ReefCleaners.org

Aaron's Rimless 18" Cube

aaron1987

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You got me worried when you said they came in stressed, they all look fluffy and happy. Your scaping looks amazing with those corals.

I've actually been shocked at how well and how quickly everything recovered. Guess that mean's both Zack and I are doing something right! If only the 'shroom hadn't gotten smashed :(

Looks good.

Thanks!

The colors are so vibrant! Nice photo skills.

I like the way everything looks under the Kessil and I haven't had the stereotypical troubles with white balance and contrast that LED's are supposed to present when photographing - they turn out pretty close to what they really look like. Guess I'm lucky!

Oh man! Somehow I missed the FTS.......incredible.

That's the best part! I'm pleased with 90% of it - the only exception is the top of the left rock structure, the torch has such long sweepers I can't put anything up there with it! Not entirely sure how to approach it... I either need to get rid of the torch or get a whole bunch more and move the tort!

I should probably update on my order from LA:

The tank was looking kind of sterile with the jaw living in the back and the hog being effectively the lone inhabitant. So what's a guy to do? Get free shipping of course. So, on Tusday my package of fun arrived:

Flame Angel

Midas Blenny

Red Mandarin

Pom Pom Crab

and snails (woo! thrilling!)

The blenny and angel settled in nicely and I'm watching the angel like a hawk to see if he's behaving or if he'll need to go. So far, so good - occasionally nips a coral but only in the name of exploration, not dining. The moment he looks to have developed a taste he's gone, though.

The mandarin arrived predictably (if disappointingly) horrifically emaciated. He didn't object to being handled and pretty much sat there looking like death. I was expecting to have emailed LA by now. I tossed him in my sump so he could feast on pods and not deal with competition. The plan is to wean him over to prepared (hopefully) during his stay down there. To help out, I got 2,000 pods from reefs2go today. Poor thing needs to fatten up considerably. Thankfully I've watched him chow down on several now and I'm hopeful that he'll recover as he's scooting around the sump a bit now rather than just laying there.

I'll snap some pics this weekend :)

I just noticed, but your new pics are amazing! Were they taken any differently than your old pics? (Sorry if I missed something in the thread).

Also, that acro on the top right of the tank... I think I might be getting a piece just like that but only noticed that you had a similar looking piece when I browsed through this thread again. Mind sharing a few quick snaps?

I just noticed, but your new pics are amazing! Were they taken any differently than your old pics? (Sorry if I missed something in the thread).

Also, that acro on the top right of the tank... I think I might be getting a piece just like that but only noticed that you had a similar looking piece when I browsed through this thread again. Mind sharing a few quick snaps?

Yeah, I definitely changed something with my photography. I actually used my DSLR instead of my cellphone for those most recent pics ;) . I'm traveling for work this week but I'll grab a couple pics of the acro when I'm home. It's a bit browned at the moment; it's getting shaded by my dragon's breath!

Coming along very nicely. The scape is looking beautiful. Excellent work! :)

Thank you!

Update time: DFS got to refund me for the poor mandarin. He was just too weak to recover, despite the thousands of pods I dumped into the sump with him. I'm also have some issues with the flame which really breaks my heart. He has a definite taste for my acan (not a huge deal) but also occasionally nips at the ange eyes (BIG deal). I'm going to try relocating the favia and see if it reduces the sampling but I'm afraid I'll be trying to rehome him in the near future. Not the best luck.

Mmm sorry to hear man. Flame angel nips ehh lol.

Yeah, sadly. I knew it was a gamble when I got it. I could have countenanced it nipping at a couple things but the angel eyes aren't on that list. Snagged him, bagged him, and tossed him in the sump a few minutes ago. Ah well. Anyone who wants him mosey on over to the classifieds, gorgeous little fish!

Blackcap basslet will replace him if I can ever find one for sale. They seem to be next to impossible to find anymore. And if THAT one gives me problems, screw it, I'll just get some #(@^$) clowns ;)

Oh! I actually do have some good news, I got a ~25 eye mini colony of Miami Hurricane and it looks mighty nice up front!

Deleted User 4

lolol haha Like to hear that one from you :)

I know I saw that your flame was for sale under classifieds awhile ago. Hope it goes to a good home haha.

I thought you had clowns already....guess not..This'll be more interesting...what clowns are you looking to add?

We should go in on orders sometime. I'm always eyeing one or two things on any given site but never want to pay the shipping costs. haha.

lolol haha Like to hear that one from you :)

I know I saw that your flame was for sale under classifieds awhile ago. Hope it goes to a good home haha.

I thought you had clowns already....guess not..This'll be more interesting...what clowns are you looking to add?

Yeah, the flame hawk went to a good home almost immediately. I just have not been having the best luck with fish this time around.

As for the clowns... I actually hate them. If I put them in the tank it would be because I have thrown in the towel on everything else haha. Been there, done that. This time they aren't required for my saltwater tank ;)

We should go in on orders sometime. I'm always eyeing one or two things on any given site but never want to pay the shipping costs. haha.

I never mind saving money on shipping... would be nice to not have to drop $225 to avoid shipping charges. I usually frequent LA, Cherry Corals, and the Digital Fish Room. Let me know what you're looking at and maybe we can make this happen.

Edit: In fact, there's a blackcap basslet in the diver's den with my name on it... so lemme know if you're wanting to drop some cash on LA.

I never mind saving money on shipping... would be nice to not have to drop $225 to avoid shipping charges. I usually frequent LA, Cherry Corals, and the Digital Fish Room. Let me know what you're looking at and maybe we can make this happen.

Edit: In fact, there's a blackcap basslet in the diver's den with my name on it... so lemme know if you're wanting to drop some cash on LA.

Ok. Let me take a look and I'll get back to you. LA usually doesn't do it for me but you never know. haha

Same thing with my flameback. I didn't mind that it picked on my acans since they weren't faves or anything. But when I put my new plate in and it went to town on it like Nori... tank was torn apart and that little bugger was out. Happily in the frag tank now with only softies. Guess the 25 cubes weren't meant to have angels.

I've had my eye on a few things on Cherry Corals, so let me know if you guys decide to order from them. Sorry about the flame hawk. It's a fish I've always wanted, but I'm hesitant to put in my tank.

Ok. Let me take a look and I'll get back to you. LA usually doesn't do it for me but you never know. haha

Sure thing. Fish are about the only thing I buy from them, though occasionally they've got some coral that trips my trigger.

Same thing with my flameback. I didn't mind that it picked on my acans since they weren't faves or anything. But when I put my new plate in and it went to town on it like Nori... tank was torn apart and that little bugger was out. Happily in the frag tank now with only softies. Guess the 25 cubes weren't meant to have angels.

'tis a shame cause the little bastard looked mighty good in there :(

I've had my eye on a few things on Cherry Corals, so let me know if you guys decide to order from them. Sorry about the flame hawk. It's a fish I've always wanted, but I'm hesitant to put in my tank.

I've had one before and he was a model citizen. Unsure whether this hawkfish was just an ####### or if 25g is a bit cramped for their liking. I'll let you know if I do anything with cherry corals. Probably won't be making any orders till after the new years, though.

Who wants some pics of my new goodies?

Met a local with some pretty awesome pieces for sale and picked up a seriously awesome lime green hammer that is green throughout, rather than just the tips, some Sunny D', a gold torch, and a random pink/green chalice. I'm running out of room already! :o

I'm running out of room already! :o

You and me! Where are you going to put the hammer? Torches sometimes don't play nice with other euphys.

• 3 weeks later...

Your tequila sunrise are awesome! Im getting a polyp locally soon! Also thanks for pointing me out to the digital fishroom a while back! Cant wait to watch this tank keep growing!

How is the tank coming along? Have you been by Oceans by Design in Tukwila yet? They opened a few weeks ago. GREAT store.

Archived