Top Shelf Aquatics

My BC14 . . .

ward827

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Mexican turbo's (2 small .75") I added 2 weeks ago bit the dust and became hermit food.

My tank gets up to about 82-83º and I think that's too hot for those guys.
All the other snails are fine and doing their thing.

oldSWseamomma

Hi Ward :( Sorry to hear about your Mexican tubo's but you are right your tank is way too hot for them. They like a temp of between 72-76 and can even survive down to 65.

Hi Ward :( Sorry to hear about your Mexican tubo's but you are right your tank is way too hot for them. They like a temp of between 72-76 and can even survive down to 65.

Yah. I knew but thought I'd take a chance. I've had better luck with them in the winter here when my tank only gets to 76º max.

But summer here is a killer. I keep my place at 74º but with the lights in the tank and sun that hits the walls the tank temp rises to about 83º during the day. It drops at night. The swing doesn't affect anything else. W-

Yah. I knew but thought I'd take a chance. I've had better luck with them in the winter here when my tank only gets to 76º max.

But summer here is a killer. I keep my place at 74º but with the lights in the tank and sun that hits the walls the tank temp rises to about 83º during the day. It drops at night. The swing doesn't affect anything else. W-

Yea, it hit almost 100 yesterday. It's impossible to keep my apartment below 80, let alone my tank.

A chiller is about 400$, but I figure keeping my a/c on costs less.

I can't imagine using a $400 chiller for a BC14!!! :)

My AC is always on. But tank still gets to 82ish.

Yes the biocube's downfall is the overheating. I had a BC14 too and what people recommended was to take the hood off and get another light for it or detach the hood and hang it or prop it somehow.

I can't imagine using a $400 chiller for a BC14!!! :)

My AC is always on. But tank still gets to 82ish.

I had the lid open with a fan blowing on my BC14. it worked to cool it a few degrees.

After switching to LED's, I had very little heat issues. Then, after removing my hood altogether, the heat issues went away entirely. Mine's a solid 78 degrees year around.

oldSWseamomma

I plan on starting up a BC14 after I get back from vacation (which will be in August) and my friend that I bought it from said he didn't have issues with heat but I've read quite a few people on here that have them or have had them said they ran hot. I run my AC at 72 in the summer and heat at 74 in the winter and my RSM130 stays at 76-78. I hope I don't have heat issues with the BC14. I really don't want to stick extra money in it for LED's. If I do I wonder if putting one of those surface fans that StevieT sells and keeping the feeding lid open will help with heat?

I keep the feeding lid cracked about .5". Helps the circulation.
Really not a problem . . . until the turbo's bit the dust. :) Live and learn.

Woo hoooo! Seeing as how my rock nem order fell through, I decided to try a small maxi mini nem from Morgan at Reef Gardener.

Holy moly!!! It is GREAT! And she sent me 2 for 1!!! One is fucia with a green skirt. The other is a lighter magenta with a green skirt.

Easy acclimation and they took to the LR right away! Easy to handle too! Will post a pick once I'm sure they are staying put. :)

I think my tank is going to become a species tank. Sooner than later. :)

Reef Goddess

;] Once my 60 new maxis come in you'll really be able to go crazy. I'll also have sexy shrimp to go with them. I'm also getting in some Emperor shrimp. Thought I would give them a try.

Emerald crab has been missing for a few days . . . hopefully off molting and getting ready to re-enter reef society. :D
Or it was eaten by the hermits and I'll see no trace. :( The other crab, Sally 'Gordon' Lightfoot, is a great algae eater and has a bold personality.

It's staying pretty good at 79-83º within a 24 hour range, so I'm not too worried. :)

Ideally a 1-2 degree swing is considered stable. But I have often wondered if this is just an un researched rule or there is something scientific behind the recommendation. I wonder how much the oceans fluctuate in temperature between night and day.

I've heard/read the oceans temp can fluctuate quite a bit in 24 hours . . . Especially in shallower water. Sun, currents, etc.
All I know is so far the 4-5 degree temp swing that I get in 24 hours has had no ill effects. :)

Archived