Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

FishBrawler ReefStock goodies

FishBrawler

jedimasterben

Good points! I really want a new tank with a complete different style of equipment. No refugium. I wanna try zeovit (not really working in my cheap aspect). I want to do t5 led and halide. I dont want a space saving skimmer, but a massive brute. I want sand. It seems like a hassel to do it for an already established aquarium. I want this thing to be bad ass! I also have never owned an internal overflow and want to find out what works best. I may not even sell the tank but make it a frag tank or something.

To be honest, I would go ahead and do it with your current tank. You'd be surprised at what you can do to rejuvenate your interest in it.

Adding sand will just take a day to clear up (run a low-micron filter sock and maybe add a bit of a flocculent to speed it up), and will totally transform the tank IMHO.

You don't necessarily need a MASSIVE sized skimmer for it to be very efficient. Look at a basic Reef Octopus skimmer and add a Bubble Blaster pump to it - will turn it into an SRO that is wicked.

I know its not cheap! I want to try it it. With a tank this small there will be a lot less aditives and hopefull I can replish by my birthday or christmas or something. I like the assepcts of all three lamp types. Power and punch of halide. Fullness of t5s. Color from leds. Haha! Well... he likes to support me in what I want to do so I hope he will allow me too!

Don't forget the chiller. You're gonna need one.

FYI, LEDs have far more punch than halides ever will.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be honest, I would go ahead and do it with your current tank. You'd be surprised at what you can do to rejuvenate your interest in it. Adding sand will just take a day to clear up (run a low-micron filter sock and maybe add a bit of a flocculent to speed it up), and will totally transform the tank IMHO. You don't necessarily need a MASSIVE sized skimmer for it to be very efficient. Look at a basic Reef Octopus skimmer and add a Bubble Blaster pump to it - will turn it into an SRO that is wicked.Don't forget the chiller. You're gonna need one. FYI, LEDs have far more punch than halides ever will.

True true, but they will not cover as much spectrum. They cover most of it, but there is nothing like metal haildes!

True true, but they will not cover as much spectrum. They cover most of it, but there is nothing like metal haildes!

Here comes the Jedi thunda...

If you decide to sell this tank, I just might pick it up. External overflow good.

jedimasterben

Untrue, but there is more than likely no convincing you of otherwise.

If you're insistent on LEDs not covering proper spectra, then what exactly are the T5 tubes for?

Here comes the Jedi thunda... If you decide to sell this tank, I just might pick it up. External overflow good.

I may have a special deal for you then.

If you're insistent on LEDs not covering proper spectra, then what exactly are the T5 tubes for?

You can convince me, but why not have the best of both worlds if you can?

I retracted my vote in your other thread now that I have seen what you already have, I also say keep this tank and add equipment.

This tank is not to my standards. Even if I add equipment, its not to the right shape or size anymore. I have pests. I could do a whole reboot and dru out the rocks and stuff. But why start up the tank again when it has flaws? Always learn from mistakes and improve.

jedimasterben

You can convince me, but why not have the best of both worlds if you can?

There are no 'separate worlds' when there is so much overlap, unless you consider damaging UV and water-heating IR light a plus for the halides.

What is the difference between this

Cree_XPG_warm_white.jpg

paired with this

XPE_royalblue.jpg

compared to this

radium400wspectrum.jpg

(that is the spectral plot of a 400w Radium 20K on a proper ballast)

Add a couple of violet LEDs and you have an even better spectral coverage than the Radium.

There are no 'separate worlds' when there is so much overlap, unless you consider damaging UV and water-heating IR light a plus for the halides.

What is the difference between this

Cree_XPG_warm_white.jpg

paired with this

XPE_royalblue.jpg

compared to this

radium400wspectrum.jpg

(that is the spectral plot of a 400w Radium 20K on a proper ballast)

Add a couple of violet LEDs and you have an even better spectral coverage than the Radium.

I stand corrected. I still feel that LEDs give a hollow look though!

Using LEDs that do this:

XPG_CoolWhite.jpg

You'll never, ever see a fixture that doesn't use cool white looking 'hollow'.

Good to know! Having no sand probably doesn't help though!

Reefmaster1996

Hey, buddy

Look I know how it feels when things that involve your tank aren't going your way, and stuff dies. You just want to quit and get a new tank and buy all these new things that you think will make the ultimate tank and solve all your problems.The best advice that I can give you as a fellow young highschool reefer, is to take a moment and write down all the flaws that your current system has on a piece of paper then draw a line in the middle of the paper and on the opposite side write down possible solutions, and relative cost of these solutions. Then on a separate piece of paper write down everything you need to buy for your new system, and calculate a total cost. Compare the two and then decide what fits best in your life. This comes from a kid who has had a 20 gallon long tank for 3 yrs and keeps finding ways to have fun with it until he can finish his dream tank.

What ever you do. Just have fun!, that's what the hobby's about, not stressing over mistakes that already have been made, but making the best of the current circumstances.

Hey, buddy

Look I know how it feels when things that involve your tank aren't going your way, and stuff dies. You just want to quit and get a new tank and buy all these new things that you think will make the ultimate tank and solve all your problems.The best advice that I can give you as a fellow young highschool reefer, is to take a moment and write down all the flaws that your current system has on a piece of paper then draw a line in the middle of the paper and on the opposite side write down possible solutions, and relative cost of these solutions. Then on a separate piece of paper write down everything you need to buy for your new system, and calculate a total cost. Compare the two and then decide what fits best in your life. This comes from a kid who has had a 20 gallon long tank for 3 yrs and keeps finding ways to have fun with it until he can finish his dream tank.

What ever you do. Just have fun!, that's what the hobby's about, not stressing over mistakes that already have been made, but making the best of the current circumstances.

... I may need may need more than one sheet of paper for what wrong lol!

jedimasterben

Good to know! Having no sand probably doesn't help though!

Having sand doesn't effect the spectral quality of the light. Cool white LEDs have color rendering abilities ranging from poor to piss poor, and that's simply that. Even people with a Radion Pro over their tank still complain that the light itself looks icy and barren, and some corals still don't hold their color like they did under their previous lighting.

Think of it this way - the white LEDs are the foundation of an LED array. Starting with stuff that is inferior for the bottom layer and trying to make up for it as you build upon it doesn't work.

Having sand doesn't effect the spectral quality of the light. Cool white LEDs have color rendering abilities ranging from poor to piss poor, and that's simply that. Even people with a Radion Pro over their tank still complain that the light itself looks icy and barren, and some corals still don't hold their color like they did under their previous lighting.

Think of it this way - the white LEDs are the foundation of an LED array. Starting with stuff that is inferior for the bottom layer and trying to make up for it as you build upon it doesn't work.

I felt if I had sand it would atleast make the tank look lighter!

Time to pimp your ride brawler. What are the teeth of your overflow made of? Cut directly in to the start fire?
they cut a hole in the glass and slabbed a smokey black acrylic piece with teeth on top of it.

I am going to try this little revival. Ill buy a filtersock. some macro for the fuge. Some sand. and new pump for the ato and start using GFO and carbon. If I am still not happy, down she goes!

Listen to the part at 11 minutes. This is what I am trying to say.

they cut a hole in the glass and slabbed a smokey black acrylic piece with teeth on top of it.

Well hell, that's even easier. Replace that piece with a new piece that has wider teeth cut in to it. Case closed, she's a keeper little dude.

Well hell, that's even easier. Replace that piece with a new piece that has wider teeth cut in to it. Case closed, she's a keeper little dude.

yes! until...well, I dont have an infinite of cash flow!

jedimasterben

If those statements are true to you, then choose one of those types of light. You don't get the properties of all three by mixing them, you only get overlap since they can produce the same results.

If those statements are true to you, then choose one of those types of light. You don't get the properties of all three by mixing them, you only get overlap since they can produce the same results.

...but I like all of them! :(

So whatcha gonna buy now?

Welp. I got $450 pulled out for the radion and it was sold today... now I just got cash... GREAT!
I am confused. So you pulled cash out to buy Trons radion but he lives in Florida and you live in Colorado.

Archived