Top Shelf Aquatics

Zephs Zoo Haus !

ZephNYC

The d-bag was wrong. Its a compact fluorescent. Good thing I only paid $25. Sorry. I havnt even opened the box.

201210192052261321.jpg

You can retrofit some of the LEDs into it, remember the 'big' array I told you about?

####, forgot to sign matt out, this is from Ben lol

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can retrofit some of the LEDs into it, remember the 'big' array I told you about?

####, forgot to sign matt out, this is from Ben lol

I was wondering who this was! I printed it all out and its hanging on my cork board in the fish room. I was just talking with Kat about this tank. It will be up and running very soon, so lighting will be the next project.

jedimasterben
I was wondering who this was! I printed it all out and its hanging on my cork board in the fish room. I was just talking with Kat about this tank. It will be up and running very soon, so lighting will be the next project.

:)

Thanks Ben now I'm getting emails when there is a post on this thread. At first I was like wth I have not posted then I was like damn that's an awesome bunny. If me and my wife did not have a small zoo between us i would so get one.

jedimasterben

got a 5" maxima yesterday, a non-fluorescing one. shes pretty though :)

and i keep seeing hippopus on diver's den and i add them to cart all the time but never go through with it. lol

jedimasterben

Hey Zephy, I was doing a bit of research and read an article from Randy Holmes-Farley, and I came across a bit of information on boron supplements, which I remember being a point from you in a post about alkalinity supplementation. This is the post I could find in my 15 seconds of searching:

My ears were ringing, and I followed the buzz all the way over here !!!

Ok, I said baking soda, as is, is not a good buffer - and I STAND BEHIND THIS.

Bakind soda is like a cheap hooker. Sure it will get the job done in a pinch, but for long term satisfaction, I prefer the top shelf products. B)

Quote from RHF, http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php#5

Boron's importance in marine aquaria is a subject that hobbyists seldom discuss, despite the fact that many of them dose it daily with their alkalinity supplements. Most commentary on boron, in fact, derives from manufacturers who sell it in one fashion or another as a "buffering" agent. These discussions, unfortunately, nearly always lack any quantitative discussion of boron or its effects, both positive and negative. In general, boron is not an important element to control in aquaria. I see no reason to measure or supplement it.

Many commercial buffers intended for marine systems contain borate. In part, that is because at high enough levels, it contributes to a pH buffering effect in aquaria (keeping the pH from rising or falling as much as it otherwise might each day). While I wouldn’t do this, it may be fine for a fish-only aquarium where buffers are not added in the quantities required in reef aquaria.

However, buffers are usually added to coral reef aquaria to replace bicarbonate and carbonate lost to calcification by corals. If aquarists continually supplement with a buffer containing bicarbonate, carbonate and borate, and corals use bicarbonate and carbonate, the borate is left in the water and, after the next dose, it is left again, and again and again. Eventually, borate in the aquarium may climb to toxic levels. That whole concern is just unnecessary; just say no to borate in alkalinity supplements. Baking soda, for example, contains none and is a better choice as an alkalinity supplement for a reef aquarium than a borate-containing buffer.

He's got lots of goodies this week including clams both ornamental and human variety to write about.

Not the type of clam I was talking about.

Hey Zephy, I was doing a bit of research and read an article from Randy Holmes-Farley, and I came across a bit of information on boron supplements, which I remember being a point from you in a post about alkalinity supplementation. This is the post I could find in my 15 seconds of searching:

Quote from RHF, http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php#5

NICE!!! Thank you for that. I never came across any info that borates are potentially dangerous, but it had crossed my mind. I have to check the ingredients in certain products that I use. I use different buffers for different systems, For example, in the main reef I use Seachem reef buffer, which has borates and raises ph..etc. But in my clam QT tank, I use Seachem Reef BUILDER, which does not raise PH at all and Im wondering if it has borates. Perhaps this is one of the reasons my clams do better in the QT tank.

Good work Master Ben!

Of the new clam?

I promise new FTS shots tonight!!! Its perfect out and they CLOSED MY GYM TODAY!!! - So I have nothing to do !!! Many new clams to post about.

jedimasterben
NICE!!! Thank you for that. I never came across any info that borates are potentially dangerous, but it had crossed my mind. I have to check the ingredients in certain products that I use. I use different buffers for different systems, For example, in the main reef I use Seachem reef buffer, which has borates and raises ph..etc. But in my clam QT tank, I use Seachem Reef BUILDER, which does not raise PH at all and Im wondering if it has borates. Perhaps this is one of the reasons my clams do better in the QT tank.

Good work Master Ben!

Just thought I'd let you know. So much for baking soda being a cheap hooker! :lol:

:lol: I'll hold a bag of coral in my mouth and swim right ovah.

Just tie it to your toe, its much easier !

And Zeph, you should totally hook me up with some red planet in the future.

You got it ! I have two large colonies beggin for fraggin !!!!

jedimasterben
You got it ! I have two large colonies beggin for fraggin !!!!

Sahweet! One LFS I go to had a colony that was about 16" across. it was pretty awesome.

Just tie it to your toe, its much easier !

Good point. What dyu mean by your text "is it over"? It hasn't even begun. The long island sound is sending water this way, but rain is about to hit big time right about now. When the LIS gets flooded, that is when we expect water to rise really high and high tide to also come in. 5 pm ETA

Archived