Cultivated Reef

My Atlantis - Wild & Woolly May 2015 Pictures!

eitallent

I loved college. It helped that my older brother was there my first year. We even had a class together. :) If he wasn't there I'm sure I would have been home more often. I still enjoyed going home for holidays. Nothing like having your own room again. I hated sharing a dorm room.

Yellow fiji and yellow gorg. Look at KPA for the gorg. I have yellow midas zoas and they add a nice splash of yellow too. :)

I loved college too. But I lived at home. <_< I had to work two jobs to pay tuition so could not afford the dorm life.

What is KPA? I want to look there.

I agree with Gena that the yellow gorgs from KPA are very nice. I got two of them and they are a nice pop of yellow/gold. They also sell the yellow ball sponges for cheap if you want to try again :)

Excellent. I like cheap! :D

You should try again with another yellow sponge and get the other stuff because more is better. :)

I will! More is better! B)

Love the shots of the new tank!!!!!

I don't see Felicia's blue octo in there......did it not make it??? :(

It is in the fuge side. It is trying to die on me, Spiro! It is fading away but still has some blue parts. Should I shade it or should it be in full light?

Thanks for asking. I have been meaning to ask about it here to get some help with it.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KPA is KP Aquatics. They're the website that I ordered the jawfish, gorgs, and sponges from for the seahorse tank. Gena and I have both ordered from them multiple times and they are awesome! Their website is sealifeinc.net

It is in the fuge side. It is trying to die on me, Spiro! It is fading away but still has some blue parts. Should I shade it or should it be in full light?

Thanks for asking. I have been meaning to ask about it here to get some help with it.

It needs as high of light as you can give it! Don't throw it out! I think you should be able to revive it. That stuff is like a weed and won't die easily.

KPA is KP Aquatics. They're the website that I ordered the jawfish, gorgs, and sponges from for the seahorse tank. Gena and I have both ordered from them multiple times and they are awesome! Their website is sealifeinc.net

It needs as high of light as you can give it! Don't throw it out! I think you should be able to revive it. That stuff is like a weed and won't die easily.

Okay. Thanks I just moved most of it to the high-light areas.

Here's their site:

http://sealifeinc.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=86

If you have extra pieces of the octo you can also try puting it in different levels of lighting as well.

I hope it makes it......

I think it will make it now that I have asked for your suggestions. :) At first I had it in direct light and it started to dissolve so I moved it to a shaded area. It may have been the delay in shipping that stressed it out and I mistook that for light damage. It doesn't look like it is improving in the shade either. So now I have different pieces in different places like you suggested, Spiro.

fingerscrossed

Loved the pink lipped clown video. So funny! I just LOVE clowns...they may be very common but they have such personalities and I love their swimming style. =)

~Fred

Loved the pink lipped clown video. So funny! I just LOVE clowns...they may be very common but they have such personalities and I love their swimming style. =)

~Fred

Thank you, Fred.

It is great that you liked the video. Mindy's lips are completely healed and her gill is almost back to normal. They are so wiggly when they swim a person can't help but smile.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you stick around. :)

I know that life is too short to sweat the small stuff, but I am truly disappointed tonight. I gotta ask you what you think.

I made a deal with a N-R member yesterday for a used Maxspect Razor. The seller said the price included shipping costs. I have been waiting for a used one so I jumped on the deal and sent prompt payment just as the seller specified.

I am happy so far.

Today the seller notifies me that shipping is too expensive using UPS. So I suggest USPS and tell the seller I will split the shipping with him/her. Iask for the zip code and the apapproximate weight of the box. I hear nothing for a few hours. So I took the iniative picked a zip code from sellers location and use the weight from the manufacturer and the approximate size of a box I would use to calculate the cost for two day priority. It turns out to be $43 for online label. I share this with the seller and offer to pay half the shipping.

He replies that he/she would not even know where to get a box and does not feel the packing would be sufficient to protect the light. The PayPal payment was refunded. I am glad for that.

So I ask you smart people. What do you make of this?

Did the seller really have no idea how to pack the light? Or how much shipping would cost before posting the classified ad?

IDK but no harm done, just time waisted and excitement turned to disappointment. :(

I know that life is too short to sweat the small stuff, but I am truly disappointed tonight. I gotta ask you what you think. I made a deal with a N-R member yesterday for a used Maxspect Razor. The seller said the price included shipping costs. I have been waiting for a used one so I jumped on the deal and sent prompt payment just as the seller specified. I am happy so far. Today the seller notifies me that shipping is too expensive using UPS. So I suggest USPS and tell the seller I will split the shipping with him/her. Iask for the zip code and the apapproximate weight of the box. I hear nothing for a few hours. So I took the iniative picked a zip code from sellers location and use the weight from the manufacturer and the approximate size of a box I would use to calculate the cost for two day priority. It turns out to be $43 for online label. I share this with the seller and offer to pay half the shipping. He replies that he/she would not even know where to get a box and does not feel the packing would be sufficient to protect the light. The PayPal payment was refunded. I am glad for that. So I ask you smart people. What do you make of this? Did the seller really have no idea how to pack the light? Or how much shipping would cost before posting the classified ad? IDK but no harm done, just time waisted and excitement turned to disappointment. :(

Ugh...very disappointing. But I think I'd be grateful that they went the route of understanding their shipping skill limitations and just refunding the money. Strange though that he didn't have a box already prepared before listing the item. I sell on eBay and I always make sure I have the item fully packed and ready to go so I can calculate the shipping before listing and not be scrambling for a box after-the-fact.

It stinks though since you had your hopes up for receiving the light (as we all would)! Do they come up for sale very often, used?

What a serious pain! At least you got your money back, but what a letdown when you thought you had scored a used light. Who lists something online and says they will ship without knowing how to pack it or knowing anything about how much shipping costs. Goodness! Sounds like this guys didn't think at all before he listed it for sale. Sorry! I hope you can find another one!

jedimasterben

I know that life is too short to sweat the small stuff, but I am truly disappointed tonight. I gotta ask you what you think. I made a deal with a N-R member yesterday for a used Maxspect Razor. The seller said the price included shipping costs. I have been waiting for a used one so I jumped on the deal and sent prompt payment just as the seller specified. I am happy so far. Today the seller notifies me that shipping is too expensive using UPS. So I suggest USPS and tell the seller I will split the shipping with him/her. Iask for the zip code and the apapproximate weight of the box. I hear nothing for a few hours. So I took the iniative picked a zip code from sellers location and use the weight from the manufacturer and the approximate size of a box I would use to calculate the cost for two day priority. It turns out to be $43 for online label. I share this with the seller and offer to pay half the shipping. He replies that he/she would not even know where to get a box and does not feel the packing would be sufficient to protect the light. The PayPal payment was refunded. I am glad for that. So I ask you smart people. What do you make of this? Did the seller really have no idea how to pack the light? Or how much shipping would cost before posting the classified ad? IDK but no harm done, just time waisted and excitement turned to disappointment. :(

Most people have no idea what goes into getting a product to another person. They think they can make a quick buck by selling whatever it is they have, but when it comes time to actually get it to their buyer, there's a lot more that goes into it than putting it in a small flat-rate box and sending it on its way.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Okay. I just thought maybe he/she just got a better deal and decided not to honor our agreement. I hope that is not the case.

Your responses validate and reinforce my thoughts on the matter. Inexperience of selling and not thinking through the shipping aspect is probably the problem

Ugh...very disappointing. But I think I'd be grateful that they went the route of understanding their shipping skill limitations and just refunding the money. Strange though that he didn't have a box already prepared before listing the item. I sell on eBay and I always make sure I have the item fully packed and ready to go so I can calculate the shipping before listing and not be scrambling for a box after-the-fact.

It stinks though since you had your hopes up for receiving the light (as we all would)! Do they come up for sale very often, used?

I do not see them come up for sale often. That is why I was so happy about it.

What a serious pain! At least you got your money back, but what a letdown when you thought you had scored a used light. Who lists something online and says they will ship without knowing how to pack it or knowing anything about how much shipping costs. Goodness! Sounds like this guys didn't think at all before he listed it for sale. Sorry! I hope you can find another one!

Yes, I think the seller was very prompt with the refund! Thank my lucky stars. Hubby says just to buy a new one. Can you tell he is not the financial manager of the family? :lol:

Sounds like if they were that much NOT in the know about packing, then it probably would've come to you broken.

Yes, probably better off in the long run. :) You are good at finding the silver lining. Aren't you?

Most people have no idea what goes into getting a product to another person. They think they can make a quick buck by selling whatever it is they have, but when it comes time to actually get it to their buyer, there's a lot more that goes into it than putting it in a small flat-rate box and sending it on its way.

Yes, I am beginning to realize this fact. I always do like Gena says she does. I box up my items first, weigh and measure so I know how much the shipping will be. Thanks, Ben.

Thanks for your input everyone.

:grouphug:

Good night and sleep tight! :wub:

I am listening to 80's music as I post. Nena 99 luft balloons is playing. A-Ha Take On Me just played. :lol: I love the eighties.

A few more pictures. :D

The color is not great because it is a morning picture session and the tones are blue on the lights.

This Sympodium is really groing now. :D

IMG_0017-X2.jpg

I Just Died in Your Arms Tonight is now on. :wub:

Fuzzies and Feathers in the Fuge ;)

IMG_0013-X2.jpg

Little pink cup shaped macros growing on the rock. IDK what they are.

IMG_0008-X2.jpg

Blue Octo trying to survive. :mellow:

IMG_0007-X2.jpg

Blue Octo and Red Titan with a resident Stomatella

IMG_0009-X2.jpg

The long exposure left traces of the micro bubbles zipping by. Very cool shot. I can see little star shaped things on the glass. Hydroids?

IMG_0012-X2.jpg

The Dragon Eyes (?) really love the Razor.

IMG_0018-X2.jpg

Felicia's Undata is recovering nicely.

IMG_0019-X2.jpg

The baby Hammer is still doing well.

IMG_0005-X2.jpg

I have no idea what this frag is. I picked it up at the LFS. Some kind of Leather? Would love to have an ID.

IMG_0005a-X2.jpg

This Bird's Nest is a yellow-green with pink tips. It has new little projections groing. I am so excited about this growth!

IMG_0004-X2.jpg

A dark Bird's Nest

IMG_0003-X2.jpg

There are some billowy, cobweb looking growths covering the love shack. :unsure: You can see it under the center shell.

IMG_0004a-X2.jpg

IMG_0001a-X2.jpg

Polarcollision

USPS was the cheapest shipping I found when I sold the AI Nano. It was just a few dollars more to wrap it in bubble wrap. I was super nervous about shipping and something damaging the light, so that could very well be it. It's also possible the person found a better price, or sold it locally. Sorry you had one so close in hand. I'm sure another will show up soon. If money and time were not barriers, I'd probably switch to a custom LED build with more controllability than the Razor's two chanels. Something to think about? Mostly because it's tough to get used to the looks of purple windex water. Corals seem to like it better than the AI light.

USPS was the cheapest shipping I found when I sold the AI Nano. It was just a few dollars more to wrap it in bubble wrap. I was super nervous about shipping and something damaging the light, so that could very well be it. It's also possible the person found a better price, or sold it locally. Sorry you had one so close in hand. I'm sure another will show up soon. If money and time were not barriers, I'd probably switch to a custom LED build with more controllability than the Razor's two chanels. Something to think about? Mostly because it's tough to get used to the looks of purple windex water. Corals seem to like it better than the AI light.

Well, you are a smart cookie! I might consider the custom LED route. I will look into it again.

The seller probably did find a local buyer and did not want the hassle of shipping. Oh, well. C'est la vie. :)

I made home-made 'potaje' (beans, carrots,spices and smoked beef sausage). With it we are having fresh cornbread that my daughter made. Hubby is slicing up jalapenos from the garden and they are so spicy that I can smell them from the kitchen. It's gonna be a good dinner! Mmmmm....

I made home-made 'potaje' (beans, carrots,spices and smoked beef sausage). With it we are having fresh cornbread that my daughter made. Hubby is slicing up jalapenos from the garden and they are so spicy that I can smell them from the kitchen. It's gonna be a good dinner! Mmmmm....

Mmm, food. Your tank is looking great. And, your baby hammer is so cute; how old is it?

Mmm, food. Your tank is looking great. And, your baby hammer is so cute; how old is it?

Thank you, Cynthia. It is about six months old. It has two rows of arms now. Initially I counted five tiny tentacles on one row. It looked like a daisy. :)

Probably a tweenager and no clue how to manage relationships/sell anything/ship anything etc. Don't sweat it. I'm always of the opinion that if there were issues with shipping, there would probably be issues with the product. Not always but... Save up and get one from Dave Fason. Look him up in NR if u haven't yet. My friend got one an they look awesome!

Probably a tweenager and no clue how to manage relationships/sell anything/ship anything etc. Don't sweat it. I'm always of the opinion that if there were issues with shipping, there would probably be issues with the product. Not always but... Save up and get one from Dave Fason. Look him up in NR if u haven't yet. My friend got one an they look awesome!

Hi, pschom.

Yes I think your are right on the money about that deal.

I think Dave Fason is the guy who made the light for NanoTopia's new Cube. It is really nice.

I have no idea what this frag is. I picked it up at the LFS. Some kind of Leather? Would love to have an ID.

IMG_0005a-X2.jpg

OI am thinking a clove polyp of some kind? (http://www.seascapestudio.net/reference/cnidarian.php?id=20) It is quite loverly! Also, I've been watching Cleo, my clownfish, tonight behaving in ways that remind me of hotlips! She seems quite annoyed that her toadstool leather, which has taken to fluffing again (Cleo is clearly happy about that), is closed, and seems to be cleaning off the detritus. Sweet girl -- maybe I should get her a swiffer!

Awesome photos!!!! Your dinner tonight is killing me. We still haven't decided what to do. Stay in or go out...hmmmm. I'd rather come to your house. :)

I agree on that being a leather. Looks like a toadstool.

OI am thinking a clove polyp of some kind? (http://www.seascapestudio.net/reference/cnidarian.php?id=20]http://www.seascapestudio.net/reference/cnidarian.php?id=20[/url]) It is quite loverly! Also, I've been watching Cleo, my clownfish, tonight behaving in ways that remind me of hotlips! She seems quite annoyed that her toadstool leather, which has taken to fluffing again (Cleo is clearly happy about that), is closed, and seems to be cleaning off the detritus. Sweet girl -- maybe I should get her a swiffer!

Your clowns are having the time of their lives.

Thanks, for the link. It led me to look at this

http://www.seascapestudio.net/reference/cnidarian.php?id=11

That is a pretty leather of some kind.

I like that the polyps look like clove polyps. It is so lacy.

Awesome photos!!!! Your dinner tonight is killing me. We still haven't decided what to do. Stay in or go out...hmmmm. I'd rather come to your house. :)I agree on that being a leather. Looks like a toadstool.

The beans turned out really creamy and smoky. So good. I wish I could share them with you too.

Great photos as always. I love all your amazing detailed macro shots. They make me want a nice camera with a macro lens.

That new leather thing is super cool whatever it is! I'm so glad to see the undata is doing well! Looks sooo much better! Sorry about the ochtodes though, they looks pretty sad. Hopefully they can recover. I wonder what bothered them so much.

Archived