ReefCleaners.org

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

The king of filter media is back and mines just arrived from Germany. 4,5lr of each, 15mm and 25mm = 9ltr in total. Now to build a basket holder for it.

20150221_090305_zps8ff65b77.jpg

• Like 1

The king of filter media is back and mines just arrived from Germany. 4,5lr of each, 15mm and 25mm = 9ltr in total. Now to build a basket holder for it.

20150221_090305_zps8ff65b77.jpg

Great Les ... thanks for sharing the images and glad for you the Siporax finally arrived

Albert

• Like 1

There is a hell of a lot but I think I can accommodate most of it in 2 separate chambers. I am going to use 3 cheap small as in approx 6" x 3" clear plastic storage baskets in one small chamber then build a box out of egg crate to house a lot more. Here is a pic of what I am using with the 15mm siporax inside the 25mm.

20150221_115705_zps68d5a6c7.jpg

• Like 1

There is a hell of a lot but I think I can accommodate most of it in 2 separate chambers. I am going to use 3 cheap small as in approx 6" x 3" clear plastic storage baskets in one small chamber then build a box out of egg crate to house a lot more. Here is a pic of what I am using with the 15mm siporax inside the 25mm.

20150221_115705_zps68d5a6c7.jpg

Very nicely done Les and yes you have a lot of Siporax so distributing may indeed be the way to go

Keep us posted . Thanks

Albert

Would we all agree that the filter media above works just like bioballs

btw im not against them, all of us are adding extra surface area in one way or another. Im curious as to what the filter media does...outside of polishing water is it a benefit above live rock?

• Like 1

Would we all agree that the filter media above works just like bioballs

btw im not against them, all of us are adding extra surface area in one way or another. Im curious as to what the filter media does...outside of polishing water is it a benefit above live rock?

It has a lot of internal and external surface area for biological filtration and for nitrate and possibly also possibly phosphate and silicate removal

Needs a very good pre-filter before the water his the Siporax though just as Bioballs need to prevent them from getting loaded with detritus that eventually results in nitrate

We used to sell another type of Ball called SuperTechs that also had internal and external area to achieve the same results. I posted a picture of the red Supertech on the previous page actually so you can see what it looks like

Albert

• Like 1

Got my Siporax in the sump now and added some Dr Tim's one and only live nitrifying bacteria to boost it. I built an egg crate cage for the 25mm with 15mm inside them and as I had a lot of 15mm Siporax I topped it off with them any old way. I also have 3 clear plastic tidy caddies full of Siporax and fitted them just after the 100 micron filter sock (I may need to move up to 200 micron later) . I have to remove all physical filtration and stop my skimmer for 48 hours while the Dr.Tim's bacteria colonises the Siporax. I also fitted an inline ball valve on the pipe from the tank to the sump, just need to find one to put it on my return pipe from the pump. Here's a few pic's of it all.

20150224_141518_zps34edfa03.jpg

20150224_142315_zps59387e15.jpg

20150224_131055_zps6003711e.jpg

Middle chamber with skimmer removed. I took the opportunity to clean the skimmer while it was out.

20150224_131046_zps54a7eef3.jpg

• Like 1

Got my Siporax in the sump now and added some Dr Tim's one and only live nitrifying bacteria to boost it. I built an egg crate cage for the 25mm with 15mm inside them and as I had a lot of 15mm Siporax I topped it off with them any old way. I also have 3 clear plastic tidy caddies full of Siporax and fitted them just after the 100 micron filter sock (I may need to move up to 200 micron later) . I have to remove all physical filtration and stop my skimmer for 48 hours while the Dr.Tim's bacteria colonises the Siporax. I also fitted an inline ball valve on the pipe from the tank to the sump, just need to find one to put it on my return pipe from the pump. Here's a few pic's of it all.

20150224_141518_zps34edfa03.jpg

20150224_142315_zps59387e15.jpg

20150224_131055_zps6003711e.jpg

Middle chamber with skimmer removed. I took the opportunity to clean the skimmer while it was out.

20150224_131046_zps54a7eef3.jpg

Quite a set up Les ....

Looks good and should give you excellent bio filtration and also nitrate etc removal.

Keep us posted on how the filter works for you pls and how it affects the levels in the aquarium

Thanks

Albert

• Like 1

Just got a few more bits to do Albert. I picked up a Deltec FR509 reactor for just £30 about $46 off a fellow reefer the other day new they are £160 that's about $250. Then last night I bagged a Maxspect Gyre XF-150 for £150 about $231 brand new in it's box never been used as the guy bought it then decided to sell up. New here they are £250 about $390. At £100 off new price I couldn't say no. .

• Like 1

Just got a few more bits to do Albert. I picked up a Deltec FR509 reactor for just £30 about $46 off a fellow reefer the other day new they are £160 that's about $250. Then last night I bagged a Maxspect Gyre XF-150 for £150 about $231 brand new in it's box never been used as the guy bought it then decided to sell up. New here they are £250 about $390. At £100 off new price I couldn't say no. .

You sure got some great deals Les .... and yes that Gyre is expenive indeed (299.00 here from what I remember)

Good for you

That should all help with your tank set up

Albert

• Like 1

Am I the only one who watched this and was waiting for him to get zapped?

Whoops, I quoted the wrong message. :blink: Here we go...

So how is Ozone Generated .... ?

Albert

• Like 1

Whoops, I quoted the wrong message. :blink: Here we go...

Yes indeed the way he handles the devices and the electrical connections one wonders

Ablert