Innovative Marine Aquariums

Zephs Zoo Haus !

ZephNYC

Good point. What dyu mean by your text "is it over"? It hasn't even begun. The long island sound is sending water this way, but rain is about to hit big time right about now. When the LIS gets flooded, that is when we expect water to rise really high and high tide to also come in. 5 pm ETA

Yea, I know. Everyone and their grandmothers are calling me to check in and tell me what I should be doing. All Im going to do is MAYBE clean out the drain on my patio, which I know is pretty clogged and rain water MIGHT go down to the basement/fishrooms. But even if it did I have 3 sump pumps dug into the basement floor so I'll probably take a nap instead. Maybe order chinese. LOL

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea, I know. Everyone and their grandmothers are calling me to check in and tell me what I should be doing. All Im going to do is MAYBE clean out the drain on my patio, which I know is pretty clogged and rain water MIGHT go down to the basement/fishrooms. But even if it did I have 3 sump pumps dug into the basement floor so I'll probably take a nap instead. Maybe order chinese. LOL

do you do a swim delivery, i could go for chinese.

Wow, that was a lot of reading. Just went through your whole thread. Normally i just picture surf through the pages but all this fun banter going back and forth kept my attention. lol

Killer setups, i love the variety and all the impeccable husbandry skillz! Stay safe in in all that crazy weather headed your way about now. I hope everyone and there family's make it through ok!

Wow, that was a lot of reading. Just went through your whole thread. Normally i just picture surf through the pages but all this fun banter going back and forth kept my attention. lol

Killer setups, i love the variety and all the impeccable husbandry skillz! Stay safe in in all that crazy weather headed your way about now. I hope everyone and there family's make it through ok!

Hi! and thank you. I cant believe you read the entire thing!!! You guys give me a new interest in my tanks and I have been working on them more lately. Heres the latest FTS on the 125. This is the tank im focused on these days. The entire right side is not scaped yet. Im thinking about the rockwork and how to get it juuuuust right. The left is far from done also. Ok ok....the whole thing s far from done!!!! I have 4 orders from Live aquaria on the way!

ftsz.jpg

dsc0831u.jpg

dsc0838bd.jpg

dsc0811c.jpg

dsc0840ek.jpg

dsc0836qm.jpg

Crocea in QT

croceaqt.jpg

This must be one of the roots of my recent clam obsession! I started keeping up with the thread a few weeks back. Now I have my first Maxima! :)

Btw, your Discus are beautiful. I had a discus tank for close to two years and lost it all due to a bad batch of safe. It would've all been prevented with an RODI unit :(

This must be one of the roots of my recent clam obsession! I started keeping up with the thread a few weeks back. Now I have my first Maxima! :)

Btw, your Discus are beautiful. I had a discus tank for close to two years and lost it all due to a bad batch of safe. It would've all been prevented with an RODI unit :(

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the OBSESSION. If I could not keep clams I think I would dump all my tanks. Except the discus because they actually make me a few $$$$. Sorry to hear you lost yours.

The pictures look great. I'm glad you had power and called to check up on me twice a day. I have yet to see if my LFS is open or if they had/have power. I hate to think of the substantial livestock at risk of death if they had no power like I did. Including our on hold items.

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the OBSESSION. If I could not keep clams I think I would dump all my tanks. Except the discus because they actually make me a few $$$$. Sorry to hear you lost yours.

Obsession for sure I already want more! But right now I'm super nervous about keeping this one alive. There's so much contradictory information online about them and I want to be sure I have the best shot.

Luckily the loss of my Discus really kicked started my interest into reefing so it was a complete circle. I think after Discus most fish seem pretty easy!

Obsession for sure I already want more! But right now I'm super nervous about keeping this one alive. There's so much contradictory information online about them and I want to be sure I have the best shot.

Luckily the loss of my Discus really kicked started my interest into reefing so it was a complete circle. I think after Discus most fish seem pretty easy!

It is too funny you just said that because I just emailed metrokat saying the EXACT same thing. It is SHAMEFULL that correct information is not well known, agreed on, and documented at this day and age and expense. I am learning so much because of all my failures with clams and the more I learn the more I laugh at the advice of vendors.

It is too funny you just said that because I just emailed metrokat saying the EXACT same thing. It is SHAMEFULL that correct information is not well known, agreed on, and documented at this day and age and expense. I am learning so much because of all my failures with clams and the more I learn the more I laugh at the advice of vendors.

You should write a book.....or at least an article.......

The more I read the more confused I end up getting lol. To feed or not to feed? What other inhabitants to be wary off, etc. It seems the one thing that is agreed upon across sources is placement of each species.

I already panicked the first night when my Nassarius snails seemed very interested in the clam and one stuck its trunk in the mantle. I removed them from the tank so fast they didn't know what hit them. The other think that has me concerned is the "don't buy young clams" obviously if that's true I broke the rules haha. What's your take on size vs mortality?

Hi! and thank you. I cant believe you read the entire thing!!! You guys give me a new interest in my tanks and I have been working on them more lately. Heres the latest FTS on the 125. This is the tank im focused on these days. The entire right side is not scaped yet. Im thinking about the rockwork and how to get it juuuuust right. The left is far from done also. Ok ok....the whole thing s far from done!!!! I have 4 orders from Live aquaria on the way!

Looking great Zeph ... and the scape is not bad at all but I know, we always think we can improve on it so I understand that you may want to make some more changes ...

Thank you!!! I just looked back at those shots I put up and all I see is emptyyyyy space. I cant wait to fill them up with sps and of course MORE CLAMS. Here are some new clams in quarantine tonight.

blackzebra2.jpg

purplejp.jpg

blackgolde.jpg

Beautiful clams. I might have to re think my Xmas gift and get one of these.

The more I read the more confused I end up getting lol. To feed or not to feed? What other inhabitants to be wary off, etc. It seems the one thing that is agreed upon across sources is placement of each species.

I already panicked the first night when my Nassarius snails seemed very interested in the clam and one stuck its trunk in the mantle. I removed them from the tank so fast they didn't know what hit them. The other think that has me concerned is the "don't buy young clams" obviously if that's true I broke the rules haha. What's your take on size vs mortality?

I once put a clam in a 125 gallon tank and watched all the nassarius snails rise from the sand like in DAWN OF THE DEAD and RUN to the clam like they could smell it! I have also found them deep inside clams.

..and yes, size DOES MATTER!!! LOL. BUT NOT LIKE WE HAVE BEEN TOLD! We have been having FAR FAR better success with maximas as small is 1.5 inch, and nearly 100% eventual mortality with the big boys over 5 inches. My advice to anyone buying clams these days is purchase the smaller, cheaper aquacultured clams and grow them out yourself. The big secret ( and most contradictory advice ) in keeping the hard to keep ultra maximas seems to be in your nitrates. The all too common zero nitrate sps reefs everyone has is not conducive to keeping big clams.

Looking great! You ever fear that the clowns will get crushed by the giant clam?

THose clowns actually live INSIDE the Gigas clam ( named Big Bertha by Metrokat). They spend a lot of time nestling around it, but at night and when they get scared they will go all the way in.

That's definitely what those darn Nassarius were doing last night! I was convinced but all the information on google pointed to Whelks attacking snails. I got the identified and thought I was safe but it was too close for comfort. If they share a family with Whelks and stick their noses in my clam its bye bye! :lol:

Great now your telling me I have to pollute my reef! lol, I'll work on feeding more and perhaps getting something to supplement in the mean time. Current mission- No nitrates to 1ppm. Seems weird saying that.

That's definitely what those darn Nassarius were doing last night! I was convinced but all the information on google pointed to Whelks attacking snails. I got the identified and thought I was safe but it was too close for comfort. If they share a family with Whelks and stick their noses in my clam its bye bye! :lol:

Great now your telling me I have to pollute my reef! lol, I'll work on feeding more and perhaps getting something to supplement in the mean time. Current mission- No nitrates to 1ppm. Seems weird saying that.

I shoot for 1 ppm on all my tanks containing clams and have noticed the SPS growing faster too. That is still very low. If I was to run a dedicated clam only tank I would keep nitrates at 10ppm!! and they would LOVE IT. I know it feels weird after all we have been told. Exactly why it took me so long to actually try it.

I shoot for 1 ppm on all my tanks containing clams and have noticed the SPS growing faster too. That is still very low. If I was to run a dedicated clam only tank I would keep nitrates at 10ppm!! and they would LOVE IT. I know it feels weird after all we have been told. Exactly why it took me so long to actually try it.

I'll overfeed tonight then and add so Reef Fuel to speed it up and test in the morning. Do you run any GFO? I've heard it can be bad for clams. If you don't mind me asking what are your other tank parameters?

Archived