ReefCleaners.org

40B Stand Build...COMPLETE!

mike c

Mike I was not trying to mess with your build thread. I was just saying that as a DIYer myself we tend to do things exsesive. Sorry if my last post came off as me being an a$$.

Kevin

Not at all, no worries, Kevin. Sorry if it sounded directed towards you. I've just heard it a dozen times, lol. I'm no expert, so I too would rather overbuild, than to question it's strength after the fact.

Finally had a chance to buy some molding! The bottom trim is about 1/4" taller than top trim.

I used the miter saw, to cut the molding to 45° angles.

2012-09-25_14-07-28_716.jpg

2012-09-25_14-18-41_867.jpg

Nailed them on using 1 5/8 post/molding nails.

2012-09-25_13-24-09_967.jpg

2012-09-25_14-18-31_125.jpg

2012-09-25_14-19-06_527.jpg

I went with MDF, since it tends to be A LOT staighter than plywood, with less bow. I had them cut them to size, which was 1/2" bigger than the opening, so they overlap the face of the stand.

I used the same trim thats around the bottom of the stand, to frame the edges of the MDF pieces.

I then cut them to size, using the miter saw, at the 45 deg. setting.

Using small 3/4" wood screws (and the help of clamps), I screwed the trim to the MDF, from the the back side.

Next is to mount them to the stand, using "flush" style cabinet hinges!!

Well....what does everybody think!!???

I think I'm going to leave it unpainted. All the knots and unfinished wood grew on me.

2012-10-01_15-17-50_157.jpg

2012-10-01_15-18-17_811.jpg

2012-10-01_15-30-53_680.jpg

2012-10-01_15-31-19_468.jpg

2012-10-01_15-32-02_871.jpg

That stand is really beautiful! Great job!

Why not give it a sweet color stain?

That is very nice, great craftsmanship and agree a nice stain would look great or just a clear sealant.

Think I may have to copy this when I upgrade my tank in a year or so.

Edited by frostyj

Thank you. I may put clear coat on it, to give it a little protection against water drip and also darken it a shade or two. My only concern is the MDF doors. I've never seen clear, or any stain for that matter, on MDF. I'm not sure if it will look good, and/or damage the MDF.

Thank you. I may put clear coat on it, to give it a little protection against water drip and also darken it a shade or two. My only concern is the MDF doors. I've never seen clear, or any stain for that matter, on MDF. I'm not sure if it will look good, and/or damage the MDF.

Nice job Mike! Stain or clear won't hurt the MDF, but it would look funny with part of the stand showing grain while the doors have none....imo. I think paint would be your best bet.

I need to post some pics of mine as I just spent about six hours yesterday breaking down my 46bow and setting up the 40b in its place......still need to finish the doors as my little girl can't stay away from the exposed sump :D

-Thanks again for the great build,

Jack

kevinlogan42

I would paint the MDF a solid color to contrast you stain. Should make it look nice. Go with a dark middle and light stain or vise versa. Seen some nice cabnetry done that way. Also saw a realy nice stand that had and antiqued finish on it. Either way your stand looks awsome. nice work.

Kevin

I would paint the MDF a solid color to contrast you stain. Should make it look nice. Go with a dark middle and light stain or vise versa. Seen some nice cabnetry done that way. Also saw a realy nice stand that had and antiqued finish on it. Either way your stand looks awsome. nice work.

Kevin

I was just thinking of a way to antique the MDF, darker color under with the antique/crackel look with a lighter color.

BTW Mike, if you don't mind what was the cost of the materials?

Edited by frostyj

Kevin

Yeah, I actually like the color/texture difference of the MDF. I'll probably test some clear on a few scrap pieces, then decide if I like it.

I was just thinking of a way to antique the MDF, darker color under with the antique/crackel look with a lighter color.

I've spent about $130 on material. That's including screws, hinges, wood, and wood that I trashed due to mistakes. You could get that down to probably $80, by using MDF to skin the frame, instead of plywood.

kevinlogan42

Lowes sells a pretty simple DIY crackle finish, they also have cool patina kit as sell.

Kevin

Step 6:

Now all we need to do is add some support beams. If you were to place a tank on this stand, as is, all the weight would be on the few screws along the perimeter. IT WILL FAIL. To support the weight of a full tank, we need (8) more support beams.

Nice build! I've been known to overbuild a little as well, so I tried to keep it in check this time. I notched the legs so that they served as support beams as well, saving four pieces of 2x4. You can see it in the picture with my ADA 22g. I decided to go the stained route.

post-22015-1349154626_thumb.jpg

post-22015-1349154640_thumb.jpg

Nice build! I've been known to overbuild a little as well, so I tried to keep it in check this time. I notched the legs so that they served as support beams as well, saving four pieces of 2x4. You can see it in the picture with my ADA 22g. I decided to go the stained route.

Oh yeah, interesting. First time I've seen that, great job! Nice job on the stain, looks factory!

Paleoreef103
Nice job Mike! Stain or clear won't hurt the MDF, but it would look funny with part of the stand showing grain while the doors have none....imo. I think paint would be your best bet.

I need to post some pics of mine as I just spent about six hours yesterday breaking down my 46bow and setting up the 40b in its place......still need to finish the doors as my little girl can't stay away from the exposed sump :D

-Thanks again for the great build,

Jack

If you wanted to try a stain or clear, just try it on the back of the doors first. That way you don't have to worry about it. Personally, I think I'd make the MDF white and stain or clear coat the rest, but that's just my opinion. Stand looks excellent, my good sir.

What color stain is going on this thing?

Think I'll just use a clear. I like the way it looks now, but it needs a little extra ptotection. I guarantee, I'll drip or splash water on this thing in no time.

hypersnyper694788

i would definitely stain the plywood so you can still see all the knots and grain. I think the antique idea will look awesome. Here's a pic of my stand, the doors are atique's imported from India. They have that antique look, to give you an idea.

IMG_3054.jpg

• Like 1
i would definitely stain the plywood so you can still see all the knots and grain. I think the antique idea will look awesome. Here's a pic of my stand, the doors are atique's imported from India. They have that antique look, to give you an idea.

IMG_3054.jpg

not sure what I like more...the doors ..or that sweet scape

BTW Awesome build Mike!

Well I coated the stand with 3 coats of semi-gloss clear. It didn't add much shine or luster (I'm glad), but hopefully it added some protection against water drips.

2012-10-06_16-30-35_929.jpg

At first I used a 3 1/4" hole saw to core a hole for the overflow to run down to the sump. This ended up being too small, as the bulkhead would not fit through it. So I used a jigsaw to cut out a bigger hole. This worked perfect, and there's plenty of room to screw/unscrew the bulkhead.

2012-10-06_17-17-00_500.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I think you should be using polyurethane for the sealer instead of gloss paint, if it was paint you used that is. Nice stand, Might have to post some pics of my tank some day. Made mine of steel. If could hold up the house.

I think you should be using polyurethane for the sealer instead of gloss paint, if it was paint you used that is. Nice stand, Might have to post some pics of my tank some day. Made mine of steel. If could hold up the house.

I did use polyurethane, sorry I was referring to it as gloss. Definitely post up some pics!