Cultivated Reef

Aaron's Rimless 18" Cube

aaron1987

I've been in maintenance mode for the past couple weeks, watching the corals grow. Zack should be shipping me my replacement tie dye mushroom (suck on that, Shazaams ;) )and neon green toadstool in the next couple weeks, though.

I'm actually considering switching my tank over to LPS/Softies only - the SPS just haven't really been doing it for me and the cramped dimensions make it difficult to space them out from sweepers.

The mandarin is on a steady diet of OVA Prawn Roe and not quite "fat" but seems to be doing reasonably well. I'm still looking for ways to get him to take more/different kinds of foods that aren't as messy or as much of a PITA to feed.

Probably due for a new FTS, eh?

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Shipment arrived from the Digital Fish Room today. Finally the owner of the Mystery Tie Dye mushroom and Japanese Neon Green Toadstool!

Shipment arrived from the Digital Fish Room today. Finally the owner of the Mystery Tie Dye mushroom and Japanese Neon Green Toadstool!

pics!

• 2 weeks later...
buddythelion

Get on that asap! Gotta know how the twin is doing.

BTW: I can definitely ship now. Woo hoo!

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Busy, busy, busy... unfortunately with things unrelated to reefing. My summer and fall have been chaotic in the extreme and the tank has suffered for it. Quite frankly, if it weren't for the coraline buildup, it looks less mature than almost a year ago. I've been battling some serious GHA that I finally have on the retreat through the combined effects of a BRS media reactor, algae blenny, and hairy sea hare.

I'm thinking about re-doing my aquascape. It looked cool at first, but I have a surplus of vertical space and a lot of encrusting corals like the favia, cyphastra, chalic... Not committed yet, but it is a present source of frustration.

On the plus side, my tie-dye from Zack has put off two babies and my blastos are loving life. If I can clean things up a bit more over the next week or two I might be brave enough to post a FTS.

Well, I hope you didn't lose any pieces of the reef. Glad to have you back man.

ps. I also hope you don't redo the scape because the current one is just too good.

Unfortunately I lost the yellow torch and my lime green hammer is quite unhappy at the moment... struggling to troubleshoot it. I am trying target feeding but it's so retracted these days its hard to say if it will make it. That said, I definitely am liking the LPS look and will probably expand to some more euphyllia for the left island.

Superman blasto has grown a ton, the tequila sunrise had a rough go for a bit but is now about 6 heads instead of the 3 I started with and the space invaders has grown to probably 4x its original size. My japanese neon green toadstool is also happy as a clam. My dendro's have gone from 2 hears to about 8 so it's not all bad. Needs a bit of TLC and a couple more corals to fill in holes and it'll be right as rain.

Whew, I was going to say, good thing you didn't lose your blastos!! Yellow torch, you can get a new one anytime, but those blastos are much more rare and expensive imo. Good thing they've grown a lot as well!

Whew, I was going to say, good thing you didn't lose your blastos!! Yellow torch, you can get a new one anytime, but those blastos are much more rare and expensive imo. Good thing they've grown a lot as well!

True enough! Tracking down more tequila sunrise would have been a pain. I did a little rearranging last night and you'll be glad to hear that I kept the 'scape and I'm a lot happier with the effect with corals in new homes.

Awesome tank. Love the scape.

Thanks! I'll clean it up a bit more and toss up FTS tonight or tomorrow.

Nice!! Yeah that tequila sunrise is a beauty....lol.

One of my favorites along with the angel eyes favia and tie-dye mushroom :)

Lets see some updates already. Enough talking about your collection!! :)

Gotta do something to pass the work day... ;) I'll scrub some glass and snap a pic or two when I get home.

Yes... he lives...

Indeed! Fresh off my diving trip in Hawaii and reinvigorated. If only I had a collector's permit...

Nice columns! I'm always in awe of scape like that. Ive attempted several times, but never been able to achieve it. Would love to see a front view FTS of this beauty.

Nice columns! I'm always in awe of scape like that. Ive attempted several times, but never been able to achieve it. Would love to see a front view FTS of this beauty.

Thanks! Truthfully its felt a bit like luck both times I've done it. I order more dry rock than I need, play with what I end up with and find something that's somewhat stable on its own, then set it with epoxy. The trick is to realize that epoxy doesn't "glue" anything together, it simply provides bracing. It needs to either be shaped such that it grips the rocks, the rocks need to be stable, or you should plan on supplementing the structural integrity with zip ties or super glue.

I may need to do a bit more housekeeping on the aquarium before taking a "real" FTS...

Can't wait for those close up shots of the tye dye mushies and tequila sunrise blastos!! :)

Bottom left ;)

I'll snap some real pictures of them tonight, as long as you promise to ignore the GHA on the base of the Tequila Sunrise

Archived