Innovative Marine Aquariums

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Entacmaea quadricolor, The Bulb/Bubble-tip Anemone

© Marine Habitat and John Clipperton

bubbletip.png

If you wish to introduce a Bubble-tip Anemone, you should take special care in the selection of your specimen.

In the shop, look for settled individuals that are firmly attached to a surface and well expanded. It is worth considering that small specimens of a few inches in diameter are generally regarded to acclimatise better than larger individuals.

Note that a healthy anemone usually has a closed puckered mouth and rich colouration. Very pale colouration can indicate a doomed individual that has bleached (expelled its symbiotic algae due to stress).

Once settled, usually with its base secured deep within a rocky crevice, most sources recommend feeding the anemone once a week with chopped meaty foods placed gently amongst the tentacles.

This is not one of the easiest anemones to keep but recent posts on this and other forums appear to indicate that hobbyists are having more success, although long term survival still seems to be an issue.

Link to the Full Article : http://www.marinehabitatmagazine.com/archives/5315

Albert

Hydrogen Sulfide and the Reef Aquarium

© Randy Holmes-Farley and reefkeeping.com

h2s.png

Reef aquarists fear a number of toxic chemicals in their aquaria.

Many of these, such as copper and detergents, can be avoided by controlling what is added to the aquarium.

Some, however, can be generated inside the aquarium, and consequently must be controlled in other ways.

One of these is hydrogen sulfide. It can be produced in an aquarium's anoxic regions, such as inside or under live rock, inside sand beds

Link to full article: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-12/rhf/index.php

Albert

When Spotfeeding does not Work Well - What can You do ?

Sometimes due to currents in the aquarium spot feeding, or target feeding, corals does not always work as well as we would like it to work.

Whatever we feed with a syringe, or similar device, seems to not stay around the coral for long enough, for it to be able to catch, or trap, the food stuffs we use.

This is especially so with the many liquid food forms that are on the market such as plankton and photo-plankton products ... and others as well.

In an email I received, a Hobbyist, a member on this Forum, asked how I dealt with such a situation.

Basically what I did was cut off the bottom part of a 2 Liter bottle of Soda, as can be seen below in the picture.

I place that simple, and inexpensive plastic bottle cut-off, over the coral, and then inject the food into it, so it stays around the coral for a longer period of time and so that the coral definitely gets a lot more food than it would if you just spot fed without using the open container.

Of course, depending on the location of the coral, you may have to hold the container in place with your hand (gloved), so that it does not tumble down if the coral is on a piece of LR, and the container, which is open at the top and bottom would not stay in place, unless you held it where you want it to be.

Also, you will need to consider its size (width and maybe even height) so that it serves the purpose it is intended for.

Mine is fairly large as the corals I need it for are at the bottom of the tank, and spread apart enough so I can just place it on the sand, over the corals (a Duncan and a Candy Cane) and then inject the food with one of those Baby Syringes that one can get at any pharmacy (either for a real low price or often for free just by asking for one).

Here is what mine looks like. Yours may be a little different depending on what plastic container you use to cut the piece you need out of.

feeder.png

I used a 2 Liter Bottle to make it but you can do the same with smaller plastic bottle or containers, so they fit the space where you will be using it.

Hopefully this makes sense but if you (who sent me the email) or anyone else, has any questions, feel free to post them here.

Albert

I've seen this done similarly, but with the neck and top of the bottle kept intact, so that all of the food stays trapped until consumed.

I've seen this done similarly, but with the neck and top of the bottle kept intact, so that all of the food stays trapped until consumed.

Yes that is indeed another way of doing it, depending on where the coral is positioned and what space for the contraption is available.

Thank you for pointing it out and in fact I have one of those a well :

flask.png

I use whichever on is more convenient at the time.

Good point and thanks for bringing it up.

Albert

An Event to Attend if you are in the Area

Announcement by : The Vermont Marine Aquarists and the Tropical Fish Club of Burlington

I hope that you'll join the Vermont Marine Aquarists and the Tropical Fish Club of Burlington with STEVEN PRO this Saturday at 1pm at the Essex Junction VFW.

He will be speaking on reef lighting.

There will be some sweet gift certificate raffles, some cheap/free frags for sale, as well as some munchies. Hope to see you there!

FYI

Albert

Hey Albert . I plan on doing my tank change this weekend and have a couple of corals I would like to get rid of. One is my cactus which is on a rock on it's own and the others are cabbage leather and keyna tree both are on the same rock together. Would you be interested in any or all of them "no charge" both the rocks are about fist size. Let me know .

David

Hey Albert . I plan on doing my tank change this weekend and have a couple of corals I would like to get rid of. One is my cactus which is on a rock on it's own and the others are cabbage leather and keyna tree both are on the same rock together. Would you be interested in any or all of them "no charge" both the rocks are about fist size. Let me know .

David

I'' ll PM you David. Thanks

Albert

Hi Albert skimmers arrived its a Bubble Magus Curve 5 direct from china :) Just picked up a new RO membrane so will be replacing my old one in a few mins time. Now I can crack on with my new tank just need to see if the skimmer will fit in my sump or if I will have to alter it. Lots to do now which will keep me busy. :o

Hi Albert skimmers arrived its a Bubble Magus Curve 5 direct from china :) Just picked up a new RO membrane so will be replacing my old one in a few mins time. Now I can crack on with my new tank just need to see if the skimmer will fit in my sump or if I will have to alter it. Lots to do now which will keep me busy. :o

Well that is good news .. glad it arrived, and yes I sure hope it fits in the sump ... if not you may need to put it besides it if that is possible.

Go go Les ... as I know you are going to have a lot of work to do as soon as you start the move from one tank to the other.

Good luck wit hit all and may all your reef keeping endeavors go super well ! :-) Thanks for the update.

Albert

:wub: Magnet! What a cutie!

Thanks eitallent and if you look carefully on the right you can see the Banggai Cardinal and the Lantern Basslet in the same picture ... I was happy to be able to catch those all together and to have a pic of Magnet looking sort of from behind the Cactus coral ...

Albert

A Few Pictures of My Tank Today

Looks like the Baby Yuma is finally getting small tentacles. Problem is feeding it, but it really is still too small to feed it anything at all, and I am sure it is getting some food particles out of the water and does get some light off the reflection from the front glass of the tank, as it is about 3/4 inch or so away from it.

Albert

Everything looks so happy. The baby Yuma is amazing!

Well that is good news .. glad it arrived, and yes I sure hope it fits in the sump ... if not you may need to put it besides it if that is possible.

Go go Les ... as I know you are going to have a lot of work to do as soon as you start the move from one tank to the other.

Good luck wit hit all and may all your reef keeping endeavors go super well ! :-) Thanks for the update.

Albert

Thanks Albert just tried it and the skimmer fit in beautifully :)

I also picked up a secondhand Tunze 6045 for just £10 about $13 They cost £70 here.

I also picked up a red bubble tip nem for just £20 about $25 off the same reefer. LFS price here around £60 so I am well chuffed ( Chuffed, is that an exclusive Brit saying? :lol: )

Les.

Everything looks so happy. The baby Yuma is amazing!

Yes, I think so too about that little Yuma, and finally I can see the tentacles developing.

Thanks for the kind words. They are appreciated.

Albert

Thanks Albert just tried it and the skimmer fit in beautifully :)

I also picked up a secondhand Tunze 6045 for just £10 about $13 They cost £70 here.

I also picked up a red bubble tip nem for just £20 about $25 off the same reefer. LFS price here around £60 so I am well chuffed ( Chuffed, is that an exclusive Brit saying? :lol: )

Les.

Yes I guess you can feel "pleased" and it is an English only expression I think ... Wow those are some great deals you got there.

On my end David (dling) is going to give me a few corals this week-end I think as he is changing tanks and he volunteered to give them to me ... how could I say no ... :-) BTW thanks David if you read this.

Nice buys and just what you need for the larger tank. Happy to read also that the skimmer does "fit" in the sump. Guess you feel chuffed about that too :-)

Keep us posted ... thanks.

Albert

Photos from Waterline Photos (I)

© Waterline Photos and its owner and photographer. Do not use these pictures for any purpose other than reposting them to FB as that is where they are shareable.

wph1.png

wph2.png

wph3.png

wph4.png

wph5.png

View more photos at :

http://www.facebook.com/WaterlinePhotos

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

Photos from Waterline Photos (II)

© Waterline Photos and its owner and photographer. Do not use these pictures for any purpose other than reposting them to FB as that is where they are shareable.

wph6.png

Staghorn Coral Garden

wph7.png

Yellow Head Jawfish

wph8.png

Moorea, Tahiti

wph9.png

wph10.png

Link to FB : .... http://www.facebook.com/WaterlinePhotos

Albert

Edited by albertthiel