Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Spencer's Sexy Small Polyped Sixty: From Frags to Riches (Retired)

Spencer7

Check out the Landen Aquariums .. Just saying.

Not sure what size/style ADA but

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DC33FHW

I checked them out a few weeks ago, almost bought.

However since I'm buying my substrate and rock from ADA I might as well get the tank from them for $120 as well.

It should come tomorrow!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not dead!

Tank's doing fine, acros are slowly growing.

The Pennata problem is being taken care of.

My freshwater tank is approaching fulfillment, looking really sexy. That's where my money has been going.

Less than a month before this tank's one year anniversary + photo shoot! :D

I would like to get a doser on this setup, keep things consistent and easier for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Tank's a year old!

Freshwater tank was set up on 4/21/14 so they basically share a birthday.

I'll post a pic of that in a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, long time no see. Here is a nice photo update for you (and future me).

I still have some problems concerning AEFW and Bryopsis Pennata.

My return pump also died after the impeller cracked in half. The tank sat half full with just the MP40 for a week and a half before my replacement came, now everything is clean and healthy.

The freshwater tank is doing well also, the cycling is finishing up and I just added a few fish.

14153567514_af0a571321.jpg

Nukeberry

14150571162_b38bbc49bb.jpg

CR's Oh So Blue

14173471933_c626f0d9a8.jpg

Valida

14173472433_42d8a32472.jpg

Upscales Microlados!

14150082741_335411f2d9.jpg

Fluorescent Green Blue Tenius

13966765828_4fb2681314.jpg

Blue Green Tenius

14173473443_801370e3f7.jpg

Strawberry Limeade

14150084001_c14aef0803.jpg

Clam

14153422165_f2b18f76c2.jpg

CR Yellow Cake (This one will take a while to color properly)

13966738857_a1c84d96e3.jpg

Another shot of the Microlados

13966767338_5b2c264101.jpg

PC Rainbow (Has an awesome red/gold complexion)

14153423155_f5085537ba.jpg

This one shows the color better (although blurry)

14130230796_8c34e0c07c.jpg

Purple Table (Fastest Grower)

14150086101_9eaf49e045.jpg

Halichoeres Cosmetus (for AEFW)

14153567904_9207fc2a82.jpg

• Like 5

Link to my planted tank thread.

I'll probably update that thread this weekend.

My goal for this tank over the summer is to get an automatic doser (either BM or Profilux). In general I've kind of left it on its own, very little maintenance, I feed the fish every four days or so, my dosing has been a little lazy.

Good thing is that AP exams are ending and during the summer I will probably have too much time on my hands.

Enjoy the weather! :D

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Update: School has ended! Now I can finally give my reef tank some much deserved TLC! I'll admit, during testing and baseball the tank was put on the back burner for a few months, but now I have the time and money to give it the attention it loves. Here's a to-do list that summarizes my summer aquarium goals.

• Install a 4-Channel Doser (ESV Ca --- ESV KH --- Tech M --- Pohl's Xtra)
  • Add at least one fish

• Add at least one coral

• Redo the aquascape

• Change out the T5 Bulbs

• Change out the Zeolite reactor and order more Zeolite

Planted Tank (Recently added photos): http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=546089&page=4

Most recent FTS (Also on the first post):

14533572033_11c48b5fe5_b.jpg
  • Like 7
  • 3 weeks later...

Completely re-did my scape. I not only got bored of it, but the bryopsis pennata and the bubble algae became too much of a hassle/chore.

I have one problem with the new scape but it is overall an improvement (at the very least it will be nice to have some fresh (live)rocks).

I cleaned the glass, sand bed, skimmer, sock, and did a water change while making renovations.

I used a dremel for a lot of the cutting and while it is a little sad to cut a encrusted coral, I think the overall health of the corals will improve with the new scape (more light, more flow, and no more toxin-releasing algae encroaching on acro space).

I'll post some pics tomorrow, the tank will probably still be rehabilitating though.

For those who are completely shocked at this sudden image change, I did the same thing to my old cube when it was about the same age as this tank with great results. My only regret was not having done the change earlier and given the corals more time to grow into the new scape.

• Like 2

Comments:

The new scape is cleaner and (in my opinion) healthier for the corals (especially when I add a second circulator to the right side). The scape showcases the acros and allows for plenty of growth, it also shows off my white sand bed (negative space). My biggest issue with the scape (and it is a fixable small one) is that the rocks appear in height order, which is a little unnatural. Over the coming weeks I'll tilt and move the rocks a bit to experiment what I like best.

Like I said earlier, the main reason I re-did the scape was due to nuisance algae and because I got bored of the old scape. What finally pushed me over the edge was thinking about my old 35 gallon cube. I completely switched the scape of that tank three times! Each time I did, I felt I improved the overall atmosphere. My only regret was not having overcome my fears of change and uncertainty quicker, if I had gone to the last scape of the three (*pictured below) sooner, I may have had a chance to let my SPS grow out more and maybe even win TOTM. By the way, the structure on the left of the cube is a massive arch that my fish swam through.

Old Aquascape:

14533572033_11c48b5fe5_b.jpg

New Aquascape:

14670961836_25518d6ef3_b.jpg

*How my old cube went through a similar evolution:

14507535097_7c19da2172_b.jpg

14507304250_4c07dd9a6e_b.jpg

14670962136_071469fdff_b.jpg

• Like 5

Tank looks great Spence.

Speaking of spence, I love this show.

Lol, I may have to binge watch a few episodes!

That setosa is gorgeous

Looks amazing!

Tank's looking beautiful.

Thanks guys, let's hope things stay this way! And sorry Squared, I gave the Setosa a bit of a demotion in the new scape but I'll be sure to get some pics just for you. ;)

I liked the old scape....where's the eel?

The old scape was fine, I just like this one more and thought it had more potential.

The eel died after about a year, the MP40 moved the food too fast around the tank for him to get enough (other fish also ate a good bit).

The tank is currently empty fish-wise, I returned some back to the LFS and two died when I went on a vacation for a couple of days (never leaving my sister in charge again :rolleyes: ). In the future, perhaps this fall, I will try my hand at ~15 parvulus (please keep your comments to yourselves), I think it would look pretty sweet in the open scape, although I may need to put another fish in their to keep them in a group. I don't really feel like adding another garden eel because I don't want to have to worry about it during my school year, at least with the cardinals I would be able to eventually have a automatic pellet feeder to fill any hunger gaps with irregular frozen food feedings.