Pod Your Reef

Smallest external protien skimmer you have seen?

CodeToad

BTW, can I have a nozzle/return- such as maybe a ball-socket assembly attached to the outlet, or would there be to much back pressure causing the skimmer to function improperly?

And about the air inlet- can it be left out in the venturi style?

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Lingwendil

And about the air inlet- can it be left out in the venturi style?

yes but if you knowtice to much pressure in the intake area a air inlet won't hurt

Originally posted by GotSalt?

where can i buy acyrilic

If you have a Tap Plastic in your area go there and have them cut out the measurements. If you dont have a Tap Plastic in your area do a search on the net for a plastic place in your area. I bought enough for 2 skimmers. Thats just in case if I mess one up i dont have to drive all the way back to buy more. But now I have 2 runnin on my 29 gal bow front with the Via Aqua 480 powerhead. They both work perfectly now and my tank is alot happier with them.

ok do you think my skimmer will need a breakin period cuz it has been on for about 20 min and there is so far nothing. one other thing is that where my patter is comming through well that hole was supposed to be 1/4 in well mine turned out to be just under 3/4 in. but i made my skimmer 3 in wide

Undertheradar

yes, but there have been a few revisions since...the increased bubble count has required more height (An 18" tall version of the current one is what I came up with and that was just too much). So I increased the baffles (extended the injection area downward 6" and then used a "U" piece at the bottom to deflect the bubbles upward), but this decreased the bubble contact time...less skimming. FWIW, now I have a 16" tall version running in my 10g sump a la euroreef style. Call it the "micro-euro"...but its an in sump version...not what everyone is looking for (even though it is tiny). I will post all the plans, and even stages I went through after I "get all the kinks out".

Undertheradar

sorry I have been a bit, but I this project has taken a turn as I am currently moving my 10gallon into a 30gallon breeder. In that process I have been making mini in-sump versions of these skimmers that kick @$$ with the asperating configuration. Still havent come up with any final designs other than the original injection one and the new in-sump euro one w/ a 90gph pump.

I even made a larger one based off of a RIO 600 (with the inlets like the CPR BAK PAK) Wow, that little pump makes bubbles. I figured that the pump is rated at 200gph...2x what these little skimmers can handle. So I made the skimmer 20" tall, 1.5" deep, and 5" wide. No where near enough. I am cycling the LR and its already pulled out over a cup of skimmate in just 8 hours...but the thing makes so many freakin' bubbles that the outlet is pouring froth into my sump (a 20g) and causing skimmate to build up all around the water-line. I will take pics and post later when I get a chance. Its a trip. Over the next few days I will have to make a skimmer that is more like 2" deep, 5" wide, and maybe taller than 20"...like 24"?

UTR

Keep us posted. I am starting a 37gal and was going to just use 2 of the small skimmers but id you are working on a bigger model I will wait.

I have read through most the posts and have seen some people interested in building a skimmer that fits under the hood of a nano cube. Has anyone been successful with that height limitation? If so I would like to see any drawings or pictures that may have been done. Thanks

Archived