SaltCritters.com

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

I had to ask him myself and it was marine pure. It has a pre-filter. In the reactor he made for the block he cuts them down to size needed.

The material is used in a lot of different situations. From aquariums to ponds.

Thanks Reefwiser

I appreciate for the clarification

Albert

• Like 1

Siporax is a glass product and Marine pure is a ceramic. The nice thing about the Marine pure is that it has the ability to encourage the growth of Anaerobic bacteria. So it also consumes nitrates. I do not think with the way water flows thru Siporax at a higher rate so you do not get that anaerobic area for bacteria to grow.

Majestic Aquarium has a lot of good info on their YouTube channel on using Marine Pure. Here is one of their videos on using the product.

• Like 1

I do not think with the way water flows thru Siporax at a higher rate so you do not get that anaerobic area for bacteria to grow.

Sorry that is just not so. Siporax is being used successfully to reduce nitrate thorough the propagation of anaerobic bacteria which due to it's construction has a low oxygen content within its pores. Siporax has been used so for over 20 years and has more than proved itself. Also due to it's unique construction it last longer due to it is less likely to block with bacterial slime and detritus.

2 days ago I completed my DIY light cradle to house my Evergrow IT2080-w Pro Reef LED unit. The cradle is made from aluminium angle and bolted together with stainless steel nuts and bolts then painted black. The whole thing is on 4 x bogies so I can push it back and forth and sits just 4" off the waters surface. Previously I had it on the supplied legs as per the first 2 pic's and it sat 8" above the waters surface. The whole thing is now much more stealth and being the "W" version it has 120 degree lenses so no dark spots at the ends etc. The last 2 pic's show it has it looks now with the light sitting in the cradle hardly protruding above the canopy.

20150214_231501_zpsb0fdb458.jpg

10410225_10152799618912515_4334647184265

20150216_171542_zps5671d8d6.jpg

20150216_170409_zps6f366d35.jpg

One of the things to note with the above pic's is that I have far less light spillage with my light fitted in the cradle than when I used the supplied legs. IMO light spillage = wasted light.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

The whole thing is now much more stealth and being the "W" version it has 20 degree lenses so no dark spots at the ends etc.

Do you mean 120 degrees? With 20 degree lenses, you'd need the light to sit around 6 feet above your tank to get the necessary spread :)

• Like 2

Do you mean 120 degrees? With 20 degree lenses, you'd need the light to sit around 6 feet above your tank to get the necessary spread :)

Ooops yes. :blush: I missed the 1 off the 20 degree lenses so of course I have 120 degree lenses not 20 degree. My bad and thank you for pointing it out. :bowdown:

• Like 1

Siporax is a glass product and Marine pure is a ceramic. The nice thing about the Marine pure is that it has the ability to encourage the growth of Anaerobic bacteria. So it also consumes nitrates. I do not think with the way water flows thru Siporax at a higher rate so you do not get that anaerobic area for bacteria to grow.

Majestic Aquarium has a lot of good info on their YouTube channel on using Marine Pure. Here is one of their videos on using the product.

Thanks Reefwsiser and I think that Mr Talbot does explain it well but he does not mention the pre-filtering that is needed for Marine Pure just as it is needed for Siporax and for any other media including Bioballs. In fact we had Bioballs for sale (red ones) that had an internal surface area and and external one to achieve that same effect (Thiel Aqua Tech sold them for a long time).

Any medium needs IME pre-fitlration t9 prevent the clogging of the pores so it does not become a nitrate factory rather than the opposite (which is what we really want of course).

Note that when I used Siporax and pre-filtered it I had very good success with it

I have not tried Marine Pure and I guess that one of these days I will have to not as a big block but broken up into smaller pieces

When I do so I will for sure report on it

Thanks for the video ..

Albert

• Like 1

Thanks Reefwsiser and I think that Mr Talbot does explain it well but he does not mention the pre-filtering that is needed for Marine Pure just as it is needed for Siporax and for any other media including Bioballs. In fact we had Bioballs for sale (red ones) that had an internal surface area and and external one to achieve that same effect (Thiel Aqua Tech sold them for a long time).

Any medium needs IME pre-fitlration t9 prevent the clogging of the pores so it does not become a nitrate factory rather than the opposite (which is what we really want of course).

Note that when I used Siporax and pre-filtered it I had very good success with it

I have not tried Marine Pure and I guess that one of these days I will have to not as a big block but broken up into smaller pieces

When I do so I will for sure report on it

Thanks for the video ..

Albert

Why not just use Siporax Albert it takes up little space and the new way to use it is to put the 15mm rings inside the 25mm rings doubling up the surface area. Many people are making baskets out of egg crate to put it in and are reporting great success putting it in the sump or other filter compartment even using it in powerfilters.

• Like 1

Why not just use Siporax Albert it takes up little space and the new way to use it is to put the 15mm rings inside the 25mm rings doubling up the surface area. Many people are making baskets out of egg crate to put it in and are reporting great success putting it in the sump or other filter compartment even using it in powerfilters.

Yes I agree and have read about the new type of use by inserting the small ones into the larger ones and the excellent results that Hobbyists are reporting using the Siporax in that manner ...

Are you using any of it currently ?

Albert

Interesting test in that Video proving that the Siporax a absorbs more actually

Albert

• Like 1

Yes I agree and have read about the new type of use by inserting the small ones into the larger ones and the excellent results that Hobbyists are reporting using the Siporax in that manner ...

Are you using any of it currently ?

Albert

Interesting test in that Video proving that the Siporax a absorbs more actually

Albert

I am currently waiting delivery as I ordered it from Germany last week. I hope to have it any day soon. I ordered 15 and 25mm 4.5ltr of each type which maybe too much but it was still cheaper than ordering from here in the UK even with the shipping costs. I will let you know when it arrives and how I will use it in my sump.

• Like 1

I am currently waiting delivery as I ordered it from Germany last week. I hope to have it any day soon. I ordered 15 and 25mm 4.5ltr of each type which maybe too much but it was still cheaper than ordering from here in the UK even with the shipping costs. I will let you know when it arrives and how I will use it in my sump.

Thanks Les and yes do let us know ... I am really interested in YOUR evaluation of how they work in your tank after they have colonized with both types of bacteria

The second batch that reduces nitrates may take up to a month to develop I think ...

Albert

• Like 1

Thanks Les and yes do let us know ... I am really interested in YOUR evaluation of how they work in your tank after they have colonized with both types of bacteria

The second batch that reduces nitrates may take up to a month to develop I think ...

Albert

I will do a nitrate test before I introduce them then again at monthly intervals and post the results.

Les.

• Like 1

I will do a nitrate test before I introduce them then again at monthly intervals and post the results.

Les.

Thanks Les ... that is the way to go as you well know

Albert

• Like 1

Les, I have used both of the products and just like the Marine pure better. Mainly the slower flow of water thru the material is what I am looking for which exactly what your video show's.:) Faster flow is nice for aerobic bacteria but it doesn't help promote anaerobic bacteria as well. Yes Albert I had used the Theil product back in the day too. There is a place for everything and everything in its place.:)

• Like 1

Les, I have used both of the products and just like the Marine pure better. Mainly the slower flow of water thru the material is what I am looking for which exactly what your video show's. :) Faster flow is nice for aerobic bacteria but it doesn't help promote anaerobic bacteria as well. Yes Albert I had used the Theil product back in the day too. There is a place for everything and everything in its place. :)

I fully understand how Siporax works having used it 20 years ago to good effect. It won't be in a fast flow and the tank sump water won't actually go through it. However people have used in in powerfilters and have said it works but I have never used it that way. You pays your money and takes your pick and having used Siporax the way I intend it to I expect it to work as expected. I will stay will a medium I know and respect for what it can do. I prefer Siporax to big blocks and the smaller space it takes up. I e Siporax is still believe Siporax will last longer the way it is designed to work and has been doing for many years for many people.

• Like 1

Les, I have used both of the products and just like the Marine pure better. Mainly the slower flow of water thru the material is what I am looking for which exactly what your video show's. :) Faster flow is nice for aerobic bacteria but it doesn't help promote anaerobic bacteria as well. Yes Albert I had used the Theil product back in the day too. There is a place for everything and everything in its place. :)

Yes as you imply there is more than one way to skin a cat indeed and in this hobby there are no absolutes ... just many paths to success, I fully agree

Albert

An interesting discussion on Siporax. Am I OK to post this here if not please delete.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2461343

and Sera's own taking on using Siporax in response to a couple of questions.

https://www.sera.de/en/sera-service/sera-interactive/faq/details/article/nitrate-breakdown-with-sera-siporax-what-kind-of-filter-is-suitable.html

My filter compartment will be along the lines of a passive filtration of the Siporax.

• Like 1

An interesting discussion on Siporax. Am I OK to post this here if not please delete.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2461343

and Sera's own taking on using Siporax in response to a couple of questions.

https://www.sera.de/en/sera-service/sera-interactive/faq/details/article/nitrate-breakdown-with-sera-siporax-what-kind-of-filter-is-suitable.html

My filter compartment will be along the lines of a passive filtration of the Siporax.

Yes very interesting indeed Les ... and confirming what you said earlier and what I experienced when I was using it a long time ago.

And again the emphasis is on making sure there is a real good pre-filter

I gather though that with Marine Pure the same will be needed

Not sure how well it keeps the nitrates down though although Raul's system seems to indicate that it does

Albert

• Like 1

Yes very interesting indeed Les ... and confirming what you said earlier and what I experienced when I was using it a long time ago.

And again the emphasis is on making sure there is a real good pre-filter

I gather though that with Marine Pure the same will be needed

Not sure how well it keeps the nitrates down though although Raul's system seems to indicate that it does

Albert

I am sure both systems work Albert just more than one way to skin a cat and I like Siporax having used it and have experience on just how well it works In comparison to other forms of biological media it also takes up much less space and you need less of it for the same results compared to many other biological medias. BTW should it ever get blocked it is easy to regenerate using a microwave oven. In fact some alternated tubs of it microwaving each in turn over many months so it is to all intensive purposes everlasting.

The Bioballs with external and internal areas for Bacterial growth that we used to sell a long time ago

bio2.pngert

Yes I remember it well Albert.

• Like 1

I am sure both systems work Albert just more than one way to skin a cat and I like Siporax having used it and have experience on just how well it works In comparison to other forms of biological media it also takes up much less space and you need less of it for the same results compared to many other biological medias. BTW should it ever get blocked it is easy to regenerate using a microwave oven. In fact some alternated tubs of it microwaving each in turn over many months so it is to all intensive purposes everlasting.

Yes I remember it well Albert.

Yes indeed that was the way to keep the Siporax going if there were occasions where it plugged it ... due to lack of pre-filtration mainly but after a long of use microfilm of bacteria growing over each other could do the same (after a long time)

I have not used the Marine Pure so I can honestly not speak for it except for what I have seen from the posts made by Raul on his tank and the contraption he built to hold the Marine Pure ... One of these days I will have to try it out

I did like the Siporax a lot though but then when we started selling those SuperTechs as they were called (the red bioballs) I switched to those obviously

Albert

• Like 1

Albert, I am always trying new things and learning new ways of doing thing's. Its part of the hobby for me. The more I know the more there is to know. There is no one right way in the hobby to do things. There are just different ways to the same goal. I love learning from hobbyist around the world. It's the hobby to me learning from others.

Marine pure info page.

http://www.cermedia.com/marinepure-testimonials.php

• Like 2

Albert, I am always trying new things and learning new ways of doing thing's. Its part of the hobby for me. The more I know the more there is to know. There is no one right way in the hobby to do things. There are just different ways to the same goal. I love learning from hobbyist around the world. It's the hobby to me learning from others.

Indeed. Same here Reefwiser ..... there is always something new to learn regardless of how long we have been in the Hobby. That is the way I too feel.

As I said many roads lead to success ... and we can all learn from each other all the time.

I too try new approaches ... that is the way to go and to make progress

+1

Albert

• Like 1

Some of the new ways are in fact old ways. :lol: But we live and learn in this hobby. :)

Yes indeed Les .... I know as a lot of them were described in my original books :) :)

Albert

• Like 1