SaltCritters.com

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Hurricane Sandy looks like it will make landfall early Tuesday morning so I've rounded up some additional tips viewers have suggested for how to be prepared.

© Mark Callahan

Even if you aren't in the path of the Hurricane, these tips are vitally important for your tank to be prepared for an emergency.

Link : http://tinyurl.com/8hr9e5t

Albert

Ok I am going to finally use your thread LoL. Any idea what this coral is growing on my live rock at the bottom of my leather?It is green and looks soft but hard to the touch.

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

Ok I am going to finally use your thread LoL. Any idea what this coral is growing on my live rock at the bottom of my leather?It is green and looks soft but hard to the touch.

The pictures are quite blurry and I cannot make out any detail so it is hard to see what it might be. Can you try and take a shot that shows the detail of the coral in focus?

If it does not have tentacles since you say that it is hard to the touch, it may be green coralline algae but that is a guess based on the description you gave as I cannot see any detail of what you are referring to I am afraid.

Pls post some more detailed pictures and I am sure we can figure it out.

Albert

Photos for the Album of Guilhem Acro (II)

© Guilhem Acro who seems to specialize in Acropora and other SPS cores based on what I can see on his FB page in his albums and there are over 1200 pictures there.

He also shows quite a few photos of soft corals and some fish but not that many ... worth taking a look at if you are interested in seeing more that what I post here.

ga6.png

ga7.png

ga8.png

ga9.png

ga10.png

Link: http://www.facebook.com/aqua.crew.7/photos_stream

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

An on a Lighter Note and not Reef Related Picture, I saw this on another Thread and like

it and though I would share it here as well

lemmings.jpg

I guess that "Follow the Leader" may not always be the right decision to make, as illustrated in the graphic above :-)

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

Lawnman I also have a piece of that same coral growing on a rock and I have no idea where it came from.

Mine is about an inch across and has 1/8th inch tentacles. It is encrusting the rock.

Kind of nice though.

As I was working on the Tank yesterday to add the corals donated by David (dling),

I had to remove some rocks as I posted and one of them was a rather large one

which had what I believed to be soft sponges growing on it since I originally got this Totoka rock.

As the rock was removed, I took at picture of that "sponge", or so I thought, and it could still be, and here is what it looks like :

albertsponge.png

Although I may look like it "soft" to the touch, it is actually a calcareous growth, very hard, feeling rough to the touch like "pumice" (volcanic glass), white in most areas, but off-color in other areas where it may have picked up some detritus that floated by and stuck to it.

I broke off a small piece to get a closer look at it, and will post a picture of that smaller piece later this morning after I get a good shot of it with my iPhone.

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
Lawnman I also have a piece of that same coral growing on a rock and I have no idea where it came from.

Mine is about an inch across and has 1/8th inch tentacles. It is encrusting the rock.

Kind of nice though.

Paul, can you actually see what Lawnman is referring to as on my Mac I cannot see the detail, in fact I cannot even make out the Leather corals he is referring to, so hopefully he can post some sharper pictures so we can figure it out.

I think he indicated that it had no tentacles so what he has may be different but only an in-focus pic will tell us I guess.

If you have a picture of the one you have pls post one so we can compare what he has versus what you have. Thanks Paul and welcome early to the Forum ...

I am going to log off for about 30 minutes as I need to take care of a few things ...

Albert

A few more pictures of that "sponge like" growth I removed from

a rock I took out of the Tank yesterday

sspa.png

sspb.png

sspc.png

Not sure that based on these pics that an ID can be found .. but it is a calcareous branched growth and starts off real white but darkens as it seems to pick up small detritus particles that float around in the water and that it either captures or that just get stuck to it.

Has anyone something similar and if you do where you able to ID it ?

Albert

Anthias Imposters! - The Genus Pseudanthias, Part I

© Henry C. Schultz III and reefkeeping.com

anthiasdispar.png

Sometime while pursuing an attractive aquarium fish every hobbyist will, no doubt, come face to face with an Anthias.

But, it most likely is not an Anthias. Chances are good that it's a fake Anthias. Oh, it will be a real fish, all right. These fish swim with fins, breathe through gills, the whole nine yards of fishy things that fish do.

But they remain fake. The good part is that these live, fake Anthias can make great ornamental aquarium fish.

Link : http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/hcs3/index.php

Albert

Anthias Imposters! - The Genus Pseudanthias, Part II - And the Franzia Bullies

anthiasss.png

In varying degrees, all Pseudanthias species can be considered attractive fish.

Although some species are certainly more striking than others, it's safe to say that not a single species would be netted from your aquarium for having dull coloration.

Unfortunately, not all species are meant to be housed in home aquariums in the first place. With a genus as diverse as Pseudanthias,

I'm often disappointed by the number of people who continue to generalize these species.

Link : http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/hcs3/index.php

Albert

When I say all kinds of fish I mean not the least of which is all the Lionfish that have turned up and about which quite a few articles where written, in fact I published a link to one of them on this thread a week or two ago.

In case you are interested in them here is a link to the posts about them (I used the search feature)

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...ite=%2Blionfish

Albert

Yes I saw this article when you originally posted it. It is a shame that 'pets' like piranha, lion-fish, snakes, etc are released into places where they are not native. It was bad enough with native species; to get stung by a skate (which happened to my uncle on one of the Keys and suffered in agony for hours until he reached the ER) or step on a sea urchin. Now we have to worry about lion fish too. :o

Yes I saw this article when you originally posted it. It is a shame that 'pets' like piranha, lion-fish, snakes, etc are released into places where they are not native. It was bad enough with native species; to get stung by a skate (which happened to my uncle on one of the Keys and suffered in agony for hours until he reached the ER) or step on a sea urchin. Now we have to worry about lion fish too. :o

It is unfortunately the marine version of what happened in the freshwater hobby when hobbyist starting releasing snakeheads in rivers, streams and lakes, and because they multiply so fast, they caused lots of damage and I am not even sure if the problem has gotten under control.

Snakehead article : http://www.csa.com/discoveryguides/snakehead/overview.php

The Lionfish seems to have subsided as some fish that eat them were released I believe (and I posted an article about it), but the infestation is not over yet as far as I know but is diminishing based on that article.

It is indeed unfortunate that people buy pets of all kinds including fish and snakes etc. and then when they get too large they release them without any thought of what doing so may bring about.

It's a shame that it happens but I don't think the practice will stop mostly due to the ignorance about the possible consequences of those who do it.

Sorry to read about what your Uncle had to go through.

Albert

Identity Crisis – What’s My Name? Paracanthurus hepatus - Hippo Tang

hippo.png

Do you call them Hepatus tangs? Some probably prefer Palette tang or even Blue Palette tang.

Others will not recognize the name until you mention Flagtail tang or Hippo tang. Did someone yell out Wedge-tail tang? I was first introduced to them as Pacific Blue tangs, and thus that is what I most often call them.

Of course, to compound this confusion, you can insert 'surgeonfish' or even 'doctorfish' for 'tang' in any of these examples.

Link : http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/hcs3/index.php

Albert

Paul, can you actually see what Lawnman is referring to

the first two pictures are very blurry so it is hard to tell. Mine looks like an encrusting coral as it is not growing up from the rock but is probably 1/4" or less thick and is brownish green. It looks like a miniature shag carpet with 1/16" tentacles tightly packed. I don't know where it came from as I don't see anything else like it in my tank.

It is not in a good place to get a picture because I would have to take it from above as it is not in the front.

the first two pictures are very blurry so it is hard to tell. Mine looks like an encrusting coral as it is not growing up from the rock but is probably 1/4" or less thick and is brownish green. It looks like a miniature shag carpet with 1/16" tentacles tightly packed. I don't know where it came from as I don't see anything else like it in my tank.

It is not in a good place to get a picture because I would have to take it from above as it is not in the front.

Yes they are very blurry and it is hard to make out what is actually in the pictures. Guess we'll have to wait for a better pic, a close up and in focus

Based on the description it is hard to tell what it may be but then we often get growths in our tanks that are hard to identify ..

Could be a Horn coral but unless we can see a picture it is just a guess ... but that one is encrusting and does have short tentacles. Does it look like it inflates sometimes? Hydnophora would do that but as I said I cannot be sure that that is what you and Lawman have.

Albert

The Hippo tang is one of my favorite fish and they live forever. As a matter of fact, I usually end up either giving them away or euthanising them after many years due to HLLE which they are very suseptable to them in my tank anyway. After a few years, they start to get it. It doesn't happen to them in everybody's tank, but in mine it does, but only after years. I have kept a few of them over ten years and except for that, they live forever and are seemingly healthy otherwise.

I have my own theories on this and also why it is referred to as an ich magnet.

I also disagree with one sentence in that link you posted above about why they are skitish.

Hippo tangs and all tangs are not solidary fish. They are always in a school and they are all over the reef.

Their schools are not as large as some tang schools but a school none the less.

All fish have a 6th sence that they "feel" through their lateral line (that faint line you see across all true fish) and through this nerve system they know exactly how far from their school mate they are. They also know precisely how to dive into a coral head without getting a scratch. Try jamming your hand in a tight coral hole and see what it looks like when you remove it.

Fish also never swim into the glass, not even at night and they can't see the glass because they are looking right at it as we are looking at them through the glass. You can not catch one of these fish by chasing it with a net. Even though their eyes face forward and they can't see behind them, they know exactly where that net is. That system is always active and a tang wants to "feel" another tang of the same species next to it and they can even tell that the next fish is a hippo tang and not a naso tang. They want to swim in a school as that is what they were "designed" to do. That is why they are nervous and that is what makes them so suseptable to ich.

Just swim with them for a while and you will understand

I got old pictures of everything.

TankNov09005.jpg

Edited by Paul.b
The Hippo tang is one of my favorite fish and they live forever. As a matter of fact, I usually end up either giving them away or euthanising them after many years due to HLLE which they are very suseptable to them in my tank anyway. After a few years, they start to get it. It doesn't happen to them in everybody's tank, but in mine it does, but only after years. I have kept a few of them over ten years and except for that, they live forever and are seemingly healthy otherwise.

I have my own theories on this and also why it is referred to as an ich magnet.

I also disagree with one sentence in that link you posted above about why they are skitish.

Hippo tangs and all tangs are not solidary fish. They are always in a school and they are all over the reef.

Their schools are not as large as some tang schools but a school none the less.

All fish have a 6th sence that they "feel" through their lateral line (that faint line you see across all true fish) and through this nerve system they know exactly how far from their school mate they are. They also know precisely how to dive into a coral head without getting a scratch. Try jamming your hand in a tight coral hole and see what it looks like when you remove it.

Fish also never swim into the glass, not even at night and they can't see the glass because they are looking right at it as we are looking at them through the glass. You can not catch one of these fish by chasing it with a net. Even though their eyes face forward and they can't see behind them, they know exactly where that net is. That system is always active and a tang wants to "feel" another tang of the same species next to it and they can even tell that the next fish is a hippo tang and not a naso tang. They want to swim in a school as that is what they were "designed" to do. That is why they are nervous and that is what makes them so suseptable to ich.

Just swim with them for a while and you will understand

I got old pictures of everything.

Yes I agree that they are great fish and funny ones too and do strange things like lying down on the substrate making hobbyists think they are dead, when of course they are not ... they are also one of the fish that seems to change color the most at night when everything is dark ... and because they are peaceful they make good tank specimens and as you say several together is better than one by itself, of course that requires a larger type tank.

I think that there have been many theories on why they are ich/crypto prone, and also HLLE prone, but I don't think anyone has really figured it out for sure. Diet could be a reason if it is not varied enough, lack of some nutrients, stray voltage in the tank, over use of activated carbon, etc... but I have not seen anything that is conclusive, and as you say it does not happen to all of them, so it may have to do with how they were captured and where ..., which is another theory that has been put forth but not proven.

Interesting info on their behavior ... thanks for posting that Paul ... I am sure that that is new for a lot of readers as that kind of info is usually not included on descriptions or profile info and care info that one can find in books or elsewhere. And indeed a lot of how fish behave and such info can really only be found out when one dives and observes them, and not just once but many a time. And I know you did that.

Nice pic too ...

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

"You May Call Me 'Yasha,' King of the Stonogobiops"

© Henry C. Schultz III

yashaa.png

A great addition to any Reef Tank !

Back in 1998 a new species of goby started to appear in the marine aquarium trade with some regularity. It was much different than any goby seen previously, so naturally it garnered attention.

Names such as White ray goby or Yasha Hashe goby began to circulate amongst the internet hobbyists and wholesalers alike.

In either instance, everyone has been quick to also label it the name of the genus, Stonogobiops. For many years this was the most definitive name we could offer outside of the common names our local retailers provided.

However, this all changed in 2001 when a pair of scientists awarded the newest member of Stonogobiops with a valid species name.(Yoshino and Shimada, 2001).

Link: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/hcs3/index.php

Albert

The pictures are quite blurry and I cannot make out any detail so it is hard to see what it might be. Can you try and take a shot that shows the detail of the coral in focus?

If it does not have tentacles since you say that it is hard to the touch, it may be green coralline algae but that is a guess based on the description you gave as I cannot see any detail of what you are referring to I am afraid.

Pls post some more detailed pictures and I am sure we can figure it out.

Albert

I will try to get some better pictures today. I am 100% it is not coralline algae.

I will try to get some better pictures today. I am 100% it is not coralline algae.

Yes please do .. a close-up in focus would be best of course at it would allow others and myself to see what it actually is and hopefully be able to give you an ID.

Does it have short tentacles ?

Albert