inTank Media Baskets

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Skeptical Reefkeeping

© Richard Ross

Our hobby is constantly evolving, and the terms we use to communicate ideas to one another change and morph over time and these changes can lead to confusion.

For instance, the term refugium initially referred to an area of a system that small animals could use as a refuge from predation, but now refugium also refers to an area of the system used to grow algae for nutrient export or simply a small tank plumbed into a larger system.

The ideas can overlap, but they don't necessarily, so when someone asks for information on setting up a 'fuge, it becomes important to know what the term means to them in order to help them with information relevant to their needs.

Link : http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/reefs-magazine/93781-skeptical-reefkeeping-part-4-what-does-even-mean.html

Albert

My Aqua Medic KS1000 kalk stirrer has just arrived the delivery guy said he couldn't get his van up my avenue yesterday due to the snow. Plugged it in switched it on and the spinner rotates nice an d slowly with no noise and it looks in great condition.

I bought it off a fellow reefer for just £45 inc shipping. Looks newish and something of a bargain me thinks as they retail for around £175 here in the UK. I am just waiting on a peri pump I bought off eBay to arrive to set it up and running. I was going to take a few pic's and post them before I put it in but Photobucket is playing up this morning. I will see what its like later on.

Les.

Tegastes and Parategastes : Parasitic Copepods, Black Bugs and Red Bugs

In depth review of the above two and a number of others in an article by Dana Riddle with plenty of images of the bugs infecting Acropora and other corals.

© Dana Riddle, Greg HIller, Steve Ruddy

Black Bugs

blackbugs.png

Red Bug

redbug.png

Link : http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/3/corals

Albert

My Aqua Medic KS1000 kalk stirrer has just arrived the delivery guy said he couldn't get his van up my avenue yesterday due to the snow. Plugged it in switched it on and the spinner rotates nice an d slowly with no noise and it looks in great condition.

I bought it off a fellow reefer for just £45 inc shipping. Looks newish and something of a bargain me thinks as they retail for around £175 here in the UK. I am just waiting on a peri pump I bought off eBay to arrive to set it up and running. I was going to take a few pic's and post them before I put it in but Photobucket is playing up this morning. I will see what its like later on.

Les.

Nice buy for that price Les ... and I guess what you got is this one.

aquamedicks1000.png

Compared to the retail you sure got a bargain ... and yes do post some pics when you have it all installed including the peristaltic pump. Nice addition to your tank and an easy way to dispense the KW. For those not familiar with it you may need to post an explanation I think of how it will be set up and at what rate you are going to dispense the KW. Thanks

Albert

Well pump has also arrived but it does not work. The motor spins but the pump head dose not move. Grrrrr. I have emailed the seller and wait to see his response. I was all ready to set it up but it looks like I will have to wait a little longer.

So what is it and how does it work.

The way most stirrers work is that they are are best hooked up to a ATU (Auto Top Up) device but can be hooked up with the pump on a timer to deliver kalk, I will hook mine up to my ATU. You put around a cup full of calcium hydroxide in the stirrer on top of which sits the stirrers motor. The stirrer is then filled with RO water and the mix allowed to settle until most of the stirrers water is clear with the kalk resting on the bottom of the stirrer.

The stirrers motors 12v transformer is plugged into the mains supply and the stirrer arm located at the bottom of the stirrer rotates slowing stirring the kalk mix. Airline sized tubing is connected from the ATU pump to the stirrer. a 12mm tube is connected to the outlet of the stirrer and the other end put where you wish the kalk to be distributed.

When the tank requests top up water from the top up reservoir via the ATU water is pumped from the top up reservoir to the stirrer at the bottom. The water in the stirrer rises and overflows into the sump or directly into the tank slowly. If desired the top up pump can be put on a timer to only dispense kalk at night when the PH tends to fall. Many people like to run their kalk stirrer at night so as to reduces PH swings with kalk having a high PH.

The pump from the ATU should just dispense enough water to allow clear kalk water exit the stirrer and not the milky water much lower down in the stirrer. This is easy to accomplish if you have an adjustable peri pump or you could use a small power head with a restriction on the airline supply the RO water to the stirrer. Kalk will not only stabilise PH and even raise it in the aquarium but will add calcium and alkalinity.

Some kalk stirrers work in a slightly different manner such has julian Sprungs Three Little Fishes one but more work in a similar fashion to the above.

I guess that's it in a nutshell.

Les.

Nice buy for that price Les ... and I guess what you got is this one.

aquamedicks1000.png

Compared to the retail you sure got a bargain ... and yes do post some pics when you have it all installed including the peristaltic pump. Nice addition to your tank and an easy way to dispense the KW. For those not familiar with it you may need to post an explanation I think of how it will be set up and at what rate you are going to dispense the KW. Thanks

Albert

The brine shrimp feeder I am very proud of and it works on the same principal of another patented feeder I built years ago.

I add live beby brine shrimp to the funnel at the top of the water. They traveldown to the screened feeder on the gravel. The screen on the feeder is about the size of baby brine shrimp so most of the shrimphave a little problem swimming through it. As they are working their way through, the waiting mandarins, pipefish and copperband suck them up. Most of the shrimp stay in the feeder long enough to get eaten and don't just get lost in the tank. The mandarins perch on it all day. I bhuilt it because my little female mandarin was obtained very skinny and I wanted to fatten her up. Now I don't need the feeder any more but they like it so much I left it in there and use it every day.

Feedingstation002.jpg

Feedingstation003.jpg

Maybe this video is better

th_MVI_1982.jpg

Hello Albert & everyone.

This is such a great invention! I was hoping to build one of Paul's baby brine shrimp feeders. What kind of screen is used here?

Thanks!

My Oxydators are setup and running. It is amazing how clear the water is! I have never seen such clarity in my systems. I have used zeovit coral snow and was impressed, but this is better. As for the coral the LPS are very happy.

R.

jedimasterben

Well pump has also arrived but it does not work. The motor spins but the pump head dose not move. Grrrrr. I have emailed the seller and wait to see his response. I was all ready to set it up but it looks like I will have to wait a little longer.

The way most stirrers work is that they are are best hooked up to a ATU (Auto Top Up) device but can be hooked up with the pump on a timer to deliver kalk, I will hook mine up to my ATU. You put around a cup full of calcium hydroxide in the stirrer on top of which sits the stirrers motor. The stirrer is then filled with RO water and the mix allowed to settle until most of the stirrers water is clear with the kalk resting on the bottom of the stirrer.

The stirrers motors 12v transformer is plugged into the mains supply and the stirrer arm located at the bottom of the stirrer rotates slowing stirring the kalk mix. Airline sized tubing is connected from the ATU pump to the stirrer. a 12mm tube is connected to the outlet of the stirrer and the other end put where you wish the kalk to be distributed.

When the tank requests top up water from the top up reservoir via the ATU water is pumped from the top up reservoir to the stirrer at the bottom. The water in the stirrer rises and overflows into the sump or directly into the tank slowly. If desired the top up pump can be put on a timer to only dispense kalk at night when the PH tends to fall. Many people like to run their kalk stirrer at night so as to reduces PH swings with kalk having a high PH.

The pump from the ATU should just dispense enough water to allow clear kalk water exit the stirrer and not the milky water much lower down in the stirrer. This is easy to accomplish if you have an adjustable peri pump or you could use a small power head with a restriction on the airline supply the RO water to the stirrer. Kalk will not only stabilise PH and even raise it in the aquarium but will add calcium and alkalinity.

Some kalk stirrers work in a slightly different manner such has julian Sprungs Three Little Fishes one but more work in a similar fashion to the above.

Les.

Have you tried soaking the pump in vinegar? Maybe has some calcium buildup on it.

The pump is brand new never seen water.I just got a reply from the seller here it is.

"Les

this is very odd - the pump was tested and working before I sent it out. Possibly the tubing was very cold from being outside in post, and so the motor/gearbox did not cope with the strain? I have spare motor/gearbox here and some spare pump heads, because its also possible the pump head has sheared when the flat of the gearbox shaft fits the pump head.

If you send this back to me I will check it out and replace - or offer a refund - whatever you prefer

regards

Fred Parrett"

All rather strange and I guess I will have to return it.

Les.

Have you tried soaking the pump in vinegar? Maybe has some calcium buildup on it.

My Oxydators are setup and running. It is amazing how clear the water is! I have never seen such clarity in my systems. I have used zeovit coral snow and was impressed, but this is better. As for the coral the LPS are very happy. R.

Glad to hear it Rick,

Do keep us posted on how your corals react over the coming hours and days.

Les.

Les.

Thanks Les for the explanation on how it works ... we used to sell them at TAT so I am familiar with them but did not want to hi-jack your post by explaining it ... :-)

As you know i use KW but I add it by gravity feed which of course means that I have to prepare the KW and then let it settle, and then draw off the clear liquid and put that in the dispensing container. That works well for me but of course my tank is a lot smaller so I do not need IMO this type of set-up for now at least.

Thanks

Albert

Hello Albert & everyone. ---- The Brine Shrimp Feeder -----

This is such a great invention! I was hoping to build one of Paul's baby brine shrimp feeders. What kind of screen is used here?

Thanks!

Yes it sure is indeed eitallent and I am sure Paul will get back to you on what screen he is using ... glad you like it ! It sure is a great way to make sure that the fish who want the brine shrimp do get them ... in fact it seems like it's their "meeting place" :-)

Albert

My Oxydators are setup and running. It is amazing how clear the water is! I have never seen such clarity in my systems. I have used zeovit coral snow and was impressed, but this is better. As for the coral the LPS are very happy. R.

Very glad to read it Rick and that is what I was expecting as that is what has been happening in my tank also. In addition the corals look better and you will notice far less need to clean your tank's panes for those tiny algae that grow on the glass or acrylic.

I guess what Les has been saying for a long time is indeed what you are experiencing.

Albert

The pump is brand new never seen water.I just got a reply from the seller here it is.

"Les

this is very odd - the pump was tested and working before I sent it out. Possibly the tubing was very cold from being outside in post, and so the motor/gearbox did not cope with the strain? I have spare motor/gearbox here and some spare pump heads, because its also possible the pump head has sheared when the flat of the gearbox shaft fits the pump head.

If you send this back to me I will check it out and replace - or offer a refund - whatever you prefer

regards

All rather strange and I guess I will have to return it

Les.

Well that's a bummer ... not sure why the pump would not work due to shipping conditions and I guess as you say it may be best to return it indeed.

Sorry to read that it is not working ...

Albert

Thanks Albert,

I will rig it up to the pump that I have which came with my ATU but its is far too powerful however I will put a tap on it to adjust the flow from the pump to the stirrer. Not sure how ell this will work as it will put a lot of back pressure on the pump which is designed as a 12v caravan water supply pump which needs the flow and pressure. We shall see however as the caravan pumps are much cheaper than peri pumps anyway.

I have a lot of hard corals in my 60 gallon system so dispensing kalk is desirable. I have a TMC 600 calcium reactor which is a bit over kill really so if the kalk stirrer can provide enough calcium then I will just stick with that and sell on my calcium reactor which cost far more than the Aqua Medic kalk stirrer as it comes with a CO2 bottle and PH controller.

Les.

Thanks Les for the explanation on how it works ... we used to sell them at TAT so I am familiar with them but did not want to hi-jack your post by explaining it ... :-)

As you know i use KW but I add it by gravity feed which of course means that I have to prepare the KW and then let it settle, and then draw off the clear liquid and put that in the dispensing container. That works well for me but of course my tank is a lot smaller so I do not need IMO this type of set-up for now at least.

Thanks

Albert

Thanks Albert,

I will rig it up to the pump that I have which came with my ATU but its is far too powerful however I will put a tap on it to adjust the flow from the pump to the stirrer. Not sure how ell this will work as it will put a lot of back pressure on the pump which is designed as a 12v caravan water supply pump which needs the flow and pressure. We shall see however as the caravan pumps are much cheaper than peri pumps anyway.

I have a lot of hard corals in my 60 gallon system so dispensing kalk is desirable. I have a TMC 600 calcium reactor which is a bit over kill really so if the kalk stirrer can provide enough calcium then I will just stick with that and sell on my calcium reactor which cost far more than the Aqua Medic kalk stirrer as it comes with a CO2 bottle and PH controller.

Les.

Well I am not familiar with those pumps but you are of course so I guess when you try it out you will know whether that does it for you. If you create a by-pass on the output with a valve then IMO there should not be too much back pressure on the pump so that may work indeed.

And on the other equipment... yes with all of those components that is an expensive set of devices and should bring some good price for you as there must be hobbyists out there who are looking for the combination of it all and are willing to pay a fair price for it.

I guess you do have a lot of extra equipment :-)

Albert

Yes it sure is indeed eitallent and I am sure Paul will get back to you on what screen he is using ... glad you like it ! It sure is a great way to make sure that the fish who want the brine shrimp do get them ... in fact it seems like it's their "meeting place" :-)

Albert

Albert

The screen was an old net. I don't know how to determine hole size but it should limit the ability of baby brine shrimp from getting through but not stop them entirely. Hatch a shrimp then get out your ruller and measure the thing. The holes should be that size.

Or take a net and pour baby brine shrimp through it, if at least some of them remain in the net, that is good. So the net should hold some shrimp while letting most go through. Yes it is a tough one so buy a cheap net with a fine screen and try it, thats what I did

The screen was an old net. I don't know how to determine hole size but it should limit the ability of baby brine shrimp from getting through but not stop them entirely. Hatch a shrimp then get out your ruller and measure the thing. The holes should be that size.

Or take a net and pour baby brine shrimp through it, if at least some of them remain in the net, that is good. So the net should hold some shrimp while letting most go through. Yes it is a tough one so buy a cheap net with a fine screen and try it, thats what I did

Where do you suggest getting it from? My wife says women's dress fabric shops sell fine mesh but I have not seen it so I do not know how fine it really is and whether it is untreated and safe.

Albert