Top Shelf Aquatics

Smallest external protien skimmer you have seen?

CodeToad

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Von digity

I noticed this thread a little late. All I can say is "Wow" that thing actually skims. I'm very impressed with the simple design, and am in the process of building one of these.

Buddha, I'm not sure about what heat bends your talking about. But, I was playing around with bending strips of 1/8" acrylic. It's easy, just use a heat gun, clamp it in place (I used a workbech some clamps and a few pieces of scrap wood) and bend. If it's thicker acrylic you could probly do the same, but a trick is to remove some material behind where you want the bend to be.

Here are some simple shapes I did. I bent some against pipes and stuff to get smoother radiuses.

HTH

Undertheradar

You could just cut a piece of say...1.5"x3" plexi for the top and just set it there...no big deal for a top.

Thanks Noone, glad to help. Seeing it work so well really makes me glad I did all that DIYing. I would rate this skimmer for up to 20gallons.

Undertheradar

Oh, almost forgot...

Buddha, I didnt do any bends...but that would be a nice idea! It sure would make those inside angles for the skimmate-collection area and the bubble baffle alot nicer looking. I just like the fact that at this point I can whip one of these together in 15min.

were can i get a heat gun near by? i got a ace, homedeport, wal mart, k mart. got anymore pix? do your think it would be a good idea to make a 5 gallon tank out of 1/8 plexiglass?

Reefer_Buddha

radar so what did you use for the angles inside there if they arent bent by you? The only thing i can think of is those cheesy picture holders at tap plastics. Von thanks for the idea. I dont have a heat gun but i do have a small high power blow drier that i used to put dynamat in my car. Maybe that will work. Radar im also thinking of a design for this skimmer to double it. Ill post pics or maybe just make the whole thing.

Undertheradar

You talkin a 5" wide unit with dual injectors? Better increase your height for the foam collection....LOL. I made the angles by gluing together seperate pieces...thats all...

Reefer_Buddha

ahh i see. The internal baffles on yours look like heat bends. What i was thinkin was a dual injector thats 6" wide. Kinda like CPR's dual skimmer.

Undertheradar

yup yup, thats what I was thinkin you were thinkin...

or, simply making the unit deeper...like 2", would yeild the same results.

rbelle(Brazil)

Hi, i'm from Brazil and i have 16 years old, i have a question (sorry for my poor english). Can make this skimmer with glass? can made it in-sump ?

Tanks

Rafael Flores Bellé

Santa Maria-RS-Brazil

Reefer_Buddha

im sure it could be made with glass. A little more difficult than with acrlyic though. I dont see why you couldnt use it in a sump, just modify it like undertheradar's original design with the outlet near the bottom.

I envy you, brazilian women = hot :P

Undertheradar

I had originally designed the skimmer to be an 'in sump', but then decided I wanted more consistant water level control. Otherwise, all you have to do is leave out the bottom baffle and overflow assembly...the water will just come out of the bottom.

rbelle(Brazil)

ok, i have one more question, do you have a pictur of skimmer in-sump project?diagram of project? because have many pictures and i dont no ho or how is correct , please post the finish project pircture and your especifications, tanks

Reefer_Buddha

im testing the one i made. No pics as of yet. I plan on making a larger version around 6" to replace my nanomora. You make one yet?

No, we´re planning yet... Rbelle is making with me, we´re planing to make this week or next...

I´m planning to use Resun SP1200 (700Liters/h - 185gph) to teste it. Is good for this skimmer, or too higher?

What is the size of the inlet? 1/2"? 3/4"? And the outlet?

May I use another pump or efficiency is only over the Rio180?

Sorry by the scratching english...

Reefer_Buddha

i used 1/2" inlet and outlet but mine is using a 300gph aquaglobe. For the original size skimmer that noone and undertheradar made you can use something smaller maybe 100-200 gph. Frankly i hate rio pumps, i swear by aquaglobes.

Archived