Innovative Marine Aquariums

Smallest external protien skimmer you have seen?

CodeToad

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Undertheradar

i would let it sit for a day or two. The acrylic tends to disrupt the surface tension that the water needs to foam well. After a while the surface inside the skimmer gets coated with an organic film...like everything else in the aquarium, and it runs fine. Many skimmers have this 'breaking in period', but after that, it should run fine, producing skimmate within hours of hooking it up.

I'd love to take a crack at building one of these babies, but I have no room left on my back of my tank for one.

Hey Reefer_Buddha, do you think it would OK to hang a skimmer like this on the back of one of your fuges? That's the only spot on my tank with space left, that just might work.

Undertheradar

if you look back a bit you'll see that I had intended this skimmer to be mounted inside a fuge...skinny enough to be mounted in a fuge only 4" wide and not impede the flow. You could do this and not have to worry about space as much...

Undertheradar

Sorry to upset you all who may have built one of these micro skimmers that I designed, but as of today, WE HAVE A WINNER. The new design is 2.5"wide, 1"deep, and 11"tall (but will prolly end up being a few inches taller since the amount of fine bubbles this thing makes is insane and my baffles arent doing enough!)

Undertheradar

I would love to have a skim off, but we would have to have a side by side to do it. Otherwise I could go over to my buddies house with the tank o' never ending skimmate, hook up the skimmer for a few hours, pull out a gallon, and call it a day...where you could be stuck with a different nano-tank where you are overfeeding everything just to get more skimmate. The skimmers would have to be run on the same tank. Considering the pump capacities as well....I doubt we could have an accurate 'skim-off'. You would have to run yours off of a 90gph pump...would yours even work that small?

Oh, BTW, when making the design taller, I would give some of the space to the area in the foam riser area so that the skimmate doesnt come flying out the top like it does now...instead of 1" above the spill baffle for the foam...maybe 2"....I had a chunk of foam spit right out of the top and fly back into the tank!!

Reefer_Buddha

it was a joke dude dont get all serious on me :P. Thats cool man im glad youve perfected your design. I have skimmate comin out the top too, annoying. Let me know if you ever find a patent loophole also. I dont wana really build and sell these but it would be cool to see your super small one out there. Maybe you could incorporate it into a fuge.

Radar, do you think with a 200GPH pump the new and improved skimmer would work for more gallons, say 40?

You inspired me to sell my bakpak and make my "radar" skimmer. but i do not have a nano-reef(1-20g) i have a mini-reef(29-40) and need more power from you skimmer.

Do i need to...

make it taller?

more GPH?

make it wider and deeper(the 3rd D)?

i am going to modify your radar skimmer to be a permant fixture in a 10G sump for my 29G reef.

PATENT your idea and sell it! too bad you kind-of stole the injector spraybar idea. but try to.

Archived