a new tank. Which is fine just own it. Don't try to justify it. Just say I want a new tank and that is that :). But you are going from a Escalade to a Ford Ranger no offense to you Ford drivers I feel sorry for you though. Cads customer service sucks. Eddie is a real treat to deal with ONCE you get him to respond. Was going to have them make me a sump. But after getting back to me 9 days later no thanks.
We can help you with any problems. All of that can be fixed for under 15 dollars. But I have a feeling YOU just want a new tank. Whdon't want a space saving skimmer is fine just own it. Don't try to justify it. Just say I want a new tank and that is that :). But you are going from a Escalade to a Ford Ranger no offense to you Ford drivers I feel sorry for you though. Cads customer service sucks. Eddie is a real treat to deal with ONCE you get him to respond. Was going to have them make me a sump. But after getting back to me 9 days later no thanks.

Good points! I really want a new tank with a complete different style of equipment. No refugium. I wanna try zeovit (not really working in my cheap aspect). I want to do t5 led and halide. I dont want a space saving skimmer, but a massive brute. I want sand. It seems like a hassel to do it for an already established aquarium. I want this thing to be bad ass! I also have never owned an internal overflow and want to find out what works best. I may not even sell the tank but make it a frag tank or something.

jedimasterben

Zeovit really won't be cheap at all lol.

Also, T5, halide, and LED? IMHO pick one or two of those. There is absolutely no need for all three.

Zeovit really won't be cheap at all lol. Also, T5, halide, and LED? IMHO pick one or two of those. There is absolutely no need for led.
I agree Ben surprised at that comment. :)

Good points! I really want a new tank with a complete different style of equipment. No refugium. I wanna try zeovit (not really working in my cheap aspect). I want to do t5 led and halide. I dont want a space saving skimmer, but a massive brute. I want sand. It seems like a hassel to do it for an already established aquarium. I want this thing to be bad ass! I also have never owned an internal overflow and want to find out what works best. I may not even sell the tank but make it a frag tank or something.
Is dad on board with you maxing out his credit card?:)
Zeovit really won't be cheap at all lol.

Also, T5, halide, and LED? IMHO pick one or two of those. There is absolutely no need for all three.

I know its not cheap! I want to try it it. With a tank this small there will be a lot less aditives and hopefull I can replish by my birthday or christmas or something. I like the assepcts of all three lamp types. Power and punch of halide. Fullness of t5s. Color from leds.

I agree Ben surprised at that comment. :)Is dad on board with you maxing out his credit card?:)

Haha! Well... he likes to support me in what I want to do so I hope he will allow me too! And it won't be that much! $1000 max!

I hope he will? So I take it dad doesn't know about this new master plan :)?

Well.... he knows and fully supports the new tank and build. Selling the other tank... I haven't told him that yet lol. Who knows. Maybe he will help keep it up and running.

Archived