inTank Media Baskets

Smallest external protien skimmer you have seen?

CodeToad

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks great guys I had a question, would putting a air pump on the air input and creating some posivitve air pressure increase the bubbles.

Smaug

Undertheradar

no, as the amount of bubbles depends more on the impact of the water jet on the water surface. More air wouldnt change this.

Reefer_Buddha

i found the perfect nozzle and connection for this skimmer. Ill try to get a good shot of it with my POS digital camera. Its right at 2" and has nozzle with 2 connections. Only thing youd have to do its heat up the output nozzle and make it a little bit smaller.

Reefer_Buddha

the nozzle piece is in the middle. As you can see, its threaded on one end (great for the back of the skimmer) and has a threaded input on the other side (good for injector side). I also showed the pieces that go with it well, a 90 degree threaded elbow and a threaded cap. The nozzle itself i found in the irrigation section of Yardbirds. Should work out great for a 2-3" skimmer.

Ok i cruise the site here...but im a FW guy. I have a 55 gal with a Juv. Oscar a moray, and a buncha other cichlids. Well i made your skimmer, changed the design a little (I had a skimmer before and i tend to get foam thats thinner so i changed this to help by adding an additional "skimmer cup" and a wall to help the foam rise) I did the best i could to change your drawing to show what i did because i dont have a webcam...but i works great! I get heavy thicker foam and it rises easy I have a lid on it too or it tends to overflow a little heres how i did mine

also the 1 1/8th measurement from the pink to the green is off because i moved it a little

f8790277.jpg

Reefer_Buddha

nice, i have a design similar to this im gona test. Glad to see yours is working well. Post pics if you can.

could pre-skimmer box be made to surface skim the water going into the powerhead for one of these things?

man, I wish I was handy enough to make one of these. i'm sure if I tried, it would end up in disaster. i'll just have to wait until AquaC gets out the nano remora.

Im sure you could use a 150gph pump but its not going to be as effective. Im sure it also depends on the size of your tank, If it were a 10 gal then ya it would still work well on a small skimmer

I'm running a 215gph one on a larger skimmer than the origional one here on a 55 gal tank and it works great!

Mine´s a 9G reef (future a 20G reef, including sump, but I pretend still mantaining 9G... more "thouchable" than bigger reefs...)

rbelle(Brazil)

ok, i will buy acrilic tomorow, but i need the diagram ou the exactly measures of the noone skimmer or i can buy the acrilic with measures in this diagram?

attachment.php?s=&postid=270609

i use a 650l pump or 700l/h pump

Barry Cuda

OK, stupid question here, but what is CPVC? Obviously some kind of PVC, but what? And how does the injector attach to the rest of the skimmer?

Reefer_Buddha

you use a male threaded connection (mpt) and a female threaded (fpt) for the connections. Also get O rings to prevent leaking. 1/2" is the standard for most projects.

P.S. I have a new skimmer design ill be releasing tonight in my own thread with thanks to Radar for his awesome designs.

Originally posted by rbelle(Brazil)

pleaseeeee, anyone have the noone project skimmer?

My skimmer is exactly size of Undertheradar, only change the inyector... i make one hole in one side of the skimmer and put and acrilic tube of 1/2, this is the pictures.

Skimmer24tn.jpg Skimmer25tn.jpg Skimmer26tn.jpg Skimmer27tn.jpg

Bullredchaser

Do you just hold the pieces of acrylic together while the solvent cures or do you have to use braces.Also do finish up with silicone on the seals.Can you use clear caulk silicone?

Reefer_Buddha

(didnt know if you were asking everyone or noone)

I usually use masking tape to hold it together. Then i use weldon to bond the acrylic. You dont need to finish with silicon. Weldon is very strong.

Reefer_Buddha

its a bonding agent made for acrylic. It melts the acrylic slighty so it bonds to other acrylic for the best strength between 2 pieces. since youre in brazil it might not be available there.

Archived