inTank Media Baskets

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Glad you enjoyed it and yes it is quite a video indeed. Taking such a video of your own tank and posting it would be super ... hopefully you can make one soon

Albert

Ill just have to get the battery charged up and the tripod out :) it will come out 720p with my Canon sx30is so it should be decent

Ill just have to get the battery charged up and the tripod out it will come out 720p with my Canon sx30is so it should be decent

That should do it I guess ... I have not tried it with my wife's one so I am not sure about how it all works exactly but I guess since you have the equipment you know how to make a nice one especially if you use the tripod to eliminate the shakiness.

Albert

That is amazing indeed .. 15 inches that is most unusual indeed for a small tank. I suspect it was a bristleworm though and not a Eunice but not having seen a picture of it I cannot be sure.

Eunice ones would come out at night and capture whatever they can including fish and devour other life forms in the tank so not sure it that happened but if it did then yes it could have been a Bobbit worm.

Any pictures?

Glad you got it out and got the tank back together ... good for you and yes I hope there are no other ones although keeping an eye on what goes on at night in the tank will tell you.

Definitely a Eunice, long pinchers on top of the head. I looked at quiet a few pictures on line for identification purposes before I decided to take drastic measures to get the worm out of my tank.

Thanks for the update.

Albert

Albert the ORP is now 348 in my algae trough and 330 in the tank itself. It is the same at the other end of the trough most likely because my ORP probe is not sensitive to check so similar readings.

So it seems in the morning as the lights come on, the ORP is 268. Then after 8 hours it reads 330.

I think the readings are wildly variable every day and through out the day as I feed and animals stir up the substrait. I generally don't pay much attention to the readings and am more interested in the swings through the day.

The "Oxidator is still running in the tank and my test one is still running in a small container.

Thats some worm. I am going to check out my Pico to see if it has any worms as large as that one.

IMG_2334.jpg

That is amazing indeed .. 15 inches that is most unusual indeed for a small tank. I suspect it was a bristleworm though and not a Eunice but not having seen a picture of it I cannot be sure.

Eunice ones would come out at night and capture whatever they can including fish and devour other life forms in the tank so not sure it that happened but if it did then yes it could have been a Bobbit worm.

Any pictures?

Glad you got it out and got the tank back together ... good for you and yes I hope there are no other ones although keeping an eye on what goes on at night in the tank will tell you.

Definitely a Eunice, long pinchers on top of the head. I looked at quiet a few pictures on line for identification purposes before I decided to take drastic measures to get the worm out of my tank.

Yes if it has that then it is indeed a Eunice worm and for it to be that long it must have been in the tank for a long time ... Amazing indeed. Did anything in your tank go missing that you were wondering about like where is my ... whatever disappeared.

Those Worms can do some serious damage ...

Albert

This is the worm, I did not get a close up of the head. Don't want to take it out of garbage for a head shot :)

Indeed quite a worm ... and no :-) don't get it out of the garbage ... if you saw it and ID'ed it then that is enough of a proof that it was not just a common bristle worm but he much dreaded Eunice Bobbit one.

Glad you caught it ... and hopefully there aren't any others. In fact if there were the large one may just have fed on them as that is known to happen.

Albert

Albert the ORP is now 348 in my algae trough and 330 in the tank itself. It is the same at the other end of the trough most likely because my ORP probe is not sensitive to check so similar readings.

So it seems in the morning as the lights come on, the ORP is 268. Then after 8 hours it reads 330.

I think the readings are wildly variable every day and through out the day as I feed and animals stir up the substrait. I generally don't pay much attention to the readings and am more interested in the swings through the day.

The "Oxidator is still running in the tank and my test one is still running in a small container.

Thats some worm. I am going to check out my Pico to see if it has any worms as large as that one.

I think those are good numbers but since we don't really know what they were before it is hard to compare but at least we know that it is going up when the unit is running.

And yes ORP fluctuates as you well know ... What I used to do is look at variances between days comparing numbers that were taken at the same time e.g. yesterday at 10:00 am and today at 10:00 am or some similar comparison and if the numbers were close enough to each other then that would tell me all is fine.

Of course currently I do not use it anymore since I do not have a controller and a probe ... but I use how the corals look as a gauge of how the tank is doing and the other day I posted pictures of the tank with and without the oxydator and then others after I put it back in.

I think that if you can now figure out how to get those real small bubbles out of the device you made then it will be functioning the way that the German ones do, but not sure how to accomplish that on the unit you have.

I think though that the proof is there that with more oxygen the ORP goes up and so indirectly that means that the water has to be of better quality or the ORP would not be that high.

BTW do you see any difference in how the skimmate looks ?

And on that worm .... imagine having those to feed ... you would only need 1 a week ! :-)

Albert

OK here is the message I have just got from Adrian re the export of Oxydators to the USA and Canada.

"Les
We have already had requests from the USA based on your endeavours. We will happily ship the units, but not the liquid and will accept PayPal payments. What I would ask is if people want one, or two that they contact us for shipping costs. We will only ship with trackable shipping, but the sensible way forward to reduce shipping costs is for groups to club together and bring units over in combined shipments. Shipping costs are based on weight and size, so to produce an exhaustive list of the potential combinations is not sensible, however two mini oxydators will cost around £11.50 to ship. The issue is the more ordered and shipped at the same time the price only goes up fractionally!
Kindest regards
Adrian"

I guess the shipping makes the price more than the cost of the Oxydators or nearly so. I can see where Adrian is coming from here so maybe if somebody ordered 2 mini Oxydators as an EG and then sends one on to somebody else on here who lives in the US that would be a much cheaper way to get them. Not sure how the models "D" and "A" would work out but I would guess with similar savings on shipping. If anybody wants the larger "D" and "A" models I could find out how much to ship perhaps best in twos and post Adrian's response on here.

Les.

Yes if it has that then it is indeed a Eunice worm and for it to be that long it must have been in the tank for a long time ... Amazing indeed. Did anything in your tank go missing that you were wondering about like where is my ... whatever disappeared.

Those Worms can do some serious damage ...

Albert

Nothing disappeared. I just happened to get a glimpse of him sticking his head out of the rock. Pinchers on top and white stripe just behind the head gave him away. Had no idea that it was that big. I have seen some pretty big marine worms in Maine and this one came close to size.

Corina

OK here is the message I have just got from Adrian re the export of Oxydators to the USA and Canada.

"Les

We have already had requests from the USA based on your endeavours. We will happily ship the units, but not the liquid and will accept PayPal payments. What I would ask is if people want one, or two that they contact us for shipping costs. We will only ship with trackable shipping, but the sensible way forward to reduce shipping costs is for groups to club together and bring units over in combined shipments. Shipping costs are based on weight and size, so to produce an exhaustive list of the potential combinations is not sensible, however two mini oxydators will cost around £11.50 to ship. The issue is the more ordered and shipped at the same time the price only goes up fractionally!

Kindest regards

Adrian"

I guess the shipping makes the price more than the cost of the Oxydators or nearly so. I can see where Adrian is coming from here so maybe if somebody ordered 2 mini Oxydators as an EG and then sends one on to somebody else on here who lives in the US that would be a much cheaper way to get them. Not sure how the models "D" and "A" would work out but I would guess with similar savings on shipping. If anybody wants the larger "D" and "A" models I could find out how much to ship perhaps best in twos and post Adrian's response on here.

Les.

Thanks Les for gathering all this information for those who may be interested here and yes of course grouping purchase will save on shipping cost per unit.

I appreciate all you do and so so well !

Albert

Not a problem Albert I have always helped people as best I can its in my nature and how I was brought up.

I have suggested to Adrian that I could co-ordinate any requests for orders so that he does not keep getting the same request for prices and shipping. So if people post their requests on here or via PM to me I can contact Adrian to get the prices for whatever they wish and in whatever numbers. If I get more than one similar request for the same number of units I can then simply post what I already have and know from Adrian. I will see what he replies.

Les.

Thanks Les for gathering all this information for those who may be interested here and yes of course grouping purchase will save on shipping cost per unit.

I appreciate all you do and so so well !

Albert

Nothing disappeared. I just happened to get a glimpse of him sticking his head out of the rock. Pinchers on top and white stripe just behind the head gave him away. Had no idea that it was that big. I have seen some pretty big marine worms in Maine and this one came close to size. Corina

Well that is good luck indeed as those worms can do some serious damage in a tank and they are very fast when they want to grab something to feed on.

Here is a video of one capturing a Scorpionfish and nearly getting more prey, but the Octopus manage to escape .. great video

http://vimeo.com/28280553

Albert

Not a problem Albert I have always helped people as best I can its in my nature and how I was brought up.

I have suggested to Adrian that I could co-ordinate any requests for orders so that he does not keep getting the same request for prices and shipping. So if people post their requests on here or via PM to me I can contact Adrian to get the prices for whatever they wish and in whatever numbers. If I get more than one similar request for the same number of units I can then simply post what I already have and know from Adrian. I will see what he replies.

Les.

Good idea indeed and thanks for volunteering to do .. so if anyone wants one or more then Les' suggestion is IMO a good one.

Albert

BTW do you see any difference in how the skimmate looks ?

Albert

The skimate is hard to tell because I have a 5 gallon bucket that collects it. I doubt I would see any difference in a 100 gallon tank with this smal amount of oxygen. I can easily make a much larger unit and I may when I inject it into the skimmer. I also want to build one for my worm tank.

BTW although I have a controller for my ozonator, I keep it cranked up as high as it will go and so is the controller. The ORP will never get that high in such an old and large tank.

It has always been run this way.

The skimate is hard to tell because I have a 5 gallon bucket that collects it. I doubt I would see any difference in a 100 gallon tank with this smal amount of oxygen. I can easily make a much larger unit and I may when I inject it into the skimmer. I also want to build one for my worm tank.

BTW although I have a controller for my ozonator, I keep it cranked up as high as it will go and so is the controller. The ORP will never get that high in such an old and large tank.

It has always been run this way.

Yes I guess that is very true ... the amount injected is probably not high enough as you say to make a significant difference but as you keep injecting it it may start to make a difference as the water quality improves.

And on the ozone ... I don't know what the output is supposed to be but again on a large tank with what you have in there you may not see much of a difference ... but when injecting more oxygen it may start to show. I would not go too fast though and raise the amount you add gradually so that you do not bring about too rapid a change ...

OTOH as you say in a tank that has been running for so long bringing about changes may take quite a bit of time.

Albert

Got some awesome corals today for a STEAL. I always get a great deal from this local and had very little room for anything but HAD to have these. So I wanted to share a pic of them on here as well since you enjoy the pictures so much. :happy:

Karl's Candlelight mini colony about 2-3" piece

67414_10151359763104029_442888682_n.jpg

This was tossed in, I am in love, anyone got an id?

265081_10151359763399029_1711577572_n.jp

543995_10151359763279029_160603677_n.jpg

FINALLY I AM FINISHED! Now I can let it grow and frag things out. Well, unless I see something else I HAVE to have. :lol::closedeyes:

FTS 1/21/13

424521_10151359763504029_231745179_n.jpg

Well that is good luck indeed as those worms can do some serious damage in a tank and they are very fast when they want to grab something to feed on.

Here is a video of one capturing a Scorpionfish and nearly getting more prey, but the Octopus manage to escape .. great video

http://vimeo.com/28280553'>http://vimeo.com/28280553

Albert

Great video. Scary worm. I am glad the octopus got away!

Got some awesome corals today for a STEAL. I always get a great deal from this local and had very little room for anything but HAD to have these. So I wanted to share a pic of them on here as well since you enjoy the pictures so much. :happy:

FINALLY I AM FINISHED! Now I can let it grow and frag things out. Well, unless I see something else I HAVE to have. :lol::closedeyes:

FTS 1/21/13

Gee ... I can see why you HAD to get those ! Looking great ... and yes that Nano is starting to be pretty loaded up ... hope the filtration can keep up with the bioload but given how everything looks I must assume it is indeed.

Great reef ! Great reeefkeeping !

Albert

Great video. Scary worm. I am glad the octopus got away!

Yes it is indeed ... and did you see the speed at which it grabs what it goes after.. of course that was a real Huge one !

Albert

Gee ... I can see why you HAD to get those ! Looking great ... and yes that Nano is starting to be pretty loaded up ... hope the filtration can keep up with the bioload but given how everything looks I must assume it is indeed.

Great reef ! Great reeefkeeping !

Albert

Meh if I need to I can run the Canister for a while but I have not had an issue with anything other then a bit of algae here and there like you can see in the pic of the candlelight. But nothing that's causing damage or overtaking the rocks.

If it ever does get that way I will make a DRASTIC change and fix the issue if there is one. Let me know if you have any idea on the blue one it's awesome! :wub:

FTS 1/21/13

Looking great indeed .. not entirely sure but it could be Acropora tortuosa ...

There is an ORA one like it that is green and blue but yours is brown and blue

Anyone else with an ID maybe ?

Albert

Meh if I need to I can run the Canister for a while but I have not had an issue with anything other then a bit of algae here and there like you can see in the pic of the candlelight. But nothing that's causing damage or overtaking the rocks.

If it ever does get that way I will make a DRASTIC change and fix the issue if there is one. Let me know if you have any idea on the blue one it's awesome! :wub:

Well I think you have your 2 Green Buddies who are keeping things under control so you may not have to worry .. and if they cannot handle it maybe a little more chem filtration or more CUC's can do the trick I guess.

I have to get an Emerald one myself actually as I do have that Caulerpa that is growing a little too much and hopefully I'll find a real good one that takes care of it or otherwise I will have to get the rocks out and get the Caulerpa off but that is not going to be easy.

In yours though everything looks just great !

Albert