Coral Vue Hydros

Smallest external protien skimmer you have seen?

CodeToad

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I Just leak tested tested mine in a buckett of fresh water. I did the venturi manifold and holy $%#@ that thing puts out some bubbles, But like said before, too mant micro bubbles making there way to the tank. I'm no diy'er, but just from looking at the way the bubbles are flowing, it seems that if you just made this thing longer it would work.I'm gonna make the injection manifold since I don't have a sump with baffles to help hith the bubbles. I just cant find my 1/8" bit. Think I can go with 3/16" holes? It's the smallest bit I have right now. However, when I do get my sump going or a new venturi design is done, that's the way to go.

taekwondodo

For a few bucks at home depot will get you a smaller bit. I went to 5/32", as the larger holes just created way too many bubbles....

- Jeff

Do you think making the skimmer alittle wider and adding an other baffle before the return like in a sump or fuge might take care of bubble issues

taekwondodo

Makinig it wider... yes. Putting in the green and purple lines are going to create a space for air to trap and not be able to escape though.

Try drilling another hole in the injector... here's my reasoning - more holes = more surface area for the pressure behind the injector to be divided against - theby reducing the overall push downwards. It may increase the flow though.

If when you got your CPVC they made you buy a 10' piece like I had to, you should have a LOT left over to experiment with.

Oh - one more thing. Try adding salt into the bucket that you're trying this out on and tune it there - there is a world of difference between how it behaves with fresh and salt.

- Jeff

Undertheradar

not one bit. Why? For the vary reason why I took out the other diagonal bubble baffle. One of two things will happen. One, the bubbles will prolly travel too fast through the channels and never actually get removed. Two, if the bubbles were to settle out they would form an air pocket at the top of that first chamber just to the right of the injector...eventually gaining enough size to block the flow through the overflow...making the skimmer overflow. Exact same reasons as why I eliminated the diagonal baffle.

The two things you could do if you are still concerned about bubbles are to make it taller, something like 16", and let gravity help sort the bubbles in the main chamber, or make a bubble trap box under the output with a small sponge in it like a remora or bak pak bubble trap.

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna go taller, cause I like the bubbles from the venturi manifold. I just don't want them in mty main display.

On page 21 UTR explains how to make one for a larger tank. He suggests useing 1/4" plexi instead of 1/8". Anyone see a problem going with 1/8?

On page 21 UTR explains how to make one for a larger tank. He suggests useing 1/4" plexi instead of 1/8". Anyone see a problem going with 1/8?

Undertheradar

this thread would only be 10 pages if doody would quit triple posting everything...LOL. Next week Ill show everything. Just took my last exam an hour ago. Prolly going to break up the skimmers into 3 threads for 3 types (injection HOB, asperating HOB, and asperating in-sump). I made a larger version with 1/8"...20" tall, 1.5" deep, 4" wide out of 1/8" but its in-sump. I would get concerned if it were HOB however. It might handle the weight, but I would question its long-term durability. 1/4" cast would be the best bet for HOB.

Sorry, I was haveing browser probs.

I'm almost done with a larger one out of 1/8" plexi. Are you conserned that the weight might burst this thing open or that the way it hangs might not hold? I think I'll make some sort of bracket that will support it starting at the bottom of the unit. Cant wait to see the seperate threads.This one is a mess.

Undertheradar

Im not concerned with 1/8" plexi being able to hold itself...but the seams worry me. Thats not alot of contact area for the weldon to make as seam that is strong enough to hold the water's weight & pressure.

Is anyone selling these things yet? C'mon!! I'm as Un-handy as they come, but I've got cash!!!

Sorry, I just read the whole DANG thread and understand why UTR isn't selling these. If someone has an extra one lying around I have things to trade. pm me

phergus_25

I'd love one for in-sump use if someone would make one. But i can buy the new coralife skimmer for 100 so i dont know waht would be better.

I made one about 6 months ago and screwed up one of the baffles. If anyone has an extra or willing to build another for me send me a PM.

Wow, I can't believe this thread is still going strong. Classic. I even read some one building one for the reefs.org nano build off. My number 2 UTR skimmer is still working after 6 months since I first posted on page 31

Observations:

-depending on water conditions, my skimmer took a while to break in and finally show brown thick skimmate similiar to my Remora.

-scum builds on the output over time and is hard to clean, but the best thing is q-tips or a thin take-out chopstick with cotton

-If I did it again, I would dispense with a drain or make the drain hole bigger as the skimmate dries so thick I can wipe it off with a q-tip.

-Also using black acrylic would have reduced the algae I have growing in it.

-adding an extra baffle after the injection section doesn't do anything to condense bubbles.

Originally posted by huari

-Also using black acrylic would have reduced the algae I have growing in it.

-adding an extra baffle after the injection section doesn't do anything to condense bubbles.

clear is almost essential as you need to see the bubbles when you 1st build. So, you can tune this baby.

Are you talking bout the bottom baffle thats at the 45degree angle?

Originally posted by Polareef

How much skimate should this thing pull out of a 10 gallon every 24 hours if it is tuned correctly?

That'll depend on your load and system. Everyones will pull a different amount.

Archived