Top Shelf Aquatics

Aaron's Rimless 18" Cube

aaron1987

Thank God I was working that day. Saved me lots of moolah... which didn't matter because I went on a fish store day the very next day with my buddy and we ended up with about 11 bags of corals. LOL.

11 bags?! Nice pick up. I'll have to head over to your thread and check the loot out! Bummer about working Sunday - what do you do?

My corals get here Thursday!

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 bags?! Nice pick up. I'll have to head over to your thread and check the loot out! Bummer about working Sunday - what do you do?

My corals get here Thursday!

Sale was on Sat yo! On Sats I work at my LFS and went to a wedding party afterwards! Twas a blast.

Sale was on Sat yo! On Sats I work at my LFS and went to a wedding party afterwards! Twas a blast.

You're right. I was hiking most of Sat so I was actually shopping from 11p-2a and then on Sunday AM again which explains why I thought it was Sunday. The days just seem to run together :huh:

Open bars are my favorite... I've gotten a respite this summer from wedding season but my lord, all my friends decided to get hitched this coming spring/summer. Gonna be one busy dude.

Hawkfish! Cool! Those guys have an interesting personality. I love how they perch on stuff.

They do have a lot of personality. Sadly, this one's personality is #######. He's taken to beating up on the hogfish so he's either ending up in a bucket for a couple days to try to cool him off or traded in at my LFS to be replaced by another... When he's not terrorizing the hogfish, he is entertaining to watch.

Fall-Winter-Spring are my faves out here. I'm a baby about the heat lol. Cool that your jawfish is using the PVC as a cave; I'd read that they can be kinda hit or miss on using "man-made."

I knew I was forgetting another "big" indie fish store- Blue Sierra in Issaquah. I think they have one in Bellevue/Factoria- don't go to that one. Their main store is the Issaquah location. Great freshwater selection, I only paid attention to their saltwater once which was recently & it was ok...but I think they normally have a better variety. Good place to get dry goods with I think fair pricing, can't be 100% on that bc I wasn't looking closely. They have coupons you can print out online for some savings, & I believe they'll try to accommodate special orders...

You can join their email newsletter and get 10% off next purchase too! Its not much, but it covers the tax :)

And the cherries are in!

Perhaps my favorite piece, Angel Eyes Favia

20120928_164409.jpg

CC "Anudder Chaos"

20120928_164459.jpg

Yellow Yuma and baby

20120928_164737.jpg

JF Purple Forest and Blue Tipped Torch

20120928_164811.jpg

Random blue and orange mushroom and poorly exposed Rasta's

20120928_164836.jpg

Dragon's Breath

20120928_165015.jpg

Aaaand the new FTS!

20120928_165123-1.jpg

Looks good man. :happy:

Thanks! I've still got a lot of open rock but it's nice to have something in there. I'll break out the DSLR once a few more corals get added for some real pics, rather than what my S3 grabs.

Mr. Microscope

Awesome update! Sorry to hear your hawk is a jerk.

Love that mushroom! 'Looking for a multi-colored myself. Recently, I saw one online like that that was orange and pink.

I'd move that torch down. It looks great up there, but I'm guessing you'll want that penthouse real estate for for SPS in the future. Especially since you have that purple guy up there already.

Nice additions!

very nice!

Thanks!

:happydance: They look great! Makes me want a favia.

Favia are some of my favorite. Unfortunately with the more minimal aquascape I will be limited to one or two - so I've got to make the ones I do get count!

That favia is sick! The color on the tank looks very crisp, I like it.

I've had some other rainbow favia in the past, baby's breath and mia's pot of gold - this is far and away my favorite.

Awesome update! Sorry to hear your hawk is a jerk.

Love that mushroom! 'Looking for a multi-colored myself. Recently, I saw one online like that that was orange and pink.

I'd move that torch down. It looks great up there, but I'm guessing you'll want that penthouse real estate for for SPS in the future. Especially since you have that purple guy up there already.

I've been impressed with some of the mushrooms doing the rounds since my re-entry to the hobby: jawbreaker's, the mordacious, etc. There are definitely some very nice ones available!

It's quite likely that the torch will end up somewhere else as I round out the coral selection in my tank. The nice thing is that I don't have to worry about it encrusting while I figure out what else is going in ;) That said, I do like the idea of interspersing movement with my sticks and the light is quite capable of growing SPS on any level of the aquascape I should think.

In other news - things with the hawkfish have gotten worse. I'm not sure under what circumstances the jawfish left his burrow but he has been absolutely roughed up by the hawk overnight and this morning. His fins are all ripped up and I find it a stretch that he will pull through, as yellowheads are fragile when stressed in my experience. I don't particularly want to flush him, but I've had no takers trying to get rid of him through other methods and nothing to house him in while I wait it out.

Mr. Microscope
the light is quite capable of growing SPS on any level of the aquascape I should think.

Good point! ;)

In other news - things with the hawkfish have gotten worse. I'm not sure under what circumstances the jawfish left his burrow but he has been absolutely roughed up by the hawk overnight and this morning. His fins are all ripped up and I find it a stretch that he will pull through, as yellowheads are fragile when stressed in my experience. I don't particularly want to flush him, but I've had no takers trying to get rid of him through other methods and nothing to house him in while I wait it out.

Awe bullocks! Sorry to hear that. I feel your pain with a mean fish. I had to get rid of my four line wrasse for the same reason. Fortunately, everyone is okay now that he's out of there, but one of my clowns suffered some substantial tail splits and nips. Have you tried your local reef club/website? Usually, "free to a good home" works. Good luck!

Good point! ;)

Awe bullocks! Sorry to hear that. I feel your pain with a mean fish. I had to get rid of my four line wrasse for the same reason. Fortunately, everyone is okay now that he's out of there, but one of my clowns suffered some substantial tail splits and nips. Have you tried your local reef club/website? Usually, "free to a good home" works. Good luck!

Slight update - the jawfish still looks like hell and is wedged into a rock, hiding. His flesh has been nipped at, he's missing large chunks of fin, and he's gasping. Yet when I fed the tank, he ate like a pig. A bit of a contradiction when compared to his visual condition so perhaps now that the hawk is haunting the sump he'll manage to pull through. My big fear at this point is that the mithrax crabs polish him off overnight in his weakened state.

Slight update - the jawfish still looks like hell and is wedged into a rock, hiding. His flesh has been nipped at, he's missing large chunks of fin, and he's gasping. Yet when I fed the tank, he ate like a pig. A bit of a contradiction when compared to his visual condition so perhaps now that the hawk is haunting the sump he'll manage to pull through. My big fear at this point is that the mithrax crabs polish him off overnight in his weakened state.

It might be hard to catch him now but anyway you could seclude the crab? Might increase his chances of survival.

buddythelion

Sorry to hear about the jawfish man. Hope it pulls through. If not, there's always a BSJ in the future!

But best of luck to Pearl!

Dude, that favia. It's stunning! Really jealous, that's my fav coral in your tank atm! When's that TDF order coming in? I might pull the trigger on some of TDF's stuff too.

Sorry to hear about the jawfish man. Hope it pulls through. If not, there's always a BSJ in the future!

But best of luck to Pearl!

Dude, that favia. It's stunning! Really jealous, that's my fav coral in your tank atm! When's that TDF order coming in? I might pull the trigger on some of TDF's stuff too.

No update on the Jaw yet, I suspect he burrowed under a rock but I have no idea if he's alive and kicking in there or not.

I'm trying to get the Angel Eyes eating like a pig - grow baby grow! Your name is on the first frag (though it might be awhile before I can bring myself to cut it up!) if you want it.

Small update:

Against all odds, the jawfish survived and is making a recovery. He already looks about a hundred times better than the last time I saw him. It always surprises me how quickly fins regrow and lesions heal. His new home is unfortunately in the back corner of the tank facing a wall but whaddya gonna do? I'm pleased he survived!

Got some goodies today from a local. 4" mini colony of Red Planet, 3" Rose Hyacinthus, and a 2" light blue acro. On the whole, not a bad score for $90! I'll upload some pics once everything has settled into the new home. It's probably about time for an FTS anyway...

Running across these little guys in the Diver's Den today makes me both extremely sad and my wallet extremely glad I don't have a large enough tank for them. I would be on these in a second flat if I had anything approaching a suitable setup...

post-33631-1349911728_thumb.jpg

Archived