Cultivated Reef

Zephs Zoo Haus !

ZephNYC

I don't know enough about phyto to comment with certainty. My guess would be that the settling in the bottle is dead phyto. The mixture is not being aerated and the organism does have a life span. :mellow:

Not at all...live phyto settles at the bottom too. If it was dead it would stink.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't any food work as long as it has a nutritional value to the clam and is within the micron range they can filter? What range can they filter?

Not at all...live phyto settles at the bottom too. If it was dead it would stink.

You may be right. I would have to say that while phyto may not be free swimming (or it would say so on the live bottles), that live food is far better than dead.

Dr G's phyto page says:

This all-natural, living organism will thrive in your tank until consumed, helping to keep your tank balanced and beautiful.

Dr. G's Live Phytoplankton is alive, fresh and you will see results in 2-4 weeks.

You cannot overfeed, as these are live Phytoplankton, which if not consumed immediately will remain alive in your tank.

Phytoplankton will stay alive for up to 2 months in the refrigerator. Shake the bottle at least once a day to prevent the phytoplankton cells from falling out of suspension and collecting on the bottom, as aggregates at the bottom will smother and die off.

I use this one, but that Dr. G's looks good!!! Next time im in NJ i have to stock up.

rnproductoysterfeast200.jpg

I have used this also, Dr G's is less copious, although it too is a sludge type of food. it is less dense, you can actually see the eggs.

jedimasterben
You may be right. I would have to say that while phyto may not be free swimming (or it would say so on the live bottles), that live food is far better than dead.

Dr G's phyto page says:

This all-natural, living organism will thrive in your tank until consumed, helping to keep your tank balanced and beautiful.

Dr. G's Live Phytoplankton is alive, fresh and you will see results in 2-4 weeks.

You cannot overfeed, as these are live Phytoplankton, which if not consumed immediately will remain alive in your tank.

Phytoplankton will stay alive for up to 2 months in the refrigerator. Shake the bottle at least once a day to prevent the phytoplankton cells from falling out of suspension and collecting on the bottom, as aggregates at the bottom will smother and die off.

If you have a skimmer, it will remove the phyto much faster than it can be consumed. Skimmer are really good at that, which is exactly why mine is going away. :)

If you have a skimmer, it will remove the phyto much faster than it can be consumed. Skimmer are really good at that, which is exactly why mine is going away. :)

OH thanks for reminding me, i need to turn it back on. i shut it off for the phyto feeds.

Very interesting about the devil clam. Never heard of it! Do Maximas get harder as they get bigger in your tank? As in, if I get a 1" clam, am I gonna want to trade it when it gets 3" or does it not apply when it is growing in your own tank?

Also, my sand bed is about 1"...

Wouldn't any food work as long as it has a nutritional value to the clam and is within the micron range they can filter? What range can they filter?

Sure, they will eat anything that is the right size. Even the smallest of clams can eat 1-50 microns.

Gotcha. I will pick me up a small maxima or crocea, next time I see a healthy one that looks nice. Thanks for the help!

I just deleated everything I wrote by accident!!! I give up!!!!! LOL Im so glad you saw it in time. GOOD LQQKIN!!

Sure, they will eat anything that is the right size. Even the smallest of clams can eat 1-50 microns.

I just deleated everything I wrote by accident!!! I give up!!!!! LOL Im so glad you saw it in time. GOOD LQQKIN!!

I noticed haha.

LOL. Yup...during transpot too. The first burghia members of the mile high club!

Haha, are burghias the ones that eat anemones?

I saw my clam poop for the first time today, must be a good sign! :happy:

Hey Zeph, I'm not getting this one but...would u buy one like this if it wasn't all the way open (like in the pic)?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemD...amp;ddid=170110

Otherwise seems great. Good color, size:1.25", and only $49

No.. Guess why that one is so cheap ? Because it is wild cought. I would much rather pay a little more and get an aquacultured one. In fact I have the very same clam, but aquacultured, i think I paid about $60.

No.. Guess why that one is so cheap ? Because it is wild cought. I would much rather pay a little more and get an aquacultured one. In fact I have the very same clam, but aquacultured, i think I paid about $60.

Oh. Didn't even notice that lol! I'm probably better off ordering online and knowing that it's aquacultured than getting one at my LFS and hoping it is, huh? I mean my lfs is pretty good but...depending on who is working if I ask if a clam is aquacultured I may just get a blank stare and a "sure!"

Also, would u ever buy one that is closed up like that? Is that kinda what pinched mantle looks like? (Please excuse me if that is an incredibly dumb question lol). I know they close and open but if I'm only gonna see one pic before buying it, I think I'd want to see one of it open?

Oh. Didn't even notice that lol! I'm probably better off ordering online and knowing that it's aquacultured than getting one at my LFS and hoping it is, huh? I mean my lfs is pretty good but...depending on who is working if I ask if a clam is aquacultured I may just get a blank stare and a "sure!"

Also, would u ever buy one that is closed up like that? Is that kinda what pinched mantle looks like? (Please excuse me if that is an incredibly dumb question lol). I know they close and open but if I'm only gonna see one pic before buying it, I think I'd want to see one of it open?

There is nothing wrong with that clam, just because it is closed up a little. Thats not Pinched mantle disease. Clams ae not always all the way open all the time. In fact when I see pictures of clams in the wild they are usually more closed than the ones in or aquaqriums. Perhaps they are just not as "hungry" when all of their requirements are perfectly met and dont need to OPEN all the way. In fact when a clam is getting dangerously hungry it will open as much as it can, and when it is starving it will overly open and stretch its "mouth" This is called gaping and is a very bad sign. Pinching is when the mantle is folded over, or pinched in one ore more spots. I see nothing wrong with buying that clam really. Its just there are so many small aquacultured clams available that I believe have a higher survival rate since they have not had to deal with the transition from wild to aquariums.

This is what a clam looks like when it is suffering from Pinched mantle disease.

20120515152523332.jpg

There is nothing wrong with that clam, just because it is closed up a little. Thats not Pinched mantle disease. Clams ae not always all the way open all the time. In fact when I see pictures of clams in the wild they are usually more closed than the ones in or aquaqriums. Perhaps they are just not as "hungry" when all of their requirements are perfectly met and dont need to OPEN all the way. In fact when a clam is getting dangerously hungry it will open as much as it can, and when it is starving it will overly open and stretch its "mouth" This is called gaping and is a very bad sign. Pinching is when the mantle is folded over, or pinched in one ore more spots. I see nothing wrong with buying that clam really. Its just there are so many small aquacultured clams available that I believe have a higher survival rate since they have not had to deal with the transition from wild to aquariums.

This is what a clam looks like when it is suffering from Pinched mantle disease.

20120515152523332.jpg

Thanks Zeph. Now I know!

Archived