Cultivated Reef

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Do-It-Yourself Magnesium Supplements for the Reef Aquarium

© Randy Holmes-Farley and reefkeeping online magazine

maggg.png

Magnesium is an important ion in reef aquaria. Like calcium and alkalinity, it can be depleted by various means if appropriate measures are not taken to maintain it.

In order to prevent its depletion, or to correct a deficit when it occurs, magnesium supplements are often used.

These supplements can, however, be fairly expensive, and this article describes how to make your own magnesium supplements out of inexpensive materials available to the public.

Link : http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php

Albert

So what is TDS Really ?

© Randy Holmes-Farley and reefkeeping magazine online

tds.png

The use of "TDS" (total dissolved solids) meters for analyzing the purity of fresh water has become widespread in recent years.

Many aquarists use them to determine if tap water purification systems such as reverse osmosis (RO) or reverse osmosis/deionization (RO/DI) are working properly, or if deionizing resins need to be replaced.

Link : http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-04/rhf/feature/index.php

Albert

Sea Urchins: .... A Chemical Perspective

© Randy Holmes-Farley, reefkeeping magazine and the owners of the Photos in the Article

seaurchinn.png

Most of my reef chemistry articles deal with issues with clear practical importance to aquarists, and that tendency will certainly continue in the future.

These articles have included such topics as how to solve calcium and alkalinity problems and making and using additives.

This article, however, is the first in a series that is intended to provide a chemical perspective on events that occur in reef aquaria. They may not cause aquarists to change their aquarium husbandry techniques, but they may allow a greater appreciation for the chemistry lying just under the surface of a reef aquarium.

Link : http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-08/rhf/index.php

AND an article by © Ron L. Shimek, Ph. D.

Sea Urchins, A Testy Subject

Link: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/rs/

Albert

Reef Aquaria with Low Soluble Metals - An Important Water Chemistry Consideration

© Randy Holmes-Farley and reefkeeping magazine

In a recent article, Ron Shimek showed that two salt mixes and natural seawater were more conducive to the development of sea urchin embryos than were two other salt mixes and the water from two reef aquaria using one of them.

In that article, Shimek suggested that elevated metal levels, such as copper, could have been responsible. The two salt mixes with poor development are reported to have higher levels of a number of potentially toxic metals than the other two salt mixes or natural seawater.

The link to Ron's article is: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/rs/feature/index.php and I have posted it before.

Link to Randy's Article : http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-04/rhf/feature/index.php

Albert

Kfmmartin1996

I looked at your long post on your thread about the issues you are having and I need to think about this for a while, as the issue you are having does not seem to be that simple and giving you an answer is going to take me reading that post several times and try to understand what is actually going on.

When I respond here, I'll add a copy of what you posted so readers on this thread know what the issues are as well.

So more later.

Albert

Thanks Albert. I really just don't know what is going on...just upset cuz I think I lost my wrasse, and I don't want to lose anyone else!

Hey Albert I am having more problems...what is with these darn fish??? The question is kinda extremely long so I will just post a link rather than filling up an entire page of you thread haha. Would love to hear your opinion on the matter either on this thread or the one in the link.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=313496

Btw last time u recommended I set up a QT...

Idk if u still recommend this but FYI when I went to set it up the heater and filter were broken...so...I need to get new ones. It could be a few days...

So...something odd is happening with the fish in my BC29...maybe a bit of background can help u guys figure out what the heck is going on! I have had the 29 gal set up for about 15 months. Got my first fish (an occy clown) right after the cycle. 5 months later, I added a Tailspot Blenny. Blenny and clownfish became best friends. 3 months after that, added a cherub angelfish. Clown hated him from the beginning. Tried separating them, reintroducing, breeder nets, and a whole bunch of other things to no avail. Clown would always attack and the cherub would always just swim away. I then decided to add a purple Firefish to see if this would help for any reason. He was very active for a few days, then decided to go live in a back corner behind a rock. I now only see him a couple times a week when feeding the tank. A few months ago, if u remember, I found 2 giant molted crab claws and freaked out. We later decided (N-R and I) that they must have just come dislodged from the rock after nearly a year, and that there was no monster crab in the tank...The attacking of the cherub seemed to subside a bit for a while. About a week ago it picked up again. The cherub is now getting little marks on his sides from diving into the rocks (he got these before, they heal pretty quick). About the same time I notied my Blenny getting skinnier and skinnier, but acting fine. 5 days ago I added a Hoeven's Wrasse, intending it to be my 5th and last fish in the tank. It ate from day one, and at 3" is the biggest fish in my tank. For the first 3 days it swam up front and center, no one bothered it, and he seemed quite comfortable. Yesterday when I went to look at the tank he was no where to be seen. I have a top so I know he didn't jump. All of yesterday he was missing. Today I went to look at the tank and he is still gone. Also, my Blenny is still very skinny, and when I looked at te tank he looked very pale and was breathing rapidly...he was clearly freaked. When I fed the tank, he didn't even eat (he is normally a pig). I am concerned and scared cuz idk what is going on. That wrasse was $50 and I don't want to lose my Blenny! All params are good...I just am very confused and don't want to lose more fish...

Reading through this description, and what went on before this, which is posted on your thread (link above), it seems that you are having issues with territorial behavior and, unless I am mistaken, the issues are due to the Cherub which appears to be chasing your other fish around, to the point where he is doing it so aggressively that he dashes in and out of areas he can get through the rocks, even too small ones, as that may explain the scrapes he has now had for two times.

Of course with all the chasing that is going on, and a Clown that is rather aggressive too, your other fish are IMO not getting enough food, and as a result they are looking famished and are getting sunken bellies, and tend to hide most of the time, which is apparently what they are doing.

Since I cannot see your tank I am not sure that this is what is going on, but from your description, it more than likely is IMO.

What I would do is remove that Cherub, and then watch and hopefully that will bring things back to normal in the tank.

Also if the Clown becomes, or remains aggressive after you remove the Cherub, then he may have to go as well so that your less active and more shy fish get a chance to survive, and get access to food and eat. You may want to try and trade them at your LFS for more peaceful fish that get along with the others that are in the tank right now.

I don't think you need a QT tank since you do not mention that any of the fish are showing signs of disease, so it is probably the territorial behavior by the Cherub, and the Clown, that are causing all your problems IMO.

Let me know whether this makes sense, and whether you think that those two fish are actually the cause of all your issues and troubles and the problems with your more peaceful fish that are now hiding most of the time.

Hopefully the Hoeven Wrasse is fine and is in hiding too. Odd that it would do that since you say it is the largest fish in the tank, but those Cherubs can be quite aggressive even towards larger fish.

You are aware I hope that they are carnivores, and eat shrimp and small crustaceans, Feather Dusters and other Tube Worms and need to be fed live saltwater feeder shrimp to entice them to eat and then slowly try to get them to eat non-live ones.

Also it is usually recommend as a fish for a tank that is 50 or more gallons and typically they are rather shy, so if the Cherub or the Clown is aggressing it, the Wrasse will go into hiding for sure.

Hoeven Wrasse are not considered reef-safe, especially if you have any of what I mentioned they eat in your tank. It is a gorgeous fish but your tank may be too small and the fact that the Cherub and possibly the Clown are chasing it around is why you don't see it.

IMO with the chasing that is going on the fish that are now looking in sad shape are not getting food, and in addition hide to avoid being chased around.

Hopefully this helps but if not let me know what your own thought are.

Albert

Good morning Albert,

I apolgize because this has already been asked before but each tank is different and i cant seem to find a good answer. I have a 27 gallon cube tank in my room that im looking to turn into a reef tank; however, i cant seem to find a good skimmer for it. I need something that can hang on the back because i dont have room for a sump. Any suggestions?

I thought prizm skimmers looked nice, but people say their junk

People recommend the reef oct bh1000 but thats too big for my system

If possible id like the pump on the outside of the tank.

I appreciate the help and Im sorry for asking the same question every one does.

Good morning Albert,

I apolgize because this has already been asked before but each tank is different and i cant seem to find a good answer. I have a 27 gallon cube tank in my room that im looking to turn into a reef tank; however, i cant seem to find a good skimmer for it. I need something that can hang on the back because i dont have room for a sump. Any suggestions?

I thought prizm skimmers looked nice, but people say their junk

People recommend the reef oct bh1000 but thats too big for my system

If possible id like the pump on the outside of the tank.

I appreciate the help and Im sorry for asking the same question every one does.

Actually I use a Red Sea Prism Pro and it works fine for me on a 20 gallon tank, and yes the pump is on the outside and it is one with the newer impellers that create a lot more bubbles and finer ones.

I inserted the carbon cartridge that comes with it and that allows me to run it at a higher level of skimming and the if any air bubbles are produced, the carbon module catches them and they do not get in the tank.

I have no issues with it at all.

Another choice is one made by Instant Ocean that I recently saw in operation and that seemed to do a pretty good job. The Sea Clone may be another choice.

Both the Prizm and the Sea Clone are Venturi Operated.

Hope this helps .. if not let me know what other questions you have but as I said my Prizm does a good job for me so I would not write if off based on what you may have read. The key is to setting it up correctly and using that carbon insert IMO as that is what makes it work just fine for me

FWIW of course.

Here is a link that shows many sites you can go to to look at other HOB skimmers :

http://tinyurl.com/9v8n8mg

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
Thanks Albert. I really just don't know what is going on...just upset cuz I think I lost my wrasse, and I don't want to lose anyone else!

Well hopefully you did not loose the Wrasse and I replied to your original message in greater detail and hope that what I wrote makes sense to you.

Let me know what your thoughts are and what you are going to do based on what I wrote.

Thanks

Albert

Reconsidering the Moorish Idol's Suitability for Our Aquariums

© By Kenneth Wingerter and Advanced Aquarist

moorishidol.png

Because of the difficulty in keeping this gorgeous Fish for the long term, recommendations are being made that it may not be suitable for our aquariums and that husbandry and care are difficult to say the least, and that many of the specimens that are being offered for sale may already be "distressed" fish that will not survive and are condemned to die before they are even in your aquarium.

Link to the Article and a lot of information and photos :

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/10/fish

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

Hello guys, I just joined here today as I kind of know Albert Thiel from way back.

Way Way back and I think we wrote a few times to each other long before E Mail or computers were invented.

Or at least when they were made out of wood, that is what they make trees out of.

I have his book and still refer to it although much of it goes over my head.

Paul Baldassano invented the Majano Wand and holds a patent for it but similar products have surfaced in the past years like the Aiptasia Wand and others

This is true but we have our lawyers working on the situation and I am sure this will be an ongoing thing. I don't view this as a problem, I view it as a compliment. If you build something and no one wants to steal it, there may be a reason.

I noticed those threadfin cardinals above and figured I would post as I have five of them in my reef now. Nice fish, always stay in the front, eat anything, and are five bucks. If you feed them live food as I do, they take on a nice irridescence. They will never look like a Marine Betta but for five bucks, what do you expect.

Very hardy and don't seem to want to jump out.

I don't remkember ever seeing these fish while I was diving, maybe I was not looking hard enough.

I will try to post a picture.

OK I got a video, if it works here

th_MVI_2129.jpg

Hello guys, I just joined here today as I kind of know Albert Thiel from way back.

Way Way back and I think we wrote a few times to each other long before E Mail or computers were invented.

Or at least when they were made out of wood, that is what they make trees out of.

I have his book and still refer to it although much of it goes over my head.

This is true but we have our lawyers working on the situation and I am sure this will be an ongoing thing. I don't view this as a problem, I view it as a compliment. If you build something and no one wants to steal it, there may be a reason.

I noticed those threadfin cardinals above and figured I would post as I have five of them in my reef now. Nice fish, always stay in the front, eat anything, and are five bucks. If you feed them live food as I do, they take on a nice irridescence. They will never look like a Marine Betta but for five bucks, what do you expect.

Very hardy and don't seem to want to jump out.

I don't remkember ever seeing these fish while I was diving, maybe I was not looking hard enough.

I will try to post a picture.

OK I got a video, if it works here

Thanks Paul and I am glad you finally managed to get on Nano-Reef after all the sign-in issue we PM about on another forum :-)

You are right about the copying : it is a form of compliment in a way as it means that others also think that it is a good idea and I am sure that will the legal help you have you will get things sorted out.

But I know you "invented" a number of other let's call it contraptions for our aquariums and you may wish to give us some information about those when you have time.

Those Cardinals are indeed nice fish especially when there are a lot of them and as you say they sort of get iridescent and are one of the nicer Cardinals that is around especially for the price.

I like the Banggai, and wish I could get one of those that has the black end as opposed to the Silver one but I have not seen them around in shops yet.

Panda Banggai

banggaipanda.png

Of course even the regular ones are quite nice. Wish I had more than one in my own tank. I was at my PCP yesterday and he has a 600 gallon tank in the waiting room (brand new tank as he had a smaller one before) and he had at least 25 of them in that tank. I took some pics of the tank and after I transfer them from my phone to my laptop, I'll post them a little later.

Last but not least: welcome ... and thanks for the kind words on the book and our corresponding many many years ago (guess that gives away our age) ...

Albert

While I am here I would also like to say something about moorish Idols that I see above.

I have kept quite a few of them and spent time with them in Bora Bora where I learned a few things that "may" help with their husbandry.

In almost all of them that I dove with they were in mated pairs. The only thing I saw them eat was a lime green sticky sponge that is common in the reefs that they inhabit, (I can not identify the sponge)

It seems that they spend their time in very long romps around the reef, maybe 100 yard circles with the male leading. He finds this sponge and starts eating, a few minutes later the female joins him and he leaves to find more sponge. I observed this a few times and it may be one reasonthat they don't last long in captivity. The longest I had one was 5 years and I accidently killed it woth some very old fish in an accident while I was away.

I have found a sponge growing in New York waters that the Idol just loves, mine would practically jump out of the water for it and it freezes well.

Just a thought.

I took this in Bora Bora.

tahiti.jpg

Thanks Albert.

I also love those Bangai cardinals. I don't have any now but my last pair just kept spawning. I think they are the easiest fish to get to spawn. I like them because they always look like they have seen a ghost with their fins sticking straight out.

Nice peaceful, very hardy fish.

While I am here I would also like to say something about moorish Idols that I see above.

I have kept quite a few of them and spent time with them in Bora Bora where I learned a few things that "may" help with their husbandry.

In almost all of them that I dove with they were in mated pairs. The only thing I saw them eat was a lime green sticky sponge that is common in the reefs that they inhabit, (I can not identify the sponge)

It seems that they spend their time in very long romps around the reef, maybe 100 yard circles with the male leading. He finds this sponge and starts eating, a few minutes later the female joins him and he leaves to find more sponge. I observed this a few times and it may be one reasonthat they don't last long in captivity. The longest I had one was 5 years and I accidently killed it woth some very old fish in an accident while I was away.

I have found a sponge growing in New York waters that the Idol just loves, mine would practically jump out of the water for it and it freezes well.

Just a thought.

I took this in Bora Bora.

tahiti.jpg

Wow that is very interesting that you were able to find a sponge that they like (and getting them the right food seems indeed to be the issue that hobbyists have in keeping them alive).

Do you have any idea what kind of sponge it is that you found, maybe a picture of it if you do not have an ID and maybe we can try and figure it out ...

Thanks for that post.

Albert

Thanks Albert.

I also love those Bangai cardinals. I don't have any now but my last pair just kept spawning. I think they are the easiest fish to get to spawn. I like them because they always look like they have seen a ghost with their fins sticking straight out.

Nice peaceful, very hardy fish.

Yes they are and there is a Banggai Rescue Project going on right now as you probably know because they are now endangered in the The Banggai Archipelago, a group of islands, which are located at the far eastern end of Central Sulawesi, Indonesia.

I think they are really surprising fish and so inactive during the day but then a totally different fish at night. Mine sat in the same spot for at least a week after I got him ... moving within maybe 1 inch max of that spot throughout the day, going forward and then backwards and never turning around, just swimming backwards a little and then back to the same spot. Odd behavior, but that's what they do.

Now he is more daring and has actually discovered "that there is another side to the tank", as I now see him move from one side to the other and then just hang out there for some time.

Albert

A few Pictures of my Dr.'s Family Practice Waiting Room

I have some more and will post them later as there are some real nice pieces of Coral in that tank. It is taken care of by a friend of mine that I have know for many many years and who does Aquarium Maintenance here in Atlanta

m1.png

m3.png

m4.png

m5.png

m6.png

m7.png

The tank is huge, and very high, and is rated at 600 gallons minus the displacement of the large amount of rock that is in there.

Albert

Hi Albert,

Apologies for not posting pics of my bubble algae syringe contraption but I got my CPR aqua fuge in the mail the other day and I just finished making the mods to it that allows the powerhead to be placed inside the unit and not in the DT.

On this note. I plan on using my fuge as a cheato house and refuge for pods. Should I add some miracle mud or sand to it. I am going to to add rock to it for sure but was curious about a substrate as well. What do you think?

I will add some snails to it as well. Will work on bubble algae tool tonight and hopefully post some pics tonight. Thanks.

Scott

Hi Albert,

Apologies for not posting pics of my bubble algae syringe contraption but I got my CPR aqua fuge in the mail the other day and I just finished making the mods to it that allows the powerhead to be placed inside the unit and not in the DT.

On this note. I plan on using my fuge as a cheato house and refuge for pods. Should I add some miracle mud or sand to it. I am going to to add rock to it for sure but was curious about a substrate as well. What do you think?

I will add some snails to it as well. Will work on bubble algae tool tonight and hopefully post some pics tonight. Thanks.

Scott

I don't know how much space you have, but you can add some live sand, and some live rock, and lots and lots of algae, and yes a few snails and maybe some other CUC's but not too many.

The flow through it should not be too high so use a PH that is not pushing hundreds and hundreds of gallons through it but I guess you are aware of that.

Just for my info : how much space do you actually have in there as based on that I may suggest some other additions ... and when you get the algae make sure you get pods too as you will want those in there.

Maybe you can post a top view pic of it ...

No problem on the Bubble algae remover pics .. just post them when you have it done. Thanks.

And on the wide opening syringes ... I was at my Dr.'s office yesterday and got a few of those black plugs they put on the front of the instrument they use to look in your ears and throat

Here is a pic of one ... the black thingie at the top, and they can be fitted to the front of a syringe to make the opening wider even after you cut a piece of the syringe ... they slip over it nicely. They also come with different width openings (I got both some of the wider and narrower ones given to me - just asked and told him what I was going to use them for)

earnob.png

Albert

The largest needle point I could obtain from my medics was a 14 gauge. It is rather large so I think it will do the trick. It is approximately 1.5-2" long. We use these size needles for starting an IV on wounded teammates when we need to push a lot of fluids/drugs in a short amount of time. They are very sturdy and I believe they will make good prying tools for removing the outer skin of the algae off the live rock.

As for the fuge, I purchased the small size which is 2.5 gallons. The powerhead is rated up to 600gph I believe. But, I added a flow regulator that ahold be able to effectively cut the flow to much slower. Any suggestion on what my flow through the fuge should be if my DT is a 20L with approximately 16-17 gallons of actual water?

Scott

The largest needle point I could obtain from my medics was a 14 gauge. It is rather large so I think it will do the trick. It is approximately 1.5-2" long. We use these size needles for starting an IV on wounded teammates when we need to push a lot of fluids/drugs in a short amount of time. They are very sturdy and I believe they will make good prying tools for removing the outer skin of the algae off the live rock.

As for the fuge, I purchased the small size which is 2.5 gallons. The powerhead is rated up to 600gph I believe. But, I added a flow regulator that ahold be able to effectively cut the flow to much slower. Any suggestion on what my flow through the fuge should be if my DT is a 20L with approximately 16-17 gallons of actual water?

Scott

Yes that is indeed rather large a gauge and if used in combination with the bottle assembly will do the trick I think and prevent the spores that come out of the bubble from getting in the water as long as you pull the plunger fast and long enough.

Once you have it assembled I'll be interested in seeing what it looks like versus the one I made, as based on what you posted, I like your idea better than mine, so I may assemble a similar one as I noticed that I have some red bubble algae here and there in my 20 Gallon.

I only see about 4 but there are probably more, I'll just have to find them and hope I can get to them. Fortunately if need be, I can remove all the rocks from the tank as except for that double headed Leather coral nothing is glued down.

On the fuge: obviously I know that you know that that PH is way too strong for the fuge so it is a good thing you have the regulator. I would try to lower the flow to a max of about 80-100 gallons per hour.

Once it is running, and in operation, you can gauge how well it is working on the nutrient levels in the water, and either lower the flow rate further or increase it a bit ...

In such a small fuge you really cannot put too much in it or there will not be much space for algae, so I would not put too much rock, just some small pieces, and lots of algae and of different types.

Also in that small space you cannot put too many CUc's either. Do you have a light for it as well that you can run in reverse daylight mode and can you shield it from the tank so that the light does not light up the tank during the night ?

Albert

Do you have any idea what kind of sponge it is that you found,

I have a picture someplace but I now have a new computer and they are on the old one among thousands of pictures.

The sponge grows wild here in New York in the summer but only on floating docks and right near the surface so they must be photosynthetic. They do not grow more than a few inches below the water.

The sponge looks exactly like a human ear, same color size and shape. It resembles those mushrooms you see growing on rotting wood. I just tear it off the docks and freeze it. It will not live more than a few hours out of it's envirnment and starts to rot very quickly but it freezes well and oddly enough, moorish Idols don't like it fresh, they prefer it frozen. Go figure.

It also grows in association with a bright red tree shaped sponge that they will not eat.

The other fish also eat this ear shaped sponge but not with the zeal moorish Idols eat it.

It does not grow on all floating docks here and I am not sure why. For instance it does not grow at the marina where my boat is but a couple of miles away toward the Bronx, the stuff is very common.

Moorish Idols also like bananas but only after they are frozen.

Strange but beautiful fish.

I have a picture someplace but I now have a new computer and they are on the old one among thousands of pictures.

The sponge grows wild here in New York in the summer but only on floating docks and right near the surface so they must be photosynthetic. They do not grow more than a few inches below the water.

The sponge looks exactly like a human ear, same color size and shape. It resembles those mushrooms you see growing on rotting wood. I just tear it off the docks and freeze it. It will not live more than a few hours out of it's envirnment and starts to rot very quickly but it freezes well and oddly enough, moorish Idols don't like it fresh, they prefer it frozen. Go figure.

It also grows in association with a bright red tree shaped sponge that they will not eat.

The other fish also eat this ear shaped sponge but not with the zeal moorish Idols eat it.

It does not grow on all floating docks here and I am not sure why. For instance it does not grow at the marina where my boat is but a couple of miles away toward the Bronx, the stuff is very common.

Moorish Idols also like bananas but only after they are frozen.

Strange but beautiful fish.

Wow that is an odd one indeed, and I am going to do some research and see if I can figure out what it could be. Sure is a strange one, but I think I may have seen a picture somewhere of one that looks like what you describe.

Moorish Idols eaten frozen bananas ... well that is interesting ... I knew that they mainly eat one type of sponge but bananas ... oh well always something new to learn in this hobby.

Thanks Paul for posting that info and if I find a picture of the sponge I'll post it so you can compare it to what you are finding

Albert

But I know you "invented" a number of other let's call it contraptions for our aquariums and you may wish to give us some information about those when you have time.

I do have an assortment of inventions and devices as I am now basically an inventor.

Nothing in my tank was purchased including the lights, skimmer, chiller, algae scrubber, denitrificator, UG filter rocks and most of the water.

I just like to build stuff, what can I tell you. I will put some up here because I don't know where else to put them.

Evaporative chiller. this chiller uses less than 10 watts but only chills the water in my tank about 3 degrees. It was just a test and I would have to build a larger one if I needed more chilling.

IMG_0989.jpg

This shows my LED fixture that is on a counterweight so it raises and lowers with a touch of a finger, the white thing in the back is an algae trough or scrubber. The idea for that is to offer the algae a better place to grow than in my reef. it works well to control the cycles of algae that my tank used to get,some lasting for quite a few months.

IMG_1821.jpg

Bristle worm trap with a water supply added to keep it fresh

IMG_1803.jpg