Cultivated Reef

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Well that must have been really nice Paul

And I am glad you did not have to adjust the salinity of the ocean :):)

It would have been a big problem deciding what brand to use on top of it :)

Albert

Yes, that may have been a problem but I have great faith in the people of Florida to keep up the salinity. The great thing about colder north diving is the lack of visibility. Yes I know that sounds counter productive for diving but in the Caymans, Bora Bora, the Florida Keys, Fiji and just about any other tropical place, you are not going to find anything, and every thing you see has been seen 500 times already, probably that day. Here in the north, our visibility stinks and is measured in inches, but whatever sunk there, is still there and in most cases, you will be the first one to see it. In my 150 or so dives in New York I came across many wrecks and very few of them are charted. I never found any gold, diamonds or winning lottery tickets, but I do have loads of bottles, dishes and memories from getting stuck in boilers or tangled up in lines. Of course I enjoy tropical diving as all of us divers do. But I don't dive to see the pretty fish, sharks or Supermodels. OK, I do enjoy Supermodels, but I can see fish in my tank and after you have seen 5,000 Moorish Idols, they all look the same. But to dive in water with 2 foot visibility and come across an uncharted wreck is really fascinating. We have a lot of history in New York with sailing ships from Europe and there are 2,000 charted wrecks. Probably another 2,000 that no one knows where or what they are. My dive partner found a 45 caliper pistol with a silencer off New Jersey. We have also found 50mm machine gun shells and many other cool things.
This was taken on the rocks of Execution Lighthouse recently in an episode of Some haunted history show. It was commissioned by George Washington so it has some history to it.
PaulSCUBA.jpg

ExecutionLighthouse002.jpg

The place is abandoned but my wife and I were invited there as someone wanted to restore the thing and make it into a B&B (ain't going to happen) and I gave my opinion because I am an electrician (and inventor)

ExecutionLighthouse019.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, that may have been a problem but I have great faith in the people of Florida to keep up the salinity. The great thing about colder north diving is the lack of visibility. Yes I know that sounds counter productive for diving but in the Caymans, Bora Bora, the Florida Keys, Fiji and just about any other tropical place, you are not going to find anything, and every thing you see has been seen 500 times already, probably that day. Here in the north, our visibility stinks and is measured in inches, but whatever sunk there, is still there and in most cases, you will be the first one to see it. In my 150 or so dives in New York I came across many wrecks and very few of them are charted. I never found any gold, diamonds or winning lottery tickets, but I do have loads of bottles, dishes and memories from getting stuck in boilers or tangled up in lines. Of course I enjoy tropical diving as all of us divers do. But I don't dive to see the pretty fish, sharks or Supermodels. OK, I do enjoy Supermodels, but I can see fish in my tank and after you have seen 5,000 Moorish Idols, they all look the same. But to dive in water with 2 foot visibility and come across an uncharted wreck is really fascinating. We have a lot of history in New York with sailing ships from Europe and there are 2,000 charted wrecks. Probably another 2,000 that no one knows where or what they are. My dive partner found a 45 caliper pistol with a silencer off New Jersey. We have also found 50mm machine gun shells and many other cool things.

This was taken on the rocks of Execution Lighthouse recently in an episode of Some haunted history show. It was commissioned by George Washington so it has some history to it.

PaulSCUBA.jpg

ExecutionLighthouse002.jpg

The place is abandoned but my wife and I were invited there as someone wanted to restore the thing and make it into a B&B (ain't going to happen) and I gave my opinion because I am an electrician (and inventor)

ExecutionLighthouse019.jpg

Very interesting observations and facts indeed Paul and thanks for sharing them based on your diving experiences and sightings

Amazing indeed what one can find in the area you describe and refer to ... never thought there were that many wrecks there

Albert

Wow. I thought *I* was lazy!

The ultimate lazy reef keeper I guess ... but it may be of use for large aquariums e.g. in Public ones

Albert

I'm so glad I heard YOU say your name before I tried to pronounce it in front of you... Saved me a whole bunch of embarrassment.

Al-bear Teal

:)

Yes that is indeed how it is pronounced

Albert