inTank Media Baskets

Spencer's Sexy Small Polyped Sixty: From Frags to Riches (Retired)

Spencer7

Dropped the salinity...

After a full one or two days his color and appetite came back.

No repercussions, my salinity was high and my guess is that Orangeline Cardinals are hyper-sensitive to high salinity.

Everything looks great, the Rainbow Stylophora, Green Dragon, and Cali Tort are probably the top 3 growers right now. But in general everything is growing.

• Like 1

Photos have been taken, currently being uploaded.

250 Days

I have 102 Photos to go through after round 1 deletions, I'll probably decide on around 50.

• Like 1
11570169406_f52832a6b1_b.jpg
DSC_0013_2 by spencermatonis, on Flickr

11570167916_63e065cd4d_b.jpg
DSC_0014_2 by spencermatonis, on Flickr

11570188143_db5126de3a_b.jpg
DSC_0017_2 by spencermatonis, on Flickr

11570187143_ea1c3886eb_b.jpg
DSC_0021_2 by spencermatonis, on Flickr

11570035445_1fd6e4051b_b.jpg
DSC_0023 by spencermatonis, on Flickr

11570185813_23298059f6_b.jpg
DSC_0024_2 by spencermatonis, on Flickr
Rainbow Stylophora (Pink w/green polyps)

11570078084_ceb8a6aff8_b.jpg
DSC_0025_2 by spencermatonis, on Flickr
New Nuclearberry from BC, just brought up from the sand.

11570033065_3144724e13_b.jpg
DSC_0026_2 by spencermatonis, on Flickr
PC Rainbow

11570032475_a02f619d5f_b.jpg
DSC_0027_2 by spencermatonis, on Flickr
Blue Green Acro w/Acro Crab (it grows too close to the glass and I keep knocking tips off :P )

11570181923_e4122f8ccb_b.jpg
DSC_0028_2 by spencermatonis, on Flickr
Green Dragon

11570025855_c11afb6054_b.jpg
DSC_0045_2 by spencermatonis, on Flickr
Blue Unknown (half acro, half mille)

11570176823_1ce241d079_b.jpg
DSC_0046_2 by spencermatonis, on Flickr
Reverse Prism Favia, this thing pops under actinics!

11570024515_6af2471681_b.jpg
spencermatonis, on Flickr

Bonsai frag anyone?

11570154166_5b43846e49_b.jpg
DSC_0048_2 by spencermatonis, on Flickr
Purple Tricolor Table

11570174063_634a491a2a_b.jpg
DSC_0053_2 by spencermatonis, on Flickr
Northern Lights Granulosa

11570173363_6b51e074dd_b.jpg
DSC_0015_2 by spencermatonis, on Flickr
The Lineup

11570172483_b82306e563_b.jpg
DSC_0060 by spencermatonis, on Flickr
The Sump

11570019565_5fb73c481f_b.jpg
DSC_0066 by spencermatonis, on Flickr
Efflo!

11570150286_f5d1d1c409_b.jpg
DSC_0074 by spencermatonis, on Flickr
Brown/Purple Table

11570149496_ca87c7cb73_b.jpg
DSC_0075 by spencermatonis, on Flickr
NLG Top-Down!

11570169213_a387b3907c_b.jpg
DSC_0077 by spencermatonis, on Flickr
Bonsai Top-Down!

11570168313_97b35fdabb_b.jpg
DSC_0079 by spencermatonis, on Flickr
BC "The Shag"
RS Top-Down

11570058764_471539a924_b.jpg
DSC_0081 by spencermatonis, on Flickr
Setosa

11570144286_fd76d9c8b5_b.jpg
DSC_0016_2 by spencermatonis, on Flickr
SSC Top-Down (Color and PE has shown significant improvement since Zeovit)

11570056244_906605cd5c_b.jpg
DSC_0087 by spencermatonis, on Flickr
Purple Tri-Color Top-Down

11570163873_2f2b3b974a_b.jpg
DSC_0090 by spencermatonis, on Flickr
Unknown (Used to be a purple granny, lol)

11570010035_c0f61a5a1b_b.jpg
DSC_0093 by spencermatonis, on Flickr
  • Like 5

Clams!

BC Nuclearberry Top-Down
Green Dragon Top-Down + A little Nightlight Acro
Aussie Horrida Top-Down

Official FTS will be posted tomorrow! Hope you enjoyed the update.

If you're new and full of questions, please direct your attention to the first post, most likely the info you're looking for will be there.

• Like 4

nice pics

Those clams look absolutely ridiculous !!!! As for you running a zeovit system,how are you liking it so far,after what 3 weeks ?

Gorgeous pictures, the tank is looking great.

Yeah... That looks ok.

:P

Thanks guys. I hoped seeing my tank or reading the thread proves informative, inspiring, or at the very least, entertaining. :D

Zeovit has been an improvement from where I was. Definitely more structured dosing. I completely cleaned the sump, for better or for worse to make room for the reactor. Before committing I was still doing a variety of dosing, with amino acids and other things (Both KZ and FM). A handful of corals have improved (SSC, Cali-Tort, Purple Table). Next, I am dosing interceptor to remove a few red bugs and I also need to change my bulbs out. After that it's on to a automatic doser, and maybe some more flow. I don't consider the system expensive, I spent only $200 for everything to get started. On top of that, I was out of all my supplements and had to do a BRS re-stocking order of ~$200. Looking at my low-nutrient, sps, high-tech, demanding tank and the vision I had for my tank, it made sense to try zeovit (I wouldn't be surprised if some assumed I've done zeovit from day one just by looking at the pics). Not surprisingly to me, it has not helped with bryopsis.

I like to think that I'm in better control of my parameters and my coral colors now. I will be curious to see how adding the various color supplements, amino acids, and potassium will work now. Overall I think Zeovit was very easy for me to adopt, I think it may be much harder for other tanks and their owners. It is not for everyone, that's for sure. I think reefers are easily swayed by reading an amazing tank's profile, saying to themselves, "hey they use Ecotech's!" or "wow, that tank is amazing because the owner takes a piss in it every morning! I should do that!" when in fact I could take any already outstanding tank and slap a few Vortech's or LED's over it with little to no negative repercussions.

I advise to limit other tank's influence on you, although observing other's accomplishments is fun and helpful, experience is infinitively more valuable. Not to be cheesy but...

"Knowledge is what you get from reading the directions, experience is what you get when you don't"

I know I went kind of nuts with the question Reefkid but this was something I have been meaning to talk about regardless. The clams have been doing well, I'm sure they appreciate the all the bacteria Zeovit has to offer. Both were doing excellent before the system and little has changed.

• Like 2

Thanks Spencer. Although your response was lengthy,it was informative from my point of view. I'm sure a lot of people see people using Zeovit on their tanks and think it's easy. I know I did. I'll admit,I thought it was just as easy as dosing calc/alk,which it's not. When I had first seen NanoTopia's 20 gallon stick tank I was like holy sh***t !!! I instantly wanted to try it on my new setup ( I ran across that build almost a year ago ). Every since then,I've been reading on the zeovit system and how it works. Between here and the few people running that system and the zeovit forum,I've learned a lot and what exactly it can do for your system.

Even with Zeovit being a complicated regiment to dose,even on the smallest tanks,its can be beneficial. With me being a nano tank guy ~10 gallons,I've always relied on water changes to control my parameters on all levels. I've had a lot of people disagree with me but,relying on water changes may keep certain parameters in check,but won't always promote the healthiest of tanks and bring out the full potential in your corals,especially sps. Which I don't have to tell you that,you know already.

With all that being said,and from my noob point of view,on my build I'm gathering my supplies for now I'm going to use SOME Zeovit supplements for to get the colors and health I want from whatever corals I keep in my tank,which will be some sps.

I'm going to shut up meow,but I hope you start to touch base on how the system is working for you,and the pro's and con's to it,and if I've missed it I'm sorry but if you could post your dosing schedule that'd be awesome !!!! ;)

http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/SpenceDaFence/media/ZeovitDosingSchedule_zps91f108ab.jpg.html'>ZeovitDosingSchedule_zps91f108ab.jpg

Here. I do not advocate trying to do only certain parts of the Zeovit system. IMO It strikes my as being a little cheap and a little lazy. Before now I tried to do only some of the supplements (Spongepower & Pohl's Xtra) and although some may have found the results acceptable, I saw much better results doing the whole system, with little if none extra effort.

I will continue to update with my thoughts on the system.

There's a line between what it can do in your system and what it will do in your tank, every reef is different, as I'm sure you know.

I need to update a few sheets, I have raised the my carbonate dosage.

• Like 1

Awesome,thanks for the schedule !!! I actually have the nano power package & , and ZeoBak and Zeo Stones in the mail headed to me. In the next few weeks,I'm going to put in a order for Zeofood 7, ZeoStart 3, Bio Mate and then tax return time I'm going to put in a order for the rest of my supplements along with either a bigger skimmer or a Clear Tides Zeo Reactor maybe both lol.

Awesome,thanks for the schedule !!! I actually have the nano power package & , and ZeoBak and Zeo Stones in the mail headed to me. In the next few weeks,I'm going to put in a order for Zeofood 7, ZeoStart 3, Bio Mate and then tax return time I'm going to put in a order for the rest of my supplements along with either a bigger skimmer or a Clear Tides Zeo Reactor maybe both lol.

Coolio, have fun.

Just posted an official FTS after careful consideration!

Quite a collection eh? I just added two new pieces today, my sand bed is filling up fast!

11596283023_8ed9c66ce3_b.jpg
  • Like 6

I was naughty and added two fish...

heheheh

I'll take a few pics tomorrow.

Looking at other threads and how many subs some people have is fascinating. It's amazing how few people know my tank. Seems like the site has definitely gotten more popular. Lotta new tanks.

Beautiful Reef! I followed you here...since they deleted your build bread on the OTHER forum because it contained a link to here...LOL.

I love your rockwork. Its going to look beautiful once all grown out! :D Beautiful clams too!

Subscribed!!! :happydance:

• Like 1

Beautiful Reef! I followed you here...since they deleted your build bread on the OTHER forum because it contained a link to here...LOL.

I love your rockwork. Its going to look beautiful once all grown out! :D Beautiful clams too!

Subscribed!!! :happydance:

Thanks dawg. I'm subbed to your thread. Very similar build to mine.

The wrasses are still alive and well with me. (I don't have a cover on the tank)

I'm ordering some gadgets, supplements, and bulbs throughout the month.

Sicce 4.0

Bulbs

Approximately four supplements (3 New, 1 Re-Stock)

Doser

Vertex Mag Probe and Line Holders

I love that your sump has a lid. I wish mine did!

Thanks man, I love big sumps. ;)

I figured that unless I made some kind of drawer directly below the aquarium I would have plenty of space for a super tall sump, wheich meant...

I made it just tall enough to fit my skimmer (huge noise reduction)

No salt creep or splashing

Little evaporation

Not only is the sump tall, but it is also has long and wide dimensions, (the specs are on the first post) I estimate the sump to hold approximately 15 gallons

• 2 weeks later...

All fish are alive and well.

Moved a few corals around. Ordered a new set of bulbs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fastest growers...

#1 Purple/Tricolor Table

#2 Cali-Tort

#3 Unknown Maricultured (Has been on the sand bed for 3+ months)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last time I checked...

Ca--- 450

KH--- 7

PO4 --- 0.08

K--- 400

Holy! Looks awesome in there, really love the fts and the aqua scape, some new ideas for my new tank! Miss my Cali tort :(

Thanks man! I look forward to checking out your new setup!

I do have a cali-tort frag if you would ever want a piece. Don't know if $30 + shipping would be worth it though. (I'll take a pic just in case ;) )