Coral Vue Hydros

My BC14 . . .

ward827

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aww, sorry to hear about your tank. :(

I'm glad the losses weren't as bad as it could have been though. Question for you - do you have any problems with fan noise on your BC14? I'm starting to get really irritated with the noise coming from mine.

Just a FYI to try on the fans. On my bc14 , when they start getting noisy I take them out, gently peel sticker half up on the fan axle, and put a drop of "LUBRIPLATE" on them. They quiet up for another 6-9 mos.

If your fans are getting loud you can look at retrofitting a bigger fan on it. I have a 120mm cooling my 3 led strips currently.

I couldnt stand the constant hummmmmmmmmmm. Lol.. Now its a quiet low hummmm.

Looks good btw. Much better than mine does.

I couldnt stand the constant hummmmmmmmmmm. Lol.. Now its a quiet low hummmm.

Looks good btw. Much better than mine does.

Thanks! Had a few ups and downs. Coming along nicely now. W-

Polarcollision

Quick update . . . Started systemic peroxide dosing tonight.

1.4 mL dose. Will do this daily for a week and evaluate the effectiveness then.

Most everything got pissed off but all inverts and fish seem unaffected.

Emerald crab actually started going to town on some of the GHA.

Will see. Optimistic. Tank got to the point where I needed a little chemical help.

All for now. W-

Tell me more about this. I've got turf algae of some kind growing out of hand. It seems like I'm out of options and need to resort to the peroxide treatment too. Such a chicken. Don't want to lose the SPS that have FINALLY started growing well.

Tell me more about this. I've got turf algae of some kind growing out of hand. It seems like I'm out of options and need to resort to the peroxide treatment too. Such a chicken. Don't want to lose the SPS that have FINALLY started growing well.

Well . . . I got a little lazy and that's when I decided to take the peroxide plunge!

I used to scrub all the algae spots at every water change. Didn't get bad but got a little unruly and made me not like my tank as much.

Got in and scrubbed and also started dosing peroxide at 1 mL/10 gal by volume. After a week I saw that my sand had turned bright white again. GHA became lighter in color and easier to scrub away. Also the CUC began to attack it.

I now do 5 mL every night. No bad effects. All my corals have responded well. Hammer is fluffy! Leather too. Zo's get pissed but they open up later. Only thing that stays pissed a little longer is the GHA. But you can't kill that! :)

It's not a miracle treatment. But it has helped. Keeps my koralia clean too. I can't lift out my rock so that's why I dose.

If you can pull your rock, do that and drizzle straight peroxide on the turf algae. Then rinse the areas with salt water and put back in your tank.

Hope this helps! W-

Woo hoo! My tank's been on N-R a year and a day! :)

So I think it's about 1 year and 2 months old total.

Happy birthday tank. I think you need some presents.....

Thank you!!!

Hmmmmm . . . Kat's Korner may need some additions. :D

omgomgomgomgomgomg omgomgomg HAPPY BIRFDAY UPGRADE TIME !!!! omgomgomgomgomgomg omgomgomg

I have a 105g with your name on it.

sorry Veng , you had your shot

Polarcollision

Well . . . I got a little lazy and that's when I decided to take the peroxide plunge!

I used to scrub all the algae spots at every water change. Didn't get bad but got a little unruly and made me not like my tank as much.

Got in and scrubbed and also started dosing peroxide at 1 mL/10 gal by volume. After a week I saw that my sand had turned bright white again. GHA became lighter in color and easier to scrub away. Also the CUC began to attack it.

I now do 5 mL every night. No bad effects. All my corals have responded well. Hammer is fluffy! Leather too. Zo's get pissed but they open up later. Only thing that stays pissed a little longer is the GHA. But you can't kill that! :)

It's not a miracle treatment. But it has helped. Keeps my koralia clean too. I can't lift out my rock so that's why I dose.

If you can pull your rock, do that and drizzle straight peroxide on the turf algae. Then rinse the areas with salt water and put back in your tank.

Hope this helps! W-

Do you have any SPS? Lucky me, the turf algae is growing around itty bitty mini colonies. I could drain the tank during water change and drizzle peroxide directly, I suppose? Not sure what it would do to encrusting montiporas like sunset monti and garf bonsai. I've dipped zoas in peroxide to clean algae off frag plugs. Those things are bullet proof.

1mL/10g dose: is that frequency per day? (Edit - just sa you dose daily above.)

Happy birthday tank!! That's awesome!

Do you have any SPS? Lucky me, the turf algae is growing around itty bitty mini colonies. I could drain the tank during water change and drizzle peroxide directly, I suppose? Not sure what it would do to encrusting montiporas like sunset monti and garf bonsai. I've dipped zoas in peroxide to clean algae off frag plugs. Those things are bullet proof.

1mL/10g dose: is that frequency per day?

Happy birthday tank!! That's awesome!

Thanks!

I have some encrusting ORA spongodes. That's it. Doing so so but not affected by the peroxide. Really not a sps tank.

Light isn't strong enough.

If you can drain tank, I would do that. That's what everyone says to try first. Then just put the water back in.

Yes, 1 mL/10 gal. I upped the dose as I'm almost done with 2 weeks. W-

Polarcollision

Thanks!

I have some encrusting ORA spongodes. That's it. Doing so so but not affected by the peroxide. Really not a sps tank.

Light isn't strong enough.

If you can drain tank, I would do that. That's what everyone says to try first. Then just put the water back in.

Yes, 1 mL/10 gal. I upped the dose as I'm almost done with 2 weeks. W-

Thanks! Looks like I'll be giving that a try tomorrow morning. OMG. So nervous! I've only used peroxide in the lab to kill bacteria. I might need Tim to hold my hand and feed me wine. or a horse tranquilizer. ;-/

Thank you!

Even some zo's that I had written off are starting to fluff up and come back! :)

W-

i just dipped some palys this weekend and with 50/50 peroxide to tank water for 5 minutes. all the bryopsis on the plug turned white and basically died instantly. palys opened up and are doing good.

Polarcollision

1mL/10 gallons peroxide dose and NOTHING changed. I could tell it was active cause palys closed and bubbles formed here and there. No diatom death. No algae death.

So I vaccumed up the top 1/2 of sand bed and poured in another inch or so over the bottom layer. Smothering the diatoms instead. Maybe there was phosphate buildup in the sand... They didn't rebloom this morning at least. :-) And I picked out the big chunks of turf algae by hand. Next plan of attack is draining tank and applying full strength to algae.

1mL/10 gallons peroxide dose and NOTHING changed. I could tell it was active cause palys closed and bubbles formed here and there. No diatom death. No algae death.

So I vaccumed up the top 1/2 of sand bed and poured in another inch or so over the bottom layer. Smothering the diatoms instead. Maybe there was phosphate buildup in the sand... They didn't rebloom this morning at least. :-) And I picked out the big chunks of turf algae by hand. Next plan of attack is draining tank and applying full strength to algae.

As my friend Kat says, it's more of a disinfectant than anything else. I still have to scrub. But my scrubbing has become less. :) You may want to up the dose a little.

Polarcollision

As my friend Kat says, it's more of a disinfectant than anything else. I still have to scrub. But my scrubbing has become less. :) You may want to up the dose a little.

Getting a little braver with it now that nothing has died so I might up the concentration. I expected the diatoms to at least die back from the treatment since I watched them pop under 3% peroxide in the microscope. The algae has a tough cell wall to protect it so it wasn't really a suprise when it didn't die back at full strength. More a frustration than anything. Hopefully the new growth tips should be more susceptible. Sand replacement seems to have fixed the diatom problem - so far so good. fingerscrossed

Archived