Top Shelf Aquatics

My Atlantis - Wild & Woolly May 2015 Pictures!

eitallent

That's gorgeous!

Wow! This is a gorgeous photo!

Thank you both :) I have some more photos; maybe I'll upload them later and put them in my build thread. I just get nervous about posting family photos on the internet; though it's hard to imagine what could happen with old wedding pictures.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
albertthiel

I sure will let you know, Albert. :)

I only have an inch or less of sand in the fuge so I decided to stir it up and siphon it out to do a water change and OMG the filth! :eek:

The thick gray sediment was unbelievable in such a small amount of sand. I removed some of it, not all. I am afraid of removing too much bacteria if I try to get it too clean too fast.

IMG_20130612_143346_660_zpsa80b2ae0.jpg

Amazing indeed what accumulated in there ... wow ... and over how long a period of time was that would you say ?

And yes ... gloves ... for sure ...

Amazing photos! I see some of my zoas in there. :) Everything looks like its doing really well. I just can't get over how nicely that rock wall turned out.

Amazing indeed what accumulated in there ... wow ... and over how long a period of time was that would you say ?

And yes ... gloves ... for sure ...

Hello, Albert.

I would say that was six months tops. I cleaned the old sandbed (3" deep) in the 12 gallon before transfering it to the new 34 gallon aquarium with saltwater and it was not as dirty as the sand in the fuge.

I do have to add a bit more of Dr. Tims bacteria tomorrow after my water change because I notice that cyano is beginning to grow on the sandbed. I guess I disrupted the biological filter a bit in the transfer.

Amazing photos! I see some of my zoas in there. :) Everything looks like its doing really well. I just can't get over how nicely that rock wall turned out.

Thank you Felicia. Your frags are doing really great. I could not take a pic of the Undata but it is really happy too. :happy:

I am really happy with the wall. I did not expect it to look so natural. I was afraid of it being hokey but once the corals and coralline take over it will look even better. I hope!

I got a 3" pvc repair couple to serve as a den for the clowns. Maybe they will stop taking hits of the Ricordea toxins! I will cover it in the same DIY rock rubble and a few shell and add it to the tank as soon as the silicone cures. We will see how Mork and Mindy like. My luck, they will ignore it! :lol:

Here is Mindy obsessing over her reflection the day after her ordeal with the Ricordea.

Mindy is no longer obsessed with the Ricordeas. She is now intrigued with her reflection. She spent all day figuring out what to do about the intruder that would not leave no matter how hard she tried.
You can see her mouth is still raw from chewing on the Ric's tentacles. It is also obvious that the Ric's toxin may have inflamed her right gill. The left gill is perfectly healthy.
We will see what Mindy gets up to tomorrow!

Yesterday Mork was trying to figure out what was going on in the corner. He quickly gave up and started rubbing his belly like a sensible little Clownfish on the Ricordea. He slept in it last night. Today Mindy is ignoring her reflection and watching Mork's bravery in the Ricordea. I think she is afraid of it now.

Meanwhile, Marty the Sixline is having the time of his life swimming fast in all the new space he has. He zooms in and out of the arch, all around the rock island and into the nooks on the rock wall. He is one busy fish!

Poor Skipper is mourning the loss of his soft, squishy Ricordea bed. He sits under the Palys nearby to see if Mork will leave the Ric but alas, Mork has found his home. Skipper does find some pleasure in chasing the air bubbles that stream up the other side of the glass. He like to suction himself to that pane of glass I guess to watch the bubbles stream by.

Lots of happy activities in the tank. :happydance:

The photo dump was awesome! I love the one of the duncans. Beautiful beautiful beautiful.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. :)

I am glad you stopped by, msscha.

The duncans are growing so fast that I fragged them into two. Now each has new heads growing. :D

albertthiel

Hello, Albert.

I would say that was six months tops. I cleaned the old sandbed (3" deep) in the 12 gallon before transfering it to the new 34 gallon aquarium with saltwater and it was not as dirty as the sand in the fuge.

I do have to add a bit more of Dr. Tims bacteria tomorrow after my water change because I notice that cyano is beginning to grow on the sandbed. I guess I disrupted the biological filter a bit in the transfer.

Thank you Felicia. Your frags are doing really great. I could not take a pic of the Undata but it is really happy too. :happy:

I am really happy with the wall. I did not expect it to look so natural. I was afraid of it being hokey but once the corals and coralline take over it will look even better. I hope!

I got a 3" pvc repair couple to serve as a den for the clowns. Maybe they will stop taking hits of the Ricordea toxins! I will cover it in the same DIY rock rubble and a few shell and add it to the tank as soon as the silicone cures. We will see how Mork and Mindy like. My luck, they will ignore it! :lol:

Here is Mindy obsessing over her reflection the day after her ordeal with the Ricordea.

Mindy is no longer obsessed with the Ricordeas. She is now intrigued with her reflection. She spent all day figuring out what to do about the intruder that would not leave no matter how hard she tried.
You can see her mouth is still raw from chewing on the Ric's tentacles. It is also obvious that the Ric's toxin may have inflamed her right gill. The left gill is perfectly healthy.
We will see what Mindy gets up to tomorrow!

Well that is actually not that long for all the sediment you got out ... and I guess you don't have it all yet ... I wonder if stirring it up from time to time and putting the sediment in the water column would help .... and having mech filters trap as much of it as possible.

And yes I can see that now it's not the Ric but the reflection of herself that is the obsession of the day .... : - o

Hopefully that gill redness will go away and the lips will heal .. they do not look bruised or injured from what I can see, but they do have that odd color indeed ...

All the best with her

Looks like everything is adjusting well to the move! I can't wait for my duncan to have a few babies. :D

I'll be watching. Once it starts up it's fast. Nothing for 2 mos for mine but there are now a total of 5 babies I noticed today in the last several wks. I don't know if it helps but I rotate mine so it's not always swaying in one direction (left and more left, did I say LEFT?). I figure it'll probably make the babies stronger too. If figure if people do that with plants, why not my coral.

I'll be watching. Once it starts up it's fast. Nothing for 2 mos for mine but there are now a total of 5 babies I noticed today in the last several wks. I don't know if it helps but I rotate mine so it's not always swaying in one direction (left and more left, did I say LEFT?). I figure it'll probably make the babies stronger too. If figure if people do that with plants, why not my coral.

I think that's a great idea.

That wall was such an awesome concept. That is something I've never seen. Wow, I want closeups like that, love your camera.

Looks like everything is adjusting well to the move! I can't wait for my duncan to have a few babies. :D

I feed the duncan directly. I noticed that when I did not make sure it caught food it did not grow babies at all. I hope those Zoas grow as fast as the duncans to cover up the back wall. :)

That is a great concept. I have spinstream nozzles that change the direction of the flow somewhat. I think I will try turning them too.

I think that's a great idea.

+1

That wall was such an awesome concept. That is something I've never seen. Wow, I want closeups like that, love your camera.

I really love my camera. It was a B-Day gift in May. I watch online tutorials and practice almost everyday using the camera. I am enthralled with the close up views of the corals and inverts. You just cannot get that perspective with the naked eye.

Thanks for sharing my interest in this tank. You guys are so great! :)

Here are all the little lives in the fuge. Click to enlarge if you would like to see the finer details. :D

Tunicate that looks like it is made of cracked glass.

IMG_0049-X2.jpg

IMG_0050-X2.jpg

See the volunteer feather duster in the center? There is a stomatella here too.

IMG_0052-X2.jpg

IMG_0053-X2.jpg

IMG_0048-X2.jpg

This is either a baby rock flower anemone or aiptasia. It was a fat, round little nem loose in a bag with a RFA that I puchased. Usually aiptasia are latched on to LR. :unsure: It is in a shot glass.

IMG_0047-X2.jpg

The real work horses of the fuge:

IMG_0046-X2.jpg

IMG_0045-X2.jpg

LOVE all the fuge life pics. Everything is looking so good :)

Thank you for dropping in, DannaM. :)

The fuge has wonderful creatures. Hopefully it will continue to bloom and grow.

I love your close-up shots! Your camera work is amazing.

Thank you. :)

I cannot take all the credit. I have a Canon T4i which is an amazing machine. It was an ebay deal and in great shape.

Fuge pics are amazing especially when enlarged ...

Wow ....

Thank you, Albert. :)

I always try to post enlarged-when-clicked pictures when ever possible. It is amazing the details one sees in the enlarged versions.

Lolz! Love your new movie. It does looks like she have lipstick on.

Geez! How did I miss your post Mr.M!??

Thank you. Your movies inspire me and I have a loooong way to go before I can reach your level, but hope springs eternal. :D

Mindy's lips are more normal today. Her gill is still not back to normal but better. She is now sitting on the Ric with Mork. I still see her nibbling every once in a while. It must taste so good. :lol:

Yea I noticed and I guess I'll have to figure out how to do so after I get a good camera ... Your pics and Vids are always +

Thanks

Thank you, Albert. :)

I always try to post enlarged-when-clicked pictures when ever possible. It is amazing the details one sees in the enlarged versions.

Archived