Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

40B Stand Build...COMPLETE!

mike c

I just Built a stand for my 65 Gallon tank. I used the the space on the sides for storage with doors as well. A couple shelves for food and a few other small thinkgs that I keep close by. The other side is saved for all my electrical,

2012-09-08_16-16-09_607.jpg

2012-09-08_17-23-48_709.jpg

I figured this way It would all be away from the sump and the moisture. Just a thought for you.

As for doors I used 1x4 and 1/2 ply wood. I used my guide for my skill say to take a 1/2 x3/4 notch out of the frame and inlayed the ply wood. Then Glued and screwed it all together. Here is a pic of 3 doors primed

2012-09-08_17-26-23_254.jpg

As you can see I am still filling and sanding. Primer really brings out the imperfections so I have my work cut out for me.

Kevin

That's pretty dope! I really like the idea of the side compartments. Dammit, now you have me thinking...

The sump I'm getting is about 23x13, leaving me enough room to probably pull that off. Thanks for the great idea, Kevin!

Nice work Mike....I'll probably build a stand for my 40B and follow your design....rock solid

Thanks, reeferEddy! It's a basic, but super strong design. let me know if you run into any problems.

I am using a 20 tall as a sump it leaves a little room in the cabinet but not much. I will be painting and.finishing in the next week so I will let you know how the finish product turns out. I want to do it this weekend but unfortunately I am out of town for soccer games all weekend.

Kevin

I am using a 20 tall as a sump it leaves a little room in the cabinet but not much. I will be painting and.finishing in the next week so I will let you know how the finish product turns out. I want to do it this weekend but unfortunately I am out of town for soccer games all weekend.

Kevin

I hear you. I rarely have time on the weekends to work on my stand. Luckily its at my work yard, so I usually get a few minutes during lunch, or on real slow days. My sump is also 20 gal, but its a weird size, like in between a Long and a Tall.

Very Nice! I will probably be stealing this design to make mine! Cant wait to see the doors!

Steal away! Thinking of buying a couple pre built cabinet doors, so it looks official.

Measured out, and cut the floor board.

2012-09-17_10-28-40_845.jpg

2012-09-17_10-28-23_892.jpg

Used a jigsaw, and some rough sand paper.

2012-09-17_11-12-40_408.jpg

Tapped it into place with a rubber mallot.

2012-09-17_11-15-50_837.jpg

2012-09-17_11-16-08_919.jpg

Screwed it down, and sealed it with Kilz.

2012-09-17_11-31-59_446.jpg

2012-09-17_12-43-21_35.jpg

Alright...got some plywood layed down today!

Screwing down the right side panel.

2012-09-17_14-39-42_768.jpg

Top, Left, and Right panels on.

2012-09-17_15-46-51_815.jpg

View from front. I had some pieces cut, to frame around the front opening, but I measured wrong...lol. I'll have to re-measure, and re-cut.

2012-09-17_15-47-07_723.jpg

2012-09-17_15-46-28_519.jpg

The opening is 27", and the depth is 19". The sump I have, is 25.5" x 13.5", it'll be a perfect fit!!!

2012-09-17_06-12-43_676.jpg

Edited by mike c
My tank is 30" and even though it's not buit yet, my sump is 30"

What would I do in that case, huge rim? Suggestions?

Not sure bro. Are you going with the same stand build? I also take it you already have the sump?

Got the front skin slapped on today! There's a few minor gaps in the seams, which I'll fill and sand before painting. Also looking at different trims for the top and around the bottom. Thinking of spraying it a flat black, to match the tanks frame.

2012-09-19_12-53-36_686_zps253ea77c.jpg

2012-09-19_12-53-23_141_zps9f146ae0.jpg

2012-09-19_12-54-08_642_zpsd51bd3c7.jpg

I'm bumping your thread. Also I could look at these all day:

They look so perfect even I want to build.

Lol. I think I was at the lumber yard for like 25 mins, picking out the best looking 2x4's. They must have been thinking, just pick some damn wood!

Hey Mike,

Thanks for sharing this build! I copied it and knocked out all the framing today, working on the skin tomorrow. Super simple and bombproof stand!

Nice! Gotta make a thread, or at least post up some pics!

I will get some pics up for you in the morn but all done it looks like a wooden crate........no doors or hinges just panels and magnets.

Can't wait to see! I'm really interested in the magnet mounts. Sounds like it would be a nice clean look.

Hey Mike if I took out the 2 vertical support beams to allow my sump to slide in cleanly from the front will it be able to support a 40 gallon tank? Do you know any different designs that could help or just any other general designs that are under $200 (just materials)?

Hey Mike if I took out the 2 vertical support beams to allow my sump to slide in cleanly from the front will it be able to support a 40 gallon tank? Do you know any different designs that could help or just any other general designs that are under $200 (just materials)?

You do realize that if you picked up a stand from walmart or petco they are made out of fiber board. I ran my 55 gal on a walmart stand for years and that it never cratered. 1 2x4 in each corner properly supported and secured with plywood will hold the weight of a forty gallon tank. Just make sure when you frame the top that both pieces sit on the 2x4. this is a crude paint drawing but you get the point. As long as you use a good piece of sheeting on the out sides to square and stabilize the stand you have nothing to worry about.

Kevin

post-71714-1348532396_thumb.jpg

Edited by kevinlogan42

You can skip Step 3, and angle screw the outside support beams straight to the square frames from Step 2. As long as the tank sits on 2x4's, that are directly supported by vertical beams. According to everybody that has said this stand is overkill (not my suggestion), you will probably be safe if you removed the (4) front and back facing 2x4's, and only used the (4) that cover the seam, on the left and right side. For this, I think the only thing you'd need to add is few extra inside supports to keep it from swaying (like in Step 5).

This is the only design I've used to build a stand. There are plenty other designs out there, if you Google for a bit. So far only I've spent about $75 in material.

Mike I was not trying to mess with your build thread. I was just saying that as a DIYer myself we tend to do things exsesive. Sorry if my last post came off as me being an a$$.

Kevin