Pod Your Reef

Zephs Zoo Haus !

ZephNYC

jedimasterben

I have a question that I can't find an answer to.

When a clam reaches its full size, does it stop absorbing caclium and carbonate completely, since it won't be adding to its shell size? Like a crocea clam, reaching 5-6", does it just stop everything but simply surviving?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When a clam reaches its full size, does it stop absorbing caclium and carbonate completely, since it won't be adding to its shell size? Like a crocea clam, reaching 5-6", does it just stop everything but simply surviving?

From a biological stand point I want to say it decreases, but never stops. Even a 90 year old woman needs the correct supplements and minerals to live, including calcium for those bones that haven't grown in years.

From a biological stand point I want to say it decreases, but never stops. Even a 90 year old woman needs the correct supplements and minerals to live, including calcium for those bones that haven't grown in years.

Absolutley. They still need and utilize nutrients to stay alive, just like us old timers.

NIce improvement on the sig line. Clams look perfect !! NICEE!!!

Hey Zeph, what's your thoughts on this teardrop Maxima? These guys are local so I can pick it up with no shipping. I love the color.

http://rarereef.com/index.php?cPath=9

Clam looks great, price is really cheap. I would go for it! Make sure they ship it overnight, RR has had complaints.

jedimasterben
Absolutley. They still need and utilize nutrients to stay alive, just like us old timers.

I get that, the whole staying alive thing (ah, ah, ah, ah, staying aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive) and still filter feeding and farming zooxanthellae, but would they still have such high requirements for cal and alk?

NIce improvement on the sig line. Clams look perfect !! NICEE!!!

Thanks! And that's actually a bad pic of them, I need to take some more.

Clam looks great, price is really cheap. I would go for it! Make sure they ship it overnight, RR has had complaints.

What do you think of the other squammy they have? http://rarereef.com/product_info.php?cPath...products_id=653

What do you think of the other squammy they have? http://rarereef.com/product_info.php?cPath...products_id=653

I think it looks perfect. A litle mislabled, as its not rare at all. JUst a very nice blue rim. I would get it,

I get that, the whole staying alive thing (ah, ah, ah, ah, staying aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive) and still filter feeding and farming zooxanthellae, but would they still have such high requirements for cal and alk?

Perhaps a little less since its not growing anymore. Like old people, they prob just dont absorb like they did in their youth, But they definitely still need it and do absorb. Never read any studies on "old clams"

jedimasterben
I think it looks perfect. A litle mislabled, as its not rare at all. JUst a very nice blue rim. I would get it,

I know it's not 'rare', but it's pretty. I emailed them and asked them how big it is.

Perhaps a little less since its not growing anymore. Like old people, they prob just dont absorb like they did in their youth, But they definitely still need it and do absorb. Never read any studies on "old clams"

Well, I think it's time you did one, mister. Grab a full-sized crocea and hop to it!

At my age, I've seen plenty of 40-50 year old clams. Some of them very sexy, in fact you better have your nitro pills with ya or they will do you in. Not that I have read any studies either, but just my observation. :)

he just bought a 9 inch show size squamosa. Big Berthas gonna be pissy.

i need to be there on the next day, I want to take pictures Zeph.

It should be here Tuesday. Im going to QT it in the seahorse tank. I would say I am SOOO DONE, but we all know whos in town next week.

Dr, MaCLAM!

The one on rare reef tHat he posted ad you commented on.

Ohhhh....Everyone is talking about the RR squamosa, i forgot about the teardrop. Lets see a pic please.

Guess where Im going today ??

MA!

Bought the teardrop. Local pickup.

picity pic pic pic.!

I've only had my one clam and to be honest, "ain't nobody got time" for testing. I just don't test. But I figure with all your experience you could answer this. Why exactly does calcium need to be kept at a specific range? Is it to ensure that it doesn't get depleted too quickly, or does a clam need the water to have a certain saturation (right word?) of calcium along with the accompanying hardness in order to absorb and use it?

Let's say for a random number, a clam uses 5 ppm of calcium a day. If its at 400 on the first of the month and you don't change water or dose until to end of the month, will growth slow down or even stop completely? Would growth continue but be remarkably weaker? Would it use a steady5 ppm's a day every day, or will it taper off as the calcium drops?

Just a little curious, and if you don't know then I obviously don't want you to experiment with the gems you've got.you just can't risk those babies and I know you never would. I think this is along the same thing Jedi was asking a few pages back.

I've only had my one clam and to be honest, "ain't nobody got time" for testing. I just don't test. But I figure with all your experience you could answer this. Why exactly does calcium need to be kept at a specific range? Is it to ensure that it doesn't get depleted too quickly, or does a clam need the water to have a certain saturation (right word?) of calcium along with the accompanying hardness in order to absorb and use it?

Let's say for a random number, a clam uses 5 ppm of calcium a day. If its at 400 on the first of the month and you don't change water or dose until to end of the month, will growth slow down or even stop completely? Would growth continue but be remarkably weaker? Would it use a steady5 ppm's a day every day, or will it taper off as the calcium drops?

Just a little curious, and if you don't know then I obviously don't want you to experiment with the gems you've got.you just can't risk those babies and I know you never would. I think this is along the same thing Jedi was asking a few pages back.

Hey Pat,

Their growth will definitely be reduced if the calcium concentration is low...say around 400ppm or less. Think of people that take vitamins. Just because you take a 200mg pill. not all of that will be absorbed. The problem with older people is they just dont absorb and utilize nutrients like they did when they were younger. There have been many studies in the growth rate of healthy clams utilizing various Ca+ concentrtation, and the conclusion is there is indeed a strong relationship between the two. Simpified, Clams and sps have to combine calcium, strontium, and carbonates ( magnesium to a lesser extent) to build themselves. They do not grow as fast when less calcium is available. They grow painfully slow even when the calcium is very high at 450 - 5000ppm. I feel the 2 most important things a clam collector should test for are Calcium and nitrates. These are what your clam is trying to utilize most. Calcium should be 450ppm, and nitrates ~ 1-2ppm. FYI, clams and sps actually grow nearly TWICE as fast with high strontium concentrations. But the clams grow thin. So thin farmers have been able to poke their finger through these almost see through shells. SPS have not had problems. Sprung actually recommends up to TEN TIMES the natural strontium levels for your SPS domintated tanks.

At my age, I've seen plenty of 40-50 year old clams. Some of them very sexy, in fact you better have your nitro pills with ya or they will do you in. Not that I have read any studies either, but just my observation. :)

Ive met many a GOUGAR that will knock your socks off! LOL

Zeph, found a big Squamosa today! I'd say 20 inches+

photo33-1.jpg

Excuse my nails I hate having the habit but can't kick it...

photo37-1.jpg

WOW. Looks a little stressed though. Prolly had a ruff trip all the way from Vietnam

Zeph, I'd love to see what your clams would do if you ran one of your systems skimmerless.

You sir, are a genius. When I do my dedicated clam tank I will not be skimming 24/7, but in my big system I have so much acro and sensitive stuff I love my skimmer there.

jedimasterben

It really wouldn't take much of a turf scrubber to take care of your big tank - only issue would be if the clams decided to spawn, you'd have a sploogey tank. :lol:

It would be an interesting experiment, that's for sure!

He had a squamosa spawn 2 weeks ago.

Yup..saw it with my own eyes.

Fed ex really dropped the ball today. Un avoidable shipment delay so my 3 clams will be spending the night at the fed ex facitly - two days in transit. I dont even want them anymore, they will be so weak upon arrival. ARGGGGGGGGGGG!

Archived