ReefCleaners.org

Smallest external protien skimmer you have seen?

CodeToad

Undertheradar

A 40g would require a larger version at least. The point of this skimmer was to pack the most punch in a small form factor (1"x 2.5"). I dont think I will be making any for a bit...I am very busy. Currently working with Paul on an actuator-mount oceansmotions valve unit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Umm just a quick question - I was thinking about building one of these skimmers but now I see you are going to do plans for a newer version I will wait.

Can I just ask - what diameter tubing do you use to attach the CPVC to the powerhead? It's just on the powerhead's I have seen, the aperture is really quite small - nowhere near an inch wide or whatever the CPVC is.

Thanks!

Undertheradar

I know I have it listed here...but here it goes again...1/2"ID-5/8"OD clear flexible hose. It stretches just enough to fit on 1/2" CPVC which is 5/8" OD.

Be glad that you are waiting. This skimmer is having some major design changes because the reverse venturi / asperating skimmer setup is making so many bubbles that the bubble baffle accumulates too many bubbles under it until they combine into a large bubble that wants to go up, blocking the downward flow of water, causing the water level to rise in the skimmer until it floods. Yes, too many bubbles has meant I end up mopping up the floor these days. I am working on it. I will post results when I am done again.

I have everything ready to go, new diy tank with a slot just for this. Do you think it will get much bigger with the latest overhaul?

My own little adjustment to this design. I cut the front and sides out of black plex to mach my false wall and the back clear. Going so slow to achieve the cleanest looking tank possible.

Undertheradar

Well, I dont know yet for sure. First I will make the injection area run deeper and then angle it so it faces upward on its outlet so less bubbles go through the baffle. If that doesnt work, then I might just make the skimmer taller.

UTR,

I made your skimmer with the larger measurements you gave in one post. I made it about 18" x 3" x 2" ("about" since the skimmer is in metric ;) )

I'm trying it out on a Maxijet 1000, but that thing is a beast for this skimmer, I had to restrict the flow way down to get the water level balanced. Anyway, I was just wondering if you could recommend a pump for my larger skimmer. I was thinking maybe going with the New-Jet 800, it does 300 - 800 l.p.h. Would that be too powerful? Will be ordering from Seame.com, they do have smaller capacity New-Jets too and of course the Minijets.

Thanks a lot for this project, it was great fun. Just put my skimmer to work tonight, hope it'll start skimming soon. :)

i made a slightly larger version that the one you made. Just made it thicker and a little taller. I first made the injector one. then i saw u made it into a venturi style. so i changed it to that also. Much more foam and micro bubbles in the skimmer, I like it way more than the injector. Just one issue, there are sooooooo many micro bubbles that its actually coming out of the output so I have a bunch of micro bubbles swarming in the sump, thus being pushed into the main tank through the return pump. Is there wa way that I can reduce the amount of bubble. If i turn down the airline valve, not enough bubbles. but I get none in the sump. I cant seem to find a good equilibrium that gives maximum bubbles in the chamber, but no bubbles in the sump. any ideas?

Wow, its 4am and I just spend the last 2 hours reading this whole thread.

Now I know pretty much nothing about skimmers(except they take out gunk) and what I learned about in this thread.

So I have a question. I have a tank that is 10" high and is going to be used as a coffee table. Here are a few pictures of what I have so far so you can understand what I am about to say. O)

DSC03029.jpg

DSC03020.jpg

There will be a glass top that will sit on top of the tank. So my main problem with any skimmer at all is trying to keep everything attractive looking and finding a skimmer small enough to go *inside* my tank. That means the skimmer cant be any taller then 10" high.

My first question would be is there anyway that I can get the entire skimmer to sit *inside* my tank and have the entire skimmer *under* the glass top?

Here is a picture of what I mean.

skimmerintank.jpg

Those things are the biggest PITA. Do you have access to the floor underneath? I'd try and setup a sump on it.

You won't get this skimmer down to 10" and still have it be useful. There isn't enough reaction space as it is with the venturi style.

Originally posted by sellout007

So I have a question. I have a tank that is 10" high and is going to be used as a coffee table. Here are a few pictures of what I have so far so you can understand what I am about to say. O)

There will be a glass top that will sit on top of the tank. So my main problem with any skimmer at all is trying to keep everything attractive looking and finding a skimmer small enough to go *inside* my tank. That means the skimmer cant be any taller then 10" high.  

My first question would be is there anyway that I can get the entire skimmer to sit *inside* my tank and have the entire skimmer *under* the glass top?

Here is a picture of what I mean.

I think your concern should be how it is going to look having that power compact sitting on the middle of your coffee table. What were you planning on doing as far as lighting the tank once you put the coffee table glass on there? I've always thought the coffee table tank idea was nice, but never thought it would be feasible for a reef tank because of problems with lighting the tank.

Ben

A skimmer in tank doesnt make the tank look all that pretty too. I used to have a small lee's skimmer in my tank and it was an eye sore everything i looked into the tank.

I agree with NCNBilly and think that if you have room underneath the floor, set up a sump.

For lighting u should get a 2 x 400w pendent and hang it from the ceiling. So now its like extra light in the room the table is. The reason to get 400w is probably because you dont want the light to be so close to top of the table. With the higher wattage u could place the light higher up.

Originally posted by soju

For lighting u should get a 2 x 400w pendent and hang it from the ceiling.  So now its like extra light in the room the table is.  The reason to get 400w is probably because you dont want the light to be so close to top of the table.  With the higher wattage u could place the light higher up.

Yeah and all of your visitors can get a nice sun-tan when they prop their feet up on the coffee table.

:)

Ben

NCNBilly, how long have you had your SCWD? I've had one on a closed loop with a mag 5 in my 46 gallon for almost 2 years now. Mine has worked beautifully with no variance in cycle times since I've had it. I've heard of people having problems longer term with them, hopefully mine will keep on switching for years to come.

Ben

Lets not get off track here guys, dont want to hijak this thread. I live in a condo, no access beneath the floor and no hanging anything. I am already tackaling the lighting issue and am going to use a 70w MH retrofit.

My problem is the skimmer right now. Not going with a sump, only going to go with a skimmer if anything at all. It will either need to go in the tank or sit next to it. Was hoping I could get it inside.

Also there is another thread where someone made one that is 10" and another guy in this thread made one half the size of the older model of this skimmer. If I need to use the older model that is fine by me, I dont mind.

My question is, is it possible to fit it inside the tank. As in waterline issues and what not.

Undertheradar

Whoah! 2x400 over a tank thats what...20some gallons? It is a cool idea however. Just make a pendant hang over the tank so it acts as the tanks light as well as a light for the table. I think even if it were above the table a couple feet, a single 250watt would be fine. As for the skimmer, not gonna work. I doubt any skimmer would work on that unless you did plumb a sump in....which doesnt seem likely. I love the tank, have made some like that to go with my cube, but I put them on pedistal stands so I can plumb in a sump in an adjoining cabinet/under the tank. The problem I see isnt so much the shrinking the skimmer part...you can make it a little bit wider and shorter...but you still need about 4" above the water for the foam to collect...meaning you would have to drop your water level...not likely. The problem in this case is the 'head clearance'. I thnk with a little trickery you could rig up a remote sump however. How about this. You could use two 1/2" hoses...one a syphon, and the other a return line being fed with a small pump...like 50gph tops...jsut enough to make for some circulation between the tank and 'sump'. The sump could be another tank in a cabinet somewhere, set so that the water level would equal the main tanks. This remote tank would contain your skimmer, maybe eveh heater, and all your 'filtration'. All you have to do is hide two 1/2" flexible hoses. If you want to continue this however, I would ask you to start your own thread like 'how can i fit a skimmer on this', and we can talk about it over there. I can tell you that this skimmer wont work.

Undertheradar

soju,

just let er rip...so what if you get some microbubbles in the sump? Thats what its there for. I wanna see pics man...looks cool. Did you use injection or asperating? I am interested in how you modified it...as Im sure others would like to hear as well.

Sorry I didnt mean to clog your thread with the issues of my tank. I am just simply trying to adapt this skimmer to fit in my tank. I was thinking with a little inginuity it could be done.

I figured all the head clearance could be eliminated to the sides so to speak with some sort of overflow to the sides of the top. *shrug*

Ill make another thread no doubt! As you can see I tried to get everyone to stay on topic. I would really appreciate it if you could stop by and give me some input if you have any free time. If you notice that was my first post here at nano-reefs. I signed up simply because of this thread o)

Again I dont know much on how these things work, but I tried to keep the idea the same. Might have missed completely but could this work?

modifiedskimmer.jpg

Like you said that my main problem is head clearance. I dont mind hanging it on the outside of the tank, as long as it fits under neath the glass top.

If anyone wants to help me here is my own thread. I will appreciate ALL help on this as I am in complete darkness with skimmers.

Am I missing something or on page 13, the final diagram for the origonal, in the listed parts list arent two pieces mising?

1pc - 1 x 1.5

2pc - 1 x 14

1pc - 1 x 10

1pc - 1 x 4 - 5.5

1pc - 1.25 x 2.5

1pc - 1 x 2

Thats 7 pices, but what about the other two? The two sides that make up the depth of the skimmer?

Originally posted by sellout007

Am I missing something or on page 13, the final diagram for the origonal, in the listed parts list arent two pieces mising?  

1pc - 1 x 1.5

2pc - 1 x 14

1pc - 1 x 10

1pc - 1 x 4 - 5.5

1pc - 1.25 x 2.5

1pc - 1 x 2

Thats 7 pices, but what about the other two? The two sides that make up the depth of the skimmer?

The face and back of the skimmer, 2pc 2.5 x 14

Archived