Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

I should have said aluminum oxide specifically :P. GFO can be, but it's not easy to do, especially for the bulk of hobbyists. Much easier IMO to just toss in a new bag. ;)

Have you done it? It's pretty easy to do.

So Close, You Can Almost Touch Them: The Fish Of MACNA 2012

© by MARK CALLAHAN

Link to the Video : http://tinyurl.com/97kmpk6

Albert

The detail in the video of these gorgeous fish make it worth watching in the 720p HD. My favorite was the sweet, cow-eyed Blacker Ice Clown whose markings remind me of my husband's dairy cows. :)

The detail in the video of these gorgeous fish make it worth watching in the 720p HD. My favorite was the sweet, cow-eyed Blacker Ice Clown whose markings remind me of my husband's dairy cows. :)

Thanks and yes I thought it was a great video indeed ..

I love the comparison to your husband's dairy cows :-) Pics of them ?

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
Oh dear not good at all. My thoughts are with you guys and I hope things reside real soon. Hope all those evacuated from the hospital will be fine along with all citizens of course. We are getting regular news feeds here in the UK. I guess all the preparations that could be put in place within the time limits have been and all measures taken. I guess its now a case of sit tight and ride it out until it blows over. Good luck to all and may your god go with you.

Les.

Well Les, I guess you read my posts on the situation here in the North East, and I am sure you surmised that it is BAD indeed.

I suspect that the news channels in the UK have been reporting on it as well but probably not in as much detail as here.

The NE is basically devastated in many locations and there is wide flooding, damage and houses destroyed, a number burned down, and in NY the situation is near catastrophic from what I understand so far.

I am awaiting for a press conference by the Mayor of NY that was supposed to start about an hour ago but it has not yet.

I have not heard anything yet from hobbyists in those areas except for some brief messages, including the one posted by Paul.

Thanks for your thoughts for all of those who are affected.

Albert

An Article on How NOT to frag Zoanthids

© By Shane Graber and Advanced Aquarist

zoattt.png

Fragging soft coral is easy. Slice it with a razor blade and glue it to a piece of live rock rubble or frag plug.

However, this is not so with zoanthids and palythoa, where nitrile gloves (and possibly razor-proof gloves) and goggles must be worn while working with them.

Link to article and Video : http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/how-n...-frag-zoanthids

Albert

The Philips Hue Wi-Fi LED Lighting System

© By Leonard Ho and Advanced Aquarist Magazine/Blog

hueled.png

There are many LED replacements for screw-in incandescent bulbs on the market;

The new Philips Hue takes it a few steps further.

The Hue is fully dimmable, color adjustable, and WiFi controllable using iOS or Android devices, making it an interesting option for aquarists.

Link with text and Video : http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/phili...-wifi-led-bulbs

Albert

jedimasterben
Have you done it? It's pretty easy to do.

I have not - from what I read the rinsing is rather tedious without the use of a reactor to do it in.

I have not - from what I read the rinsing is rather tedious without the use of a reactor to do it in.

Easier indeed to just replace it and not have to mess with yet another set of chemicals IMO

Albert

Soft Corals are Underrated

By Leonard Ho and Advanced Aquarist

For the past two decades, SPS and LPS have stolen the spotlight with reefkeepers as the corals of choice.

Stoney coral reef aquariums dominate the modern scene, so it's easy to forget just how alluring Soft Coral Exhibits can be.

This Dutch aquarium reminds us not to underestimate the beauty of soft corals.

See the Video Here : http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/soft-...-are-underrated

Albert

Disease: Pink Line Syndrome in Corals (PLS)

Currently we only know of two species of coral which are suceptible to this disease and they are Acanthastrea and Blastomussa wellsii.

It has further been proposed that the cyanobacterium causes a tissue degenerative process triggered by increase levels of CO2 produced by the cyanobacterium.

Link to the article : http://aquariumcoraldiseases.weebly.com/pi...e-syndrome.html

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

Archer Fish Hunt Insects with Water Jets 6 times stronger than

their Muscular Power, So How Do They Do That?

© Shane Graber and Advanced Aquarist

archerfish.png

Archer Fish live in Fresh, Brackish and even Sea/Saltwater, and although not considered fish that we normally buy for our Reefs, this is an interesting article to read.

The family is small, consisting of seven species in the genus Toxotes; which typically inhabit brackish waters of estuaries and mangroves, but can also be found in the open ocean as well as far upstream in fresh water.

They can be found from India to the Philippines, Australia, and Polynesia.

Link : ... http://tinyurl.com/8wg5dcn

And a Link to a Video that shows the "action" :

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

Fish and Frogs living out of Water - BBC - A Video

© BBCWorldwide

fishhh.png

Watch the fascinating life of the Lung Fish and other enduarnace animals as they survive in almost impossibly arid conditions for extraordinary lengths of time.

Amazing natural wildlife video from BBC Worldwide.

Link :

Albert

Just a few Pictures of my Tank Taken Today

Cabbage Coral is getting back to normal but the new one is still adjusting and not yet opening and is staying that dark purple color ...

left1030.png

pavona1030.png

ricorfla1030.png

yuma1030.png

Albert

Hi Albert all very sad indeed and feel for all those affected by this mother of all storms. We are getting lots of news at regular intervals and indeed it is shocking to see the devastation caused. Lets hope it is all over soon.

On another note I put a deposit on a new car (well secondhand) and hope to pick it up on Saturday. I did find some time to work on my new tank and have built a carrier to take the LED unit which I will transfer over to it from my nano when ready. I will post pic's later or maybe tomorrow.

Good luck to all those affected by the hurricane.

Les.

Well Les, I guess you read my posts on the situation here in the North East, and I am sure you surmised that it is BAD indeed.

I suspect that the news channels in the UK have been reporting on it as well but probably not in as much detail as here.

The NE is basically devastated in many locations and there is wide flooding, damage and houses destroyed, a number burned down, and in NY the situation is near catastrophic from what I understand so far.

I am awaiting for a press conference by the Mayor of NY that was supposed to start about an hour ago but it has not yet.

I have not heard anything yet from hobbyists in those areas except for some brief messages, including the one posted by Paul.

Thanks for your thoughts for all of those who are affected.

Albert

Hi Albert all very sad indeed and feel for all those affected by this mother of all storms. We are getting lots of news at regular intervals and indeed it is shocking to see the devastation caused. Lets hope it is all over soon.

On another note I put a deposit on a new car (well secondhand) and hope to pick it up on Saturday. I did find some time to work on my new tank and have built a carrier to take the LED unit which I will transfer over to it from my nano when ready. I will post pic's later or maybe tomorrow.

Les.

Thanks Les for the kind words for all those who are affected by the Storm of all Storms, or as you say the Mother of All Storms, and indeed it is. I am sure you get regular updates but here on one of the channels I can see all the updates 24 hours a day if I wanted to, and it is just a total disaster the cost of which is now already estimated at 40 Billion dollars in damages and I am sure that that number will go up.

It is just unbelievable what Nature can do !

Glad you got yourself a new car ... pics when you have it ok !

And good too that you started working on the new tank .. can't wait to see how it will turn out but I am sure it will look great !

Thanks for the updates

Albert

Coral Pathogens Identified for White Syndrome (WS) Epizootics in the Indo-Pacific

© Meir Sussman, Bette L. Willis, Steven Victor, David G. Bourne & plosone

A Technical Article (full text) for those who like research articles and findings

White Syndrome (WS), a general term for scleractinian coral diseases with acute signs of advancing tissue lesions often resulting in total colony mortality, has been reported from numerous locations throughout the Indo-Pacific, constituting a growing threat to coral reef ecosystems.

Link : http://tinyurl.com/93h8x9v

Albert

Les.

And the amount of damage caused by Sandy keeps rising !

The latest estimate is more than 50 Billion dollars, with a big B, and that may not even include "loss of business" and "loss of productivity", "loss of wages for hourly workers', and other business related losses ...

Incredible ... and who knows how much money hobbyists who are without power or were without it for a long time lost !

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

On a positive note I have finished my LED units cradle. I say finished however I may yet clad it with black contiboard to match the light surround. I have fitted 4 small bogies so that the whole unit can be pushed back and forth when carrying out maintenance on the tank without having to remove it most of the time.

The bogies not only allow the whole unit to be pushed back and forth they also serve to raise the whole unit a further 1.1/4" so the whole unit will be 6.1/2" off the waters surface. I hope this will be enough to give me the light spread I am looking for over the nano which is 5" off the waters surface when on it. If need be I can raise it further but I hope I won't have to do that. Here are a few pic's and as I say I may well clad it to make a surround around the cradle.

DIYLEDunitcarrier006.jpg

DIYLEDunitcarrier010.jpg

DIYLEDunitcarrier007.jpg

DIYLEDunitcarrier008.jpg

On a positive note I have finished my LED units cradle. I say finished however I may yet clad it with black contiboard to match the light surround. I have fitted 4 small bogies so that the whole unit can be pushed back and forth when carrying out maintenance on the tank without having to remove it most of the time.

The bogies not only allow the whole unit to be pushed back and forth they also serve to raise the whole unit a further 1.1/4" so the whole unit will be 6.1/2" off the waters surface. I hope this will be enough to give me the light spread I am looking for over the nano which is 5" off the waters surface when on it. If need be I can raise it further but I hope I won't have to do that. Here are a few pic's and as I say I may well clad it to make a surround around the cradle.

Looking good Les ... real good and yes if you do as you say it will look even better and uniform.

I like how you built in the bogies so you can move it back and forth for easy access to the inside of the tank, rather than having to take it down you can now just push it back and forth I guess.

Nice work ....

You are slowly getting there ... and you worked late :-) I see based on the time this came in ...

Albert

The "Little" Yuma today ....

Enlarged through iPhone ... the little white dot is on the glass ... need to clean the front tomorrow.

yumabab1030.png

Albert

Grow It or Scrape It, Coralline Algae as a Nuisance or Aquarium Decor?

© Brandon Klaus & aquanerd

coralgae.png

Coralline algae, aptly referred as the “purple stuff”, is often a welcomed sight to many aquarium keepers.

This encrusting algae is usually seen as a beautiful and very desirable inhabitant of our saltwater aquariums, and it often gives hobbyists a little insight about a particular aquarium’s maturity and overall health.

From a purely aesthetic standpoint, the algae is typically bright purple, though it does come in green and other hues, and it brings a completely different color to the rather drab looking rocks

Link : http://blog.aquanerd.com/2012/03/coralline.../comment-page-1

Albert