Top Shelf Aquatics

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Good question. I would think it would have to be tiered. 5-20, 20-75, 80-200, etc.

And we can leave details out. Things like "adequate lighting" would be just fine.

• Like 1

Good question. I would think it would have to be tiered. 5-20, 20-75, 80-200, etc.

And we can leave details out. Things like "adequate lighting" would be just fine.

Those are not good tiers ... a 5 and a 20 need different set ups, and and 20 and 75 the same and an 80 and a 200 definitely need totally different minimal set ups

And this would be a very very long set of questions to answers as I am sure you realize

You may want to consider buying the e-version of my book (448 pages) which will give you most of the answers you need

I do not mind helping but when the answers would become like nearly a whole book to give all the info then it is a bit beyond the scope of this forum I think

Albert

• Like 1

Those are not good tiers ... a 5 and a 20 need different set ups, and and 20 and 75 the same and an 80 and a 200 definitely need totally different minimal set ups

And this would be a very very long set of questions to answers as I am sure you realize

You may want to consider buying the e-version of my book (448 pages) which will give you most of the answers you need

I do not mind helping but when the answers would become like nearly a whole book to give all the info then it is a bit beyond the scope of this forum I think

Albert

Oh, don't write a book on here! I was just thinking this would make an interesting discussion.

So here, I'll start with my plan to get the discussion moving.

I'm a firm believer in light, skimming, rock, and flow.

My 70 I'm building without a sump. Big skimmer, 3 powerheads, and lots of light. I have a fluidized bed filter I can leverage for GFO if I need it and a canister filter for polishing on "show days" or targeted treatments. I'm not afraid of water changes, and I have an ATO and plan to dose 2 part if testing shows I'll need it. I ran a 20 for years like this in the 90's, and had a couple of customers who were similar, but used sumps. (I also had customers with the whole Lifeguard catalog in their stands. lol)

Being that my 70 is an odd shape, I'm stocking it like a 40. The footprint is 36"x15". The rest of the water will add buffering, swim room, and grow room. I may install some shelves at some point, depending on where my stocking leads.

Calc reactor all set up and running. Drip rate through it at 1 drop per second. CO2 bubble set at approx 3 per second. I have housed the fire extinguisher in a small cabinet courtesy of Homebase for less than £30. I also have my air pump for my algae scrubber housed in it and my thermostat set into the face of the door. Need to do some testing over the next couple of weeks to fine tune the calc. I have coral gravel and some mag chips. I may paint the cabinet black to match my tank cabinet.

20150206_121328_zps96dc9944.jpg

20150205_150813_zps9c7302ad.jpg

20150205_150510_zps3426ad91.jpg

• Like 1

I found some great reading regarding mangroves on your old site - athiel.com. I've found

http://www.athiel.com/lib10/mangrove9.htm

http://www.athiel.com/lib11/manstart.htm

as well as a study involving control tanks and nutrient readings from 1996/1997 as an rtf file

is there any more reading you've got on the subject, or access to the old documents? Most referenced links are now dead :(

• Like 1

Calc reactor all set up and running. Drip rate through it at 1 drop per second. CO2 bubble set at approx 3 per second. I have housed the fire extinguisher in a small cabinet courtesy of Homebase for less than £30. I also have my air pump for my algae scrubber housed in it and my thermostat set into the face of the door. Need to do some testing over the next couple of weeks to fine tune the calc. I have coral gravel and some mag chips. I may paint the cabinet black to match my tank cabinet.

20150206_121328_zps96dc9944.jpg

20150205_150813_zps9c7302ad.jpg

20150205_150510_zps3426ad91.jpg

Looking good Les ... that must have been some work to set it all up

I like it !!!

Albert

• Like 1

Looking good Les ... that must have been some work to set it all up

I like it !!!

Albert

Yeah but if a job is worth doing it's worth doing properly. Thanks Albert.

• Like 1

I found some great reading regarding mangroves on your old site - athiel.com. I've found

http://www.athiel.com/lib10/mangrove9.htm

http://www.athiel.com/lib11/manstart.htm

as well as a study involving control tanks and nutrient readings from 1996/1997 as an rtf file

is there any more reading you've got on the subject, or access to the old documents? Most referenced links are now dead :(

Unfortunately that site was taken over by another entity many many years ago and a lot of the links are old and have expired + the site has had some hick-ups for time to time and articles that should be available are given errors

I email the owner of the site but to no avail ... they do not update it and do not seem to correct the error that come up unfortunately.

Wish I could do something about it but they are not responsive I am afraid ... I sold that site in 1994 so quite some time ago.

Albert

• Like 1

Yeah but if a job is worth doing it's worth doing properly. Thanks Albert.

Yes indeed Les ... better to do it the right way the first time around rather than have to re-do it later :)

Albert

Unfortunately that site was taken over by another entity many many years ago and a lot of the links are old and have expired + the site has had some hick-ups for time to time and articles that should be available are given errors

I email the owner of the site but to no avail ... they do not update it and do not seem to correct the error that come up unfortunately.

Wish I could do something about it but they are not responsive I am afraid ... I sold that site in 1994 so quite some time ago.

Albert

Ah! No worries, it is rather tragic, I'm going to see what I can grab and save from there. It's all very informative, I strongly believe my mangrove is the main contributing factor for being able to keep so many SPS in less than 10 gallons successfully in terms of removing organic compounds as well as stabilising nutrients.

I recall reading that you'd grown a mangrove propagule to a 2.5 foot mini-tree, how long did that take?

• Like 1

Ah! No worries, it is rather tragic, I'm going to see what I can grab and save from there. It's all very informative, I strongly believe my mangrove is the main contributing factor for being able to keep so many SPS in less than 10 gallons successfully in terms of removing organic compounds as well as stabilising nutrients.

I recall reading that you'd grown a mangrove propagule to a 2.5 foot mini-tree, how long did that take?

Yes it is a pity they did not maintain the site but unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it now after all those years

And yes I did grow that propagule that large but it took well over 7 months for it to grow that much with adequate lighting 2/7 and regular cleaning with RO/DI water of the leaves to remove salt residues and keep them clean and healthy. It IS important to do so for good health and good growth. Alternatively use distilled water to clean the leaves

The light used was a CFT/CFL rated at 6500 K and delivering 23 watts

Albert

• Like 1

Albert, is there any actual lost data? Perhaps the wayback machine can recover it...

The problem with that site is that the current ISP would have to fix the errors and remove dead links which no longer exist and as I said they are not responsive to my requests.

I probably have the articles saved somewhere on one of the tons of ZIP drives I have but it would take forever to find those articles and I would have to buy a ZIP drive again on eBay if they are still available

Albert

Well, I have a zip drive I can send you if you ever decide to tackle that. I have a couple at work that were once used for backups.

That would be nice ... if I decide to try and find some of the docs back I will let you know ... I appreciate it

It would take a lot of time as I have tons of 100 Meg and 250 Meg drives and going through them is not going to be a sinecure but I will give it some thought

Thanks

Albert

Just got in from Key Largo early this morning. Our Closest friends bought a home there on the water so we spent much of the time on their boat. I love mangrove islands and they are one of my favorite dive and snorkel spots. I am always surprised at the lack of life in the sand in the tropics as compared to northern waters. If you lift a rock there, you usually find absolutely nothing, not even in a tide pool. But here in New York, even now covered in ice, if I lift a rock, there will be dozens of life forms. Worms, crabs, amphipods, stars, but in the tropics, nothing. That is one reason I put mud in my tank. For the life. I realize many of us view northern waters as polluted but they are not polluted, that is life and life needs something to eat. The reason all the great fisheries in the world are in northern waters is because of the nutrients.
2012-08-16%2004.53.17_zpsyavioe0x.jpg

2012-08-16%2004.23.40_zps6ifzh0yy.jpg

I even brought my swing arm hydrometer out on the sea to calibrate it. I found out that the sea has perfect salinity so we don't have to change it.

2012-08-16%2004.50.41_zpse1usbpdz.jpg

• Like 1