Innovative Marine Aquariums

Smallest external protien skimmer you have seen?

CodeToad

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DRZL-sauras

I JUST READ ALL 6 PAGES OF YOUR SKIMMER...and i love how this wont overskim but still keep everybody happy in the tank....im just unclear on the pipe fittings what size and what they are and where to get them....i want the one u RADAR use....please help me out on that note..thnx

Undertheradar

The only PVC I use is 1/2" CPVC. A piece about 2.5" long to run through the skimmer and drill holes into for the injector, an elbow (and whatever you need to attach the pump to it), and a cap to hold it in place. Thats it. The water just overflows back to the tank.

Originally posted by Undertheradar

for the current one? I would make the new dimensions 14"h, 1"deep, 2.5" wide. It's an extra inch on the collection cup, so the foam doesnt spit out the top...and an extra two on the bottom half so less microbubbles make it back into the tank.

Did any of the dimentions change on the interier pieces when you went to 14" tall?

Undertheradar

Well, while it really just gains the top an extra inch of riser space, the bottom would have it's baffles extended a bit

Undertheradar

So I suppose the only part that gets larger inside is the dark green divider that gets an extra 2" (besides all the outside pieces getting an extra 3" overall)

Since the whole "bubble overflow" incident, I have dealt with it without having to make a taller one. I made a cover that fits securely on the top of the skimmer and forces the foam out the collection tube...and I put a circular filter foam piece on the output to cut out the microbubbles.

Undertheradar

Well, thats what I did since other than the foam spitting out the top and the bubbles coming out...it works great! So rather than junk it, I made a cover and dealt with the bubbles. I have made many versions anyways, including a 14" tall one.

I made this with wetworx's design, and... what the heck... it aint work. Bubble in the injection chamber is decreasing in a few min, and nozzle went down completly into the water. I think there's something wrong with mine. I guess there's something to do with nozzle size, and the length of injection chamber. Any answers?

Radar, what mods would you advise for an in sump unit of your design? I am setting up a 10g sump/fuge for my 10g display. It seems that leaving the bottom capped would create the pressure needed to push the skimmate out the collection tube which is good.

Sorry for crappy pic.

When you see the pic, you can see 1. Bubbles are too coarse. 2. the injection bar is almost submurged. I think thats why I am not getting fine bubbles as it supposed to produce. Also, some bubbles go under the baffle, go through outflow, get in to tank.

The thing is... mine produces bubble when it starts, then water level in injection chamber goes up as time goes by, make injector submerged, then it makes less and less bubbles.

I guess this has something to do with nozzle size, water flow and the size of injection chamber.

I think my tank does not have a lot to skim tho... since there's no bioload rather than a few snails. (Heck... its been running like that without any coral or fish for 3 monthes) So, I would'nt mind not getting form at this point of time.

My main concern is how to correct this coarce buble and bubble goes under the baffle probem.

Undertheradar

I use a 90gph pump on mine (Aquaclear Hi-Spec 1000), and the injector consists of three 1/8"ish holes in a row. The outlet height is approx 1" below that of the injection chamber. Using larger pumps, or larger holes, may require the outlet height to be lowered to compensate for the higher flow. The Outlet hole is just over 1/4". Making this bigger might help as well. It looks like you just need to lower your overflow a bit and you should be fine. Either that or your pump needs downsizing...

edit: beyond that, everything looks great!

Undertheradar,i just put this skimmer on my tank last night and i'm running it with a rio 180.All i can say is HOLY CRAP! this thing kicks arse.I made the jet holes(3) 5/64 and with the rio i get bubbles about 3/4 of the way down the skimmer.I'm getting some nice green skimmate,my nano never produced much i run barebottom.This is the design i built.THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Archived