ReefCleaners.org

Smallest external protien skimmer you have seen?

CodeToad

Undertheradar

I would say that the main concern is not how much, but what kind. You should try to get a skimmate that looks like something between a tea color (wetter skimmate) and coffee (dry skimmate). If you are getting rather clear, watery skimmate then you should lower your water level. If you are getting none...you could try raising your water level, but it might just be that you dont have enough in your tank to skim. FWIW, even on my wettest skimming models that I have made, I still get only half a cup for an entire week usually because the tank I have it on also has a refugium and only a few critters in it. In this case, you might just consider leaving the skimmer off all day, or only run it for a couple days of the week. Also, I have noticed that skimming changes throughout the day. I can get none all day, but as soon as the main lights go out and the refugium lights come on...my skimmer goes crazy.

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UTR,

It sounds like my skimmer is working correctly. I get 5 to 8 ml of dark green water every 18 - 24 hours.

I have also noticed the skimmer goes through times where it is pulling a lot or pulling nothing. It also seems be very sensitive to changes in the water. If I touch the water or part of the skimmer with my hands then it will pull nothing for hours. (Surface tension? Oil?)

Havent been around in a while.

This thread is freakin huge.

Thanks radar for sharing the best nano skimmer design out there.

Mine has been working for about 8 months without fault.

I built it to the dementions on p 14? and it has worked perfect ever since I plugged it in.

Found out a few things though. Without any fish, two days every two weeks is plenty(I have a 10g display W/ 10g sump). Also any water chemistry change will cause it to not foam. I try to have all my maintenence and feeding dona at least a day before I turn on the skimmer and dont do anything to the tank for 2 days.

wegoossens

Undertheradar, I have been looking at your designs. You stated in the thread that it may be able to fit into the back of a nano. Does this still hold true?

wegoossens

Undertheradar, I have been looking at your designs. You stated in the thread that it may be able to fit into the back of a nano. Does this still hold true?

Undertheradar

yes, although I am not working on this. Someone else did make one that fit into the back of their nano-cube.

blfuller123

I just finished reading all 45 pages of this post and built one of these skimmers. I havent had a chance to test it yet, but this is going to be perfect for my setup. I am putting together my first small tank and this solved one of my problems. I am setting up a 20 gallon and my sump takes up all of the room in my stand. With this skimmer, it fits into the sump so it is hidden. I will post some pictures when I do get this up and running. Thanks for sharing your info.

blfuller123

I just finished reading all 45 pages of this post and built one of these skimmers. I havent had a chance to test it yet, but this is going to be perfect for my setup. I am putting together my first small tank and this solved one of my problems. I am setting up a 20 gallon and my sump takes up all of the room in my stand. With this skimmer, it fits into the sump so it is hidden. I will post some pictures when I do get this up and running. Thanks for sharing your info.

• 4 weeks later...

Great job UTR!!!

How it's with cleaning this nano-skimmer?

The reaction chamber is unaccesible - is it a problem/how are you dealing with this?

greetings from Poland to all nano-reef.com users

thanks for the great design UTR!

my skimmer (spray bar design) runs great for a while. the bubble collection area is full of foam (tightly closed lid). then the output gets clogged with some bubbles and the system essentially gets blocked. the water level in the bubble area drops to the bottom of the baffle and the water level in the injector area rises. this goes on until the whatever bit of foam that clogs the output is discharged, sometimes taking over an hour. end result being, i get more foam in my skimmate than fluid. any advice on fixing this problem?

Undertheradar

In the new thread I talk about the problem where bubbles can accumulate under the bubble baffle and be so bad it floods the skimmer...is that what you mean?

• 5 months later...

now I know this has been dead for awhile now, but seeing that most of the pics havnt been showing up prolly due to the removal of them, could you Undertheradar please post the final injection skimmer diagram for me. I've read all 45 pages here and it's just not the same to understand w/o pics. Thanks.

neanderthalman

This thread was continued in a thread called "wetworx nano skimmers". There might be some pics in there still - I know UTR just posted a preliminary pic of a new recirculating design.

• 1 year later...
robcampman

i designed a skimmer for my nano with sketchup, it should fit right between the baffles of my back-wall-sump. Under the skimmer a powerhead with venturi will be installed sucking water from underneath the right baffle. Water travels through the skimmer and flushes into the chamber with the return pump through the adjustable output at the top.

SKIMMERMINI1.jpg

Some concerns are:

-adjusting waterheight

-too much clear skimmate

-cleaning the insides.

i might make a real collectioncup, because then cleaning won't be a problem.

this is the tank it will fit into:

DSCN3372Medium.jpg

Having the outlet that high and not effected by backpressure can work to your advantage. You can gate valve it which would eliminate the water level requirement plus make it adjustable for wet/dry foam.

Archived