inTank Media Baskets

Smallest external protien skimmer you have seen?

CodeToad

Originally posted by Undertheradar

lol, a "smaller", finalized thread is in the worx.  the clear blue...I like that idea with the kalk drip...very feasible.

Spitfire...yes, it goes down into the sump.  I dont mean for this to sound rude, but I do want to get an idea of... where did you think it went?

LOL I now realize how dumb of a question that was. . . you have to understand that I am just now getting into fuges and diy skimmers and such, and learning how they work. You say a smaller version is in the works. . . do you plan on releasing the blue prints, or selling them?

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh! I also wanted to know, if you didnt have a sump, and just wanted a hob skimmer, could you just run the exhaust back up to the tank? is the pump cabable of that, or would it make a mess?

Undertheradar

Well, to furthur confuse you, the skimmer in the pics is a HOB style...I simply happen to have it on my sump/fuge rather than my main tank.

Wow, lots of micro bubbles with this mod. I'm having touble keeping the air line open while pushed in the impeller housing. I was thinking of drilling the coupler that came with the pump so I could put the tube in there.

Got some playing around to do tonight..

Undertheradar

sprite,

you could just leave the bottom off, but then you are at the mercy of the water level in your sump to determine the level in the skimmer which needs to be kept constant. I would still use the overflow style, just place the skimmer so it is in the sump and overflows into the sump...this will keep your water level constant.

aumontmatthew

Has anyone had any luck building this skimmer and fitting it inside the new nanocube 12g dx? I would like to build one but with little to no modifications to the cube? Do I really need a skimmer?

Thanks

aumontmatthew

from what Ive heard, with a nano tank, as long as you make frequent water changes, I dont think you really need a protein skimmer. it is extremely beneficial, but not completely necessary IMO, but better equiptment ALWAYS goes a long way in overall tank quality.

HOLY CR/)P! The new design kicks butt! I decreased the length of flex tube to get the pump closed to the surface and I have white foam galore. I never got this much out before, I made more in one night than I did in a week, and it's almost like coffee!

Another happy customer!

Still looks a but wet Sprite. You might wanna drop the water level a bit more to dry the foam out. The top of my reaction chamber looks like chewing tobacco.

i want it some what wet... i run bb and have a floatswitch hooked so it willl replace with fresh salt water..... kinda like an automatic mini water changes if you will

Any updates on the new design? I was thinkin about building one, but this new mod has me wanting to hold off a bit till we hear a bit more.... I've read all 38 pages (wow!) and I must say I'm impressed.... I wana build one and I don't even have my tank set up yet :-P Yeah, I'm sick like that!

Also, this may be more of a general skimmer question, but does the location of the pump in the tank affect how much the skimmer pulls out? Anybody noticed any difference between up near the surface, or at the bottom? Or near the heater? does the slightly warmer water affect the protien adhesion to the bubbles? Just wondering, so I can figure in the placement of my pump when I get the tank all set up! I love DIY projects! Headed to Tap plastics in the mornin to pick up some weldon and stuffs! Who knows, mabey I'll even like working with acrylic. Wish me luck.

The new design is great. I'm getting tons more skimmate and it's dark and nasty. The beauty of this design is the ability to tweak it. You may find that you gett better results with the injection style, just build one and see. This project was way more intimidating before I actually built it and found how easy it was...

So the body of the skimmer stays exactly as shown on page 13, the only thing that changes is the "injector" correct? I know that there was talk of changing the baffels for some reason...???

UTR, could I place the skimmer's outflow on the side of the skimmer, rather than on the face? I'm building a 12"x6"x4" HOB fuge for my 2.5G, and would like to have the return flow directly into the tank. (the skimmer will be flat against the left inside wall)

Undertheradar

Xytrix01,

Same baffles as before.

Lingwendil,

the side that the overflow is on is up to you. I have seen those who make this skimmer put that port on the 1" side. Its your choice...in my case its so I can mount it HOB style. If I was hanging it in a sump, tank, or fuge, I would cange it as well.

Hey UTR, sorry but heres some more questions. When cutting parts for the venturi skimmer, is the air inlet still required? I know you said you plugged yours, but I assume that I can just leave it out now. Do you have a website with pics of your various projects?

Archived