Pod Your Reef

My 8 gallon nano-borg tank

Herptile

Those were my goals when I first started, except Kat wasn't so famous back then........

I've been lurking for over a year before I actually registered and her thread was constantly on the top threads. :lol:

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Polarcollision

This month's photodump and video:

March192013.jpg

Still loving all the textures and colors in your tank! Everything looks really happy and healthy.

Happen to know the name of the bright green SPS near the clown and the teal SPS bottom left?

Still loving all the textures and colors in your tank! Everything looks really happy and healthy.

Happen to know the name of the bright green SPS near the clown and the teal SPS bottom left?

Thank you! Actually everyone's a little pale right now.

The closest ID I have on the green sps near the clown is a green Montipora digitata.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/detailed_image.cfm?pCatId=1275

The teal sps on the bottom left is actually just green. Only my very old digicam makes it look like it's teal.

Truth is I don't really know any of my sps. The one in the middle looks like an Acropora valida and I have another one that looks like a BOP birdsnest.

Polarcollision

Thank you! Actually everyone's a little pale right now.

The closest ID I have on the green sps near the clown is a green Montipora digitata.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/detailed_image.cfm?pCatId=1275

The teal sps on the bottom left is actually just green. Only my very old digicam makes it look like it's teal.

Truth is I don't really know any of my sps. The one in the middle looks like an Acropora valida and I have another one that looks like a BOP birdsnest.

Yeah, I wrote all my purchases in a little notepad so I'd remember the names. Easy to forget them. After installing dosing pumps and an osmolator I finally got water quality under control and my tiny little 1" SPS frags are finally growing!!! Of course that means I'm bitten by the bug and want more... like those green ones you have. :-)

Yeah, I wrote all my purchases in a little notepad so I'd remember the names. Easy to forget them. After installing dosing pumps and an osmolator I finally got water quality under control and my tiny little 1" SPS frags are finally growing!!! Of course that means I'm bitten by the bug and want more... like those green ones you have. :-)

I remember when I started out, I said I'll only have softies so that when they die they'll just melt away and it's like they were never there, unlike hard corals who leave a skeleton behind for me to see and always be reminded. But I couldn't resist a blasto I saw, followed eventually by acans and a goniopora. When my friend gave me 2 sps frags to try out, I was pretty sure they'd kick the bucket. One of them was the valida-looking sps. I did lose a plating montipora (rtn in less than 24 h), rose milli and green tabling acro frags though.

Yeah, this tank doesn't have space for ATOs, dosers and pretty much anything else anymore so I do everything manually. It's OK though. That green sps is actually the best sps grower in my tank. It does feel good when you see your sps encrusting and putting out growth tips. The sps bug has well and truly bitten me. Glad yours are growing now. :)

I love the acros mounted on snail shells. :D

Thanks. Waste not, want not. :lol:

Calling the detritus police.

DSC02462.jpg

In other news, looks like Tiny is going to be a mom again.

DSC02367.jpg

New pet! :wub:

DSC02470.jpg

• 1 month later...

Pic update, please!

Thanks! Well, bad news first. The tank has seen better days. I lost all my xeniid corals, including my beloved Cespitularia that I've had for over a year. In fact, the Anthelia withered even faster than the Xenias I had before. What they had in common was they both did well and grew for a while. After reading Zeph's Batman cave thread, I most likely starved out my corals (even the sps) due to too much (?) detritus removal, water changes and carbon use. Some of the zoas shrunk and I even lost some nass snails in the process. I also think that the hot summer had something to do with it. My temps climbed to mid 80'sF despite having the fan and a room fan directed at the surface. It wasn't like this last year.

Here's my bleached birdnest.

May252013.jpg

Here's what the tank looks like now right after a water change. You can see it was a lot nicer looking before.

May252013.jpg

I've thought about addressing these problems by:

1. increased feeding,

2. removing the carbon or

3. less frequent and/or less volume water changes (maybe just enough to get the detritus out).

I think I'll go with number 3, unless anyone has a better idea. I'd appreciate any and all tips. Thanks. :)

For non-tank related good news, Tiny laid her third clutch a month ago.

DSC02619.jpg

Then her daughter Three had her first clutch last week.

DSC02714.jpg

TAnk still looks good, even with the issues. Do you have any algae growth. That might be a good indicator for water changes.

TAnk still looks good, even with the issues. Do you have any algae growth. That might be a good indicator for water changes.

Thanks. No nuisance algae growth that I can see.

Nice job! Everyone looks healthy and happy. Keep up the great work.

Thanks. That was certainly true a couple of months ago. I need to get it back on track now.

looks great

Thank you. :)

Making belts I hope ;)

Nah, it's far cheaper and easier to just buy belts at the department store. :lol:

Sorry to hear about heat and nutrient related issues in the tank. When temperatures are high, you can maintain coral health by feeding excessively. Corals will metabolize faster and in order to keep up with the demand you have to feed them much more than your normal routine.

You can keep up with the water changes to make yourself feel better, do a heavy feeding and change the water the next day. But reducing the % you change out each time is important. No more than 10 %.

Sorry to hear about heat and nutrient related issues in the tank. When temperatures are high, you can maintain coral health by feeding excessively. Corals will metabolize faster and in order to keep up with the demand you have to feed them much more than your normal routine.

You can keep up with the water changes to make yourself feel better, do a heavy feeding and change the water the next day. But reducing the % you change out each time is important. No more than 10 %.

Thank you Kat. I'll try that. I'm just stumped at why doing a normally good thing (like siphoning detritus) would have negative effects. I didn't start to remove detritus from the main tank until recently (there's a pic of what I got from the main display a few posts up), only what was in the HOB filter and fuge. I was also doing large water changes (2-4 gallons) before. Everything was happy. It's not like I'm removing all the gunk. I'll bet there are still lots in those nooks and crannies and under the rocks that I can't reach. I figured if I didn't start removing them, I'd run into the opposite problem sooner or later (excess nutrients). I just didn't think something like this would happen.

I think it is the heat, What is the highest temp reading you got?

Yep, I think the heat also contributed to these issues. Highest I got was 85-86F with the fans on. Right now, during a night of rain, it's 81F.

As I understand it 85 is really the limit before stress starts showing up, and that's just a general limit. Some corals will stress at lower temps,

some higher.

As I understand it 85 is really the limit before stress starts showing up, and that's just a general limit. Some corals will stress at lower temps, some higher.

That's also what I got from the threads I've been reading here. Believe me, it wasn't just the corals that were stressing out.

Looks great, maybe get some more fans, also try and see if the temp fluctuates a lot from night to day.

It was around 82-83F at night.

I didn't start to remove detritus from the main tank until recently (there's a pic of what I got from the main display a few posts up),

Pfft. That's not detritus, this is detritus, when you're afraid it's going to clog the toilet:

20130406_130159.jpg

Pfft. That's not detritus, this is detritus, when you're afraid it's going to clog the toilet:

20130406_130159.jpg

Buuuuuuuut you have a bigger tank. How many months' worth of detritus is that?

Archived