Top Shelf Aquatics

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Yes please do .. a close-up in focus would be best of course at it would allow others and myself to see what it actually is and hopefully be able to give you an ID.

Does it have short tentacles ?

Albert

Yes it does have short like sps tenacles. Definately a hard coral and encrusting. I know my corals and fish but not sure what this is. It came as a hitchhiker on a piece of LR. I have had the piece of rock for 2 years but just now noticed it.

Yes it does have short like sps tenacles. Definately a hard coral and encrusting. I know my corals and fish but not sure what this is. It came as a hitchhiker on a piece of LR. I have had the piece of rock for 2 years but just now noticed it.

Difficult to tell by the pics, but my vote is Hydnophora

R.

Edited by rick12
Let me look up what the link is as I do not know it by heart and you did not post it

Albert

Well you found 1 of your fish caught in the pump .. it must have gone in there and gotten caught and been killed by the propeller but as I said on your thread that only accounts for 1 of the missing fish .. you need to continue removing rocks and see what else you find

And keep us posted here too Martin

Albert

My guess without being able to be sure was Hydnophora as I posted in a reply to a message from Paul and I see that Rick12 is of the same opinion but seeing a picture will definitely help in making sure of the ID.

Thanks

Albert

Difficult to tell by the pics, but vote is Hydnophora

R.

Thanks Rick that is what I thought as well but as I wrote in the other post a picture (close up) is what we really need as I am sure you agree with

Albert

Hey Albert. Here are pics of the corals that were with the cactus. The first was of one before I removed it from the rock the other is of the second coral after I re-bonded it. You can also see some of the snails that came on the rock in the back ground of the first pic.

post-55105-1351442769_thumb.jpg

Edited by dling
Well you found 1 of your fish caught in the pump .. it must have gone in there and gotten caught and been killed by the propeller but as I said on your thread that only accounts for 1 of the missing fish .. you need to continue removing rocks and see what else you find

And keep us posted here too Martin

Albert

My guess without being able to be sure was Hydnophora as I posted in a reply to a message from Paul and I see that Rick12 is of the same opinion but seeing a picture will definitely help in making sure of the ID.

Thanks

Albert

Thanks Rick that is what I thought as well but as I wrote in the other post a picture (close up) is what we really need as I am sure you agree with

Albert

I'm still gonna do the search but u would think if it had something to do with params all the fish would be showing signs of distress right?

Ok I am going to finally use your thread LoL. Any idea what this coral is growing on my live rock at the bottom of my leather?It is green and looks soft but hard to the touch.

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

Edit: OOPS. Never mind! I see that it has already been possibly ID'd as being Hydnophora. :blush: Oh well, at least you guys get to see my beautiful Blue Sympodium. ;)

Does it look like this? This is Blue/Green Sympodium in my tank.

IMAG1212_zps74fc4e2f.jpg

The pic is magnified but the coral is encrusting non-encrusting (sorry for the typo) and tiny. Your picture is blurry but I see some similarity in form.

This link is to Reef Builders web site that discusse Sympodium and its different colors morphs.

This is one of their pictures:

sympodium-encrusting-soft-coral-2.jpg

Edited by eitallent
I'm still gonna do the search but u would think if it had something to do with params all the fish would be showing signs of distress right?

Yes that would be so but that does not seem to be the case here ... you need to take those rocks out Martin and continue your search ...

You seem to be avoiding wanting to do so but at this point that is IMO the only way you are going to figure out what is going on.

Also fish do not swim into MP10's because of the water quality ... something may have chased them and they accidentally swam into the pump in an attempt to escape and got killed in the process by the pump.

Get those rocks out !

Albert

Hey Albert. Here are pics of the corals that were with the cactus. The first was of one before I removed it from the rock the other is of the second coral after I re-bonded it. You can also see some of the snails that came on the rock in the back ground of the first pic.

Thanks David ... and yes I do see the small snails and the ones that came on the rock with the corals are now in the tank here but I have no clue where they are as I cannot see them anywhere. Guess they are somewhere on the rocks ...

The corals still seem stressed and the other Cabbage coral I had is teed off as well ... I glued the little piece of Cactus on a small rock and that one is doing fine with tentacles extended. The larger Cactus one is starting to come around.

The Large Cabbage is not yet, it is sort of closed up (shrunk) and took on a deeper purple color but that is what the first one I got did for a few days before it started looking like in the pictures that I posted on previous days.

I am sure all will be ok ... the ones that are not doing well right now just need some more time to adapt and get into shape .. hopefully by tomorrow they'll be OK and I'll post some pictures then.

The little Kenya trees seem to be doing fine.

Thanks again for the donation. I really appreciate it and thank you.

Albert

So much going on in this thread, I am confused. But I love it.

I think I am ready for the hurricain, I have gas, I cleaned the storm drains and my gutters, filled both cars with gas and filled 15 gallons of water jugs.

The fish tank will have to fare for itself.

And indeed a lot of how fish behave and such info can really only be found out when one dives and observes them, and not just once but many a time. And I know you did that.

To learn the most about fish you have to dive but not as a tourist in a resort. I go to the tropics with my own equipment and hire a guide. Tell him what I am looking for and go with him there. Then leave me alone while I lay on the bottom near the animal until I run out of air. That is how I learn about fish.

Resort diving is like flying over Manhattan in a 747 and trying to figure out what is showing on Broadway. :D

Also fish do not swim into MP10's because of the water quality

I agree with Albert, a fish would never swim into a MP10 (whatever that is) no matter what the water quality is, even if the fish was swimming in baby oil it would not do that, fish do not swim into things.

That fish was either dead or almost dead and got sucked into the pump. (or whatever a MP10 is)

Edited by Paul.b
Yes that would be so but that does not seem to be the case here ... you need to take those rocks out Martin and continue your search ...

You seem to be avoiding wanting to do so but at this point that is IMO the only way you are going to figure out what is going on.

Also fish do not swim into MP10's because of the water quality ... something may have chased them and they accidentally swam into the pump in an attempt to escape and got killed in the process by the pump.

Get those rocks out !

Albert

Don't worry! Sorry if I sounded like I was avoiding taking the rocks out...this is not the case. Just trying to come up with different hypothesizes about what is going on. Right now the number one hypothesis is a crab. The rocks r coming out today.

Edit: OOPS. Never mind! I see that it has already been possibly ID'd as being Hydnophora. :blush: Oh well, at least you guys get to see my beautiful Blue Sympodium. ;)

Does it look like this? This is Blue/Green Sympodium in my tank.

The pic is magnified but the coral is encrusting non-encrusting (sorry for the typo) and tiny. Your picture is blurry but I see some similarity in form.

Thanks eitallent but I think that what we need is a picture that is in focus and close up so we can really see what it might be and I did post a message asking for a clearer picture.

Could be a number of things indeed but with the posted pictures it is hard to see !

Albert

Don't worry! Sorry if I sounded like I was avoiding taking the rocks out...this is not the case. Just trying to come up with different hypothesizes about what is going on. Right now the number one hypothesis is a crab. The rocks r coming out today.

Oh I am not saying that you are not going to do it ... but you gotta start ... the longer you wait the longer this goes on and the more messages get posted suggesting what you need to do ...

So start taking the rocks out Martin and then let us know what you found.

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

I think I am ready for the hurricain, I have gas, I cleaned the storm drains and my gutters, filled both cars with gas and filled 15 gallons of water jugs.

To learn the most about fish you have to dive but not as a tourist in a resort. I go to the tropics with my own equipment and hire a guide. Tell him what I am looking for and go with him there. Then leave me alone while I lay on the bottom near the animal until I run out of air. That is how I learn about fish.

Resort diving is like flying over Manhattan in a 747 and trying to figure out what is showing on Broadway. :D

I agree with Albert, a fish would never swim into a MP10 (whatever that is) no matter what the water quality is, even if the fish was swimming in baby oil it would not do that, fish do not swim into things.

That fish was either dead or almost dead and got sucked into the pump. (or whatever a MP10 is)

Yes indeed Paul lately a lot has been going on indeed and some it is thanks to you ... and I love it too !

Nice way of putting it about diving ... and flying over Manhattan ... I like it. And as I said it is not going to happen in one or two dives ... probably takes a whole lot of them where you can observe and observe more and learn as you say.

BTW the MP10 is a pump and as we both stated fish that are healthy do not swim into them but may do so if they are chased and confused ... and then get killed by the impeller or propeller (the MP10 is made by Vortech and is one of those newer ones that goes for $$$$$)

What Martin needs to do is what many of us have been suggesting ... get those rocks out ... a few weeks ago he found the molt of the claws of a large Stone crab ... and if that thing is still in this tank, and knocking over his rocks as he stated, then no wonder his fish are disappearing, but he keeps saying he as not seen the Crab and that is why we keep telling him that he needs to remove the rocks one by one till he determines what it is (crab or not) that is killing off his fish and ruining his tank scape

Albert

What are they predicting about the storm for where you are Paul ? Landfall tomorrow morning ?

The news here says it's been downgraded from Hurricane to Tropical Storm but apparently it is merging with some other storm .. not sure as the news is not too clear about it ..

Wish you the best with all of it and I am sure that you are ready as you say

Albert

Albert . I think the larger of the incrusted corals may be some type of granulosa coral. ;)

Do you mean the one that is on the rock with the Cactus coral where there seems to be two growths of encrusting coral but because they are still stressed it is a bit hard to tell right now what is what except of course for the large growth that is definitely the Cactus.

It is what is next to it and at the end of the same rock I guess that you are referring to?

BTW the Kenya Tree 1 (as there is a smaller second one) is looking real good and expanded and stretched out.

Just fed it with one of my syringes ..

Albert

They are talking about maybe 12 to 20' storm surge, if that happens most of Manhattan will be under water along with all the power generating stations, switching stations and transformers.

Subways are already below sea level for the most part. Grand Central Station has about 7 levels down as I have been to about 5 of them.

They closed the Long Island Rail Road tomorrow which is the largest comutter rail road in the world with over 2,000,000 people taking it twice every day. The subways will also be shut down as will the busses.

I live outside the city limits and should not be affected at all by storm surge but my power will most likely go down as it is all above ground on Long Island and we are covered in trees. The power goes out when they even predict a storm.

All the power stations are connected together and are just about maxed out as it is so when one goes down, the rest sometimes follow.

My generator with the gas I have could last about 4 days if I run it intermittingly. I also have 2 SCUBA tanks that I could connect to an air stone.

I think we will be fine but I have friends with houses on the water that I am sure will not fare as well.

Hopefully it will blow over and I can put back my Halloween decorations.

I am not much of a worrier about anything. It is what it is. B)

They are talking about maybe 12 to 20' storm surge, if that happens most of Manhattan will be under water along with all the power generating stations, switching stations and transformers.

Subways are already below sea level for the most part. Grand Central Station has about 7 levels down as I have been to about 5 of them.

They closed the Long Island Rail Road tomorrow which is the largest comutter rail road in the world with over 2,000,000 people taking it twice every day. The subways will also be shut down as will the busses.

I live outside the city limits and should not be affected at all by storm surge but my power will most likely go down as it is all above ground on Long Island and we are covered in trees. The power goes out when they even predict a storm.

All the power stations are connected together and are just about maxed out as it is so when one goes down, the rest sometimes follow.

My generator with the gas I have could last about 4 days if I run it intermittingly. I also have 2 SCUBA tanks that I could connect to an air stone.

I think we will be fine but I have friends with houses on the water that I am sure will not fare as well.

Hopefully it will blow over and I can put back my Halloween decorations.

I am not much of a worrier about anything. It is what it is. B)

Sounds pretty nasty and yes I understand the issue with power in your area. I used to live in CT and work in NY did go through quite a few severe power outages. In fact I lived in Norwalk when that big storm came through in the 80's (can't remember the name) but it was bad even in Norwalk, in fact a large tree came down right next to my house and when we were in that part of the Hurricane where everything suddenly gets "still" it is very very eery indeed.

Hopefully the surge won't be as bad as they say as I can't imagine what that would do to the whole of Manhattan and Long Island and all the boroughs of NY ... Man if that happens it will take days and days for them to fix it al land get all that water out of the subways and other areas.

I wish you the best ... and hopefully you will not be affected that badly and it seems like you are well prepared so keep safe and don't go diving :-) ....

Yes I know that you do not worry and that it is what it is, but still ... this could be a one of a kind storm if the predictions hold ... and I hope they are wrong as the weather forecasters so often are ...

Albert

Albert . I think the larger of the incrusted corals may be some type of granulosa coral. ;)

Here are some pictures I took David :

Rock 1 : the larger one with the Cactus at the bottom and that other growth right next to it and then at the top of the rock

rockk1.png

Rock 2 : You can see the Kenya Tree and the littler one and then that other growth that is sort of blanked out by the light. Focus is not all that good as when I enlarged the view on my iPhone it was difficult to get it back in the right focus but the K tree is visible and the smaller one is right above it, so in the pic they look like one

rockk2.png

The Pavona that had broken off that I glued down (strings are from it but there are far fewer now than there were early this morning

rockk3.png

Albert

Not so Common Cardinal Fish

Cardinals Not Named Pujols, Womack, or Edmonds - The Genus Cheilodipterus

© Henry C. Schultz III and reefkeeping.com

cardinall.png

Cardinalfish are divided into two families. I will not discuss Epigonidae, as members of that family are unlikely to be available in the marine trade.

The Lined Cardinalfish, however, are in one of 27 genera containing over 250 species which comprise Apogonidae, the second Cardinalfish family.

Furthermore, the Lined Cardinals are classified in the subfamily Apogoninae.

Link : http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/hcs3/index.php

Albert