Pod Your Reef

Smallest external protien skimmer you have seen?

CodeToad

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm starting construction just looking were i can find the gule.

the inside

7550inside.jpg

outside

7550outside.jpg

my injection

7550injection.jpg

all the joint are removeable from the out side the inside have garden washer for a solid seal on the inside

my dimesion is bigger. 18x2x6

Undertheradar

Weld On is not sold at HD, your best bet will be to go to the yellow pages and call around to the local plastic distributors. I used weldon3 for the initial construction, and #16 to fill in later. #4 is the same as #3, but takes longer to set.

HEY

This is a great thread!

One quick thing i saw... Noone said he got no micro bubbles... how is that possible with the overflow being that high out the water? its like a waterfall!

Maybe its my ignorance:)

THaNkis

k

Undertheradar

I made a 2.5"wide and a 3" wide. It appears the 2.5 is just too narrow...but the 3" is working fine. I have taken some final measures. I am going to fab a final one later today. I would give specs already, but The skimmer is on a tank right now.

Undertheradar

I did 3...heck, I tried 4, but the side effects arent pleasing me very much. The multiple smaller holes dont seem to shoot as deep, and I cant really say that they make smaller bubbles than just one big hole...hmmm. The good news is that I can easily swap out the injector because it just gets stuck through the sides.

No skimmate yet...then again, fir some odd reason, I have a hard time pulling skimmate out of all my reefs...even the 60gallon (I have used a remora, an ETSS 500, etc...nothing). I will take it to my friends again and see how much this thing pulls out.

Reefer_Buddha

im gona make one but what i decided to use was a T connection and have the bottom part be the injector. Enters from the side shoots down and i just plug off the other side with a push in cap or threaded. Gona see how it works. Yours looks pimpy (as usual) cant wait to see more pics :P

Undertheradar

here are the final specs...I will post pics later of details that are not in the specs, but make for good design.

Undertheradar

this pic shows some final additions. Using just scrap pieces of acrylic, I make the hanging bracket...sure 1/8" acrylic might be a little light...but so is this skimmer! On the water overflow, I cut a 1" length of 1"OD-3/4"ID acrylic pipe and bonded it to the front so it's bottom acts as a hanging bracket as well. Note that it is not centered on the 1/2" hole behind it...it is shifted to the left side to allow it's base to be sealed all around.

Take note of the injector...easy to remove for cleaning, or for swapping out with diferent designs.

Please excuse the crappy bonding I did with this one...it is not a final product after all. Seems I was having a bad night of using weldon...mistake after mistake. It looks like crap...oh, well, at least it works!

thanx for the pix. this the skimmer pull junk out of the tank?

what do you think about the change in the red line down hear. would this helm the foam to enter the collection cup?

4316skim.JPG

Undertheradar

RP, you dont need to reduce it. At one time a few pages ago, I was worried about the foam making it, but as you can see from Noone's 'later' pics, the original is fine, and I am not worried one bit. I have reduced it by giving it an angle in the first place...reducing it any further would just make gluing the piece you are talking about that much more complicated to do. If anything, manipulating the pink piece is all you need to do, but the specs I have provided work just fine...

Undertheradar

oh, and I almost forgot. For the skimmate outlet on the opposite side, I drilled a hole just big enough to fit a piece of that ridgid airline tubing it...then used weldon #3 to fix it in place. Then airline hose attaches to this and away the crud goes!!!

Undertheradar say

but as you can see from Noone's 'later' pics, the original is fine

The original design is PERFECT!!! man...

Only need, time... and if you put the inyector the most near of the water surface, presto!

skimmerA.jpg

skimmerB.jpg

I'm so glad, is chip, is easy and work very, very fine

THX Undertheradar

Archived