Pod Your Reef

Spencer's Sexy Small Polyped Sixty: From Frags to Riches (Retired)

Spencer7

The old scape was fine, I just like this one more and thought it had more potential.

The eel died after about a year, the MP40 moved the food too fast around the tank for him to get enough (other fish also ate a good bit).

The tank is currently empty fish-wise, I returned some back to the LFS and two died when I went on a vacation for a couple of days (never leaving my sister in charge again :rolleyes: ). In the future, perhaps this fall, I will try my hand at ~15 parvulus (please keep your comments to yourselves), I think it would look pretty sweet in the open scape, although I may need to put another fish in their to keep them in a group. I don't really feel like adding another garden eel because I don't want to have to worry about it during my school year, at least with the cardinals I would be able to eventually have a automatic pellet feeder to fill any hunger gaps with irregular frozen food feedings.

IMO it'd be awesome to have a group of Parvulus, if you can keep them alive long term.

Another option could be Aioliops Dartfish.

• Like 1

IMO it'd be awesome to have a group of Parvulus, if you can keep them alive long term.

Another option could be Aioliops Dartfish.

They're a bit harder to keep and to buy. In my experience they are a good fish to keep in a <25g tank with low flow.

• Like 1

They're a bit harder to keep and to buy. In my experience they are a good fish to keep in a <25g tank with low flow.

The mini darts? I've heard they prefer similar conditions too the Red Spot Cards, high flow, and a ton of food throughout the day.

The mini darts? I've heard they prefer similar conditions too the Red Spot Cards, high flow, and a ton of food throughout the day.

The food part I agree with, the high flow, I don't. At the store where I worked we kept a bunch in a 9g Eheim tank for a while, before selling them to a customer. I'm not saying they can't handle more flow, they can, I'm simply saying that I believe they are worse swimmers and have a higher propensity to be sucked into a pump or exhausted.

And when I say high flow, I mean a 40g tank with little rock work, a MP40 at 90%, a 750 GPH return pump, and a additional 500 GPH circulator.

• Like 1

The food part I agree with, the high flow, I don't. At the store where I worked we kept a bunch in a 9g Eheim tank for a while, before selling them to a customer. I'm not saying they can't handle more flow, they can, I'm simply saying that I believe they are worse swimmers and have a higher propensity to be sucked into a pump or exhausted.

And when I say high flow, I mean a 40g tank with little rock work, a MP40 at 90%, a 750 GPH return pump, and a additional 500 GPH circulator.

Huh.

103 time turnover! That's INSANE! Anthias would be cool, along with fang blennies. Plus they can take the flow.

I love progress shots, its always great to see how a tank evolves over time.

I couldn't agree more. It's easy enough to do. You don't have to be TOTM to show some growth shots or an FTS sequence!

:D

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys. As you can tell, the college process is a barrel of laughs. :D

Tank is empty 'cept for the SPS pieces.

Have yet to even hook up the doser I bought :blink:

I may stick a few random, atypical fish in there, prob. won't post what unless it goes well, otherwise I would get a beating. :P

Juvenile Heniochus is in the tank by itself currently.

Has not touched a coral and seems pretty at home in the tank (foraging through rocks, not pacing against the glass, eating frozen, etc.). It looks really nice, very crisp colors with the black background.

If I have the time and money, I wouldn't mind adding a group of Parvulus to the tank as well (my personal opinion being that Parvulus exhibit schooling behavior more often when there is a larger, more dominant fish with them).

Hopefully, the butterfly continues to work out, if it doesn't I'll just bring the sucker back to the store. In addition, if it is still at home this weekend, I'll take a couple of pics.

-S

Have you had a chance to play with the doser yet?

Thank you for this, this question made me set it up just now.

So far so good, I set up two dosing channels (Ca + KH). I will need to pick up some more dosing line from LFS.

Channel 1: Calcium doses 4mL from 12-1pm

Channel 2: Alkalinity doses 4mL from 1-2pm

I used adjustment doses to clear the lines of air. So far it has been easy to use. I can't hear it what-so-ever. I need to get something to cover the openings of the ESV containers (prob. drill a hole through the caps).

I think I'm going to return the Heniochus, it isn't causing an incredible amount of damage or anything, but it does have a few lesions on one side (not acting stressed, but I don't feel like killing the poor thing). No biggy though :D

• Like 1

Thank you for this, this question made me set it up just now.

So far so good, I set up two dosing channels (Ca + KH). I will need to pick up some more dosing line from LFS.

Channel 1: Calcium doses 4mL from 12-1pm

Channel 2: Alkalinity doses 4mL from 1-2pm

I used adjustment doses to clear the lines of air. So far it has been easy to use. I can't hear it what-so-ever. I need to get something to cover the openings of the ESV containers (prob. drill a hole through the caps).

Glad to hear you got it all set up. One word of advice I have for you is to make sure that the 'Auto' mode is set to on. My marine Color doser is very similar to the Kamoer units and whenever I change any of the dosing settings the clock pauses and the auto mode disables. It pays to double check every now and again, I have been caught out by it.

As for the container caps, grab your self some of these gland fittings:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416jtbwNo6L._SY300_.jpg

Get ones that have a 2-12mm opening and you can mount them to the lid and pass through some hand airline tubing. I found this works great and using the hard airline tubing means the doser will always be picking up from the bottom of the container.

• Like 1

Bump.jpg

I am finishing my stand this week, I bought the foam, just need to make a flat surface and secure the formica = 2hrs max

Plumb the tank = 2hrs max

Then I'm done, I have rock water, sand, pumps, heaters, lighting, tank sump, etc.

Even premium corals. You'll love this...

I'm going to post a poll of about 5 aqua scapes for the forum to vote on, spread this around, I want a lot of people voting!

All of them look VERY NICE, a bit minimalist (negative space for fish) and catering towards SPS

Had to bump this.

• Like 1

Glad to hear you got it all set up. One word of advice I have for you is to make sure that the 'Auto' mode is set to on. My marine Color doser is very similar to the Kamoer units and whenever I change any of the dosing settings the clock pauses and the auto mode disables. It pays to double check every now and again, I have been caught out by it.

As for the container caps, grab your self some of these gland fittings:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416jtbwNo6L._SY300_.jpg

Get ones that have a 2-12mm opening and you can mount them to the lid and pass through some hand airline tubing. I found this works great and using the hard airline tubing means the doser will always be picking up from the bottom of the container.

Okay, thanks, the Kamoer doesn't have that problem. The settings are consistent, even if the unit is unplugged.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...