Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

40B Stand Build...COMPLETE!

mike c

I don't know how I missed the MP10s my first read through but you got both for 300!?

Yeah both for $300! Used, obviously, but in perfect condition. A Craigslist score!

I have been following this thread and I am currently in the process of building a new 40b tank as hurricane sandy destroyed my 12" cube. I have a few question for you if you could help

Did you use whitewood studs from homedepot? Im just wondering if these are sturdy enough or will I need to purchase different type of wood for the stand.

How much did this project end up costing you? I just want the cheapest build possible with the strongest stand.

How did you first put the framing together? I mean did you have something holding the wood together before you started to drill the top and bottom frame?

I have been following this thread and I am currently in the process of building a new 40b tank as hurricane sandy destroyed my 12" cube. I have a few question for you if you could help

Did you use whitewood studs from homedepot? Im just wondering if these are sturdy enough or will I need to purchase different type of wood for the stand.

How much did this project end up costing you? I just want the cheapest build possible with the strongest stand.

How did you first put the framing together? I mean did you have something holding the wood together before you started to drill the top and bottom frame?

Sorry to hear about your 12g. Let's see, I used kiln dried doug fir, from a local lumber yard. I believe home depot carries it. If not, regular doug fir will work fine.

You'll definitely want a couple clamps, like c-clamps, to help hold the sticks together as you drill. Also a flat level surface. Double check your build with a level as you go.

I've spent about $130 on material. That's including screws, hinges, wood, and wood that I trashed due to mistakes. You could get that down to probably $80, by using MDF to skin the frame, instead of plywood.

Whats MDF? and thanks for the quick reply. Great tank build its going to be my inspiration for my new build

Thanks! MDF stands for Medium Density Fiberboard. Basically the stuff IKEA furniture is made out of.

• 1 month later...
Thanks! MDF stands for Medium Density Fiberboard. Basically the stuff IKEA furniture is made out of.

New to the forum... Your stand build is really nice. I'm getting ready to start a system of my own and I think I'll use your design for the stand!

New to the forum... Your stand build is really nice. I'm getting ready to start a system of my own and I think I'll use your design for the stand!

Welcome to the forums!

Nice stand.

Ikea furniture most definitely is not MDF though, it's a much lighter and flimsier board.

If anyone does want to use MDF for their stand also, I suggest a good sealer for it. The stuff swells like crazy and when it's waterlogged, you can pull it apart with your fingers.

Nice stand.

Ikea furniture most definitely is not MDF though, it's a much lighter and flimsier board.

If anyone does want to use MDF for their stand also, I suggest a good sealer for it. The stuff swells like crazy and when it's waterlogged, you can pull it apart with your fingers.

I guess I give Ikea too much credit, lol. Great advice on the sealer, I agree.

• 2 weeks later...

Im planning a stand during my winter break basically based off yours except it's 48 inches long. do you think it'll be strong enough without any other vertical supports across the middle?

Im planning a stand during my winter break basically based off yours except it's 48 inches long. do you think it'll be strong enough without any other vertical supports across the middle?

Honestly, I couldn't say for sure. If it was me, I'd add one. But you may find you don't need it, if it's a glass tank with a frame.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
SaltWaterNewb

I built my own stand for a 75g tank with corners pretty much the same as the ones mike c did for his 40g tank. The stand is absolutely solid as a rock. You'd be fine with just the corners and no additional vertical support. My stand is is probably 8 years old and not an issue. Let me add, I built mine from 2x3's, not 2x4's. If you use 2x4's, you'll get that much more support capability.

I built my own stand for a 75g tank with corners pretty much the same as the ones mike c did for his 40g tank. The stand is absolutely solid as a rock. You'd be fine with just the corners and no additional vertical support. My stand is is probably 8 years old and not an issue. Let me add, I built mine from 2x3's, not 2x4's. If you use 2x4's, you'll get that much more support capability.

thanks. got the stand finished, still looking for a 75g tank, i have no worries about it, used 5/8 in plywood for the top.

50g003.jpg

Dude this stand is pure crap...

J/k! Hahaha...

Actually it looks a lot like this one: http://freshwatercichlids.com/do-it-yourself-aquarium-stand

Then again the loading principles are the same... Honestly, if those were construction grade screws they probably would have held fine (many of those screws have 350-650+lbs shear strength each!!) but for the $2.50 or whatever a 2x4 costs it produces a nice even place to attach the plywood.

Speaking of overbuilding things, I built a stand for my 40br in 2010 but I had to take it down to re-do the floor. I'm hoping to set it up again in a few weeks! I hit up 2 LFS today to brainstorm...

IMG_1287.jpg

• 6 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank for sharing this I’m starting a similar project for a 40b but using a bath vanity as the shell. Hopefully when complete will also be adequately strong. I’ll add pictures once I get going. 

• 2 months later...

I want to build a Stand for my 45 Gallon tall tank, and once I figure that out build a stand for a 120+ Aquarium. I want mine out of all plywood, though. I got seriously injured when I was in my late twenties, pulling a big Chiller out of a Furniture store. Doubled and Tripled up two by sixes snapped, due to a running defect in the boards. Talk Ed to a local Cabinet shop, they gave me the address of an Amish sawmill, also they told e about this place in Alexandria, VA that can get 1-1/2” Plywood. 

• 5 months later...
Sdeluca10

I’m glad I found this build. I am setting up a 40 gallon breeder and wanted to build my own stand. I followed this design very closely as far as the frame goes. Although I made A few modifications. I made the stand 40 inches tall instead of 36 so that you don’t have to bend down as much to look at the tank. Also, for what it’s worth, I regret making the stand a half and inch bigger around the whole thing. I would have preferred to have the bottom of the tank flush with the stand, instead of having a lip.(oh well...)  I used luon to cover the frame and I took the easy way out and bought 1 cabinet door and cut a hole in the front luon the size of the door. Hung the door on the luon and then reinforced the stand with 2x4 to the left and right of the door. I then Hung up the front piece of luon with the door and then I bought molding to cover the Seams at the top. And I added a couple small pieces of 2x4 on the inside Sides of the frame to act as little shelves. The back was left wide open for a sump. I did put a horizontal piece of 2x4 across the back (up higher) that I hung a power strip on. I painted the whole stand and covered with Polyacrylic.